Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 1396

Thread: King's worst novel?

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

It took me about 10 years of reading SK books before I finally read The Dark Tower series.
    But, it definitely changes everything SK you read after it. You notice every little thing in a different light, almost. TDT puts a magnifying glass on everything you read in SK'S books.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Well, out of the whole series the only one I enjoyed was The Waste Lands.

Well, at least you enjoyed my favorite one.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    All the SK fans that I know in real life have never read nor have any desire to read The Dark Tower series.
    This is something that I've noticed too. And I'm not totally sure why. Maybe because the publication of the books was so spaced out? Or not heavily promoted?

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    King estimates the number at about 50%.
    That sounds right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    Duma Key...Black House
    Oh no.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Sorry, Ricky.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Duma Key was horrible. Wireman was one of the most annoying side characters ever. One of King's most anti climatic too. Blech.

Gunslinger Apprentice cowboy_ed will become famous soon enough cowboy_ed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    what?!

: faints :
    Yeah, Duma Key was a welcome return of King back to his old form. One of the best things he has written in the last 15 years. Everything about it is just so good. Plot, story, character, language. Just an all-around great tale.

But to each his own. I would be interested to know exactly why cowboy_ed did not like it.
    I should caveat this by saying I loved Lisey's Story, and thought it was a really touching and spooky ode to love.

Duma Key, on the other hand, is at least 180 pages too long. The dialogue is excruciating; Wireman says the word muchacho SEVENTY times throughout the entire thing. No-one says one word, no matter what it is, that often.
    It was kind to the painting world, but the constant paint-get hungry-eat thing got old really quickly, and the ending was way too close to the DT7 ending, which wasn't any good to begin with.

That said, this is just one boy's opinion, so all the more power to you if you enjoyed it. I couldn't wait for it to end.

I haven't read it, but I also think that I'll probably never read Under the Dome, at least until SK is long gone and there's nothing else left to read. Can't really get into the idea (seriously, did no-one tell him about the Simpsons movie?) and the ending sounds... well, silly. But we'll see. I'd much rather talk positivity than negativity.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Duma Key was horrible. Wireman was one of the most annoying side characters ever. One of King's most anti climatic too. Blech.
    I don't agree that it was horrible, but do agree that the conclusion of Wireman's story was anticlimactic. It was like,
    Spoiler:
    "Edgar lived a happy life being friends with Wireman... and then he died."
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Tommyknockers...Tommyknockers...Tommyknockers! Lisey's Story is right up there as well.

Gunslinger Apprentice cowboy_ed will become famous soon enough cowboy_ed's Avatar

Is there a thread here of any contemporary reaction to Lisey's Story?

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Tommyknockers.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

When I think of SK's 'worst novels', all I can really name are the ones that either didn't keep my interest (meaning I wasn't completely and utterly obsessed with them, which is an odd feeling while reading SK), or ones that I have no desire to re-read after finishing.
    A few that come to mind are:

Duma Key
    The Regulators - Desperation is my favorite SK book, apart from TDT series. I was so excited to read The Regulators, but was sorely disappointed.
    Insomnia
    Black House - Again, I was excited to read this since I love The Talisman sooo much. I don't plan to re-read it again.

The Talisman is one of my top 5 SK books. It makes me sad to see how hated it is by a lot of people.
    both DK and BH are in bears' top five

grrrr...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy_ed View Post
    Wireman says the word muchacho SEVENTY times throughout the entire thing. No-one says one word, no matter what it is, that often.
    That's true. King often makes the same mistake. I try to overlook it when a book is truly great (like Duma Key)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I don't agree that it was horrible, but do agree that the conclusion of Wireman's story was anticlimactic. It was like,
    Spoiler:
    "Edgar lived a happy life being friends with Wireman... and then he died."
    That's, paradoxically, what impressed me real deep.

My personal bottom five:

Storm of a Century
    Dr.Sleep
    Rage
    The Eyes of the Dragon
    Lisey's Story

I am also very unimpressed by:

the Kennedy novel
    The Green Mile
    Hearts in Atlantis
    Bag of Bones
    Thinner
    The Running Man
    Regulators

which reminds me:

let's not forget this thread

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just curious, Jean, but is there any reason why you always refer to 11/22/63 as "the Kennedy novel"?

Country
    Country Flag

because I can never remember the figures and which comes first, and before I started calling it so, I had to google and copypaste every time

My personal bottom five:

The Eyes of the Dragon

I love Eyes of the Dragon.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Wireman was the greatest supporting character since Henry Leyden. That's not the trouble. (Repetitous cliches aside.) I found many problems about Duma Key, but lots of bright spots, as well, and the argument that it was a triumph holds up in some respects, I think. It's true the main climax flopped, (the central plot, after all being the conflict with Perse, all of which was mostly pretty weak) but the book made up for that by the way the character arc concluded in that intense secondary ending.

Feeve, I didn't know you were with it in the Desperation love. That's great! I so much agree with all your points.

I've long known that many are indifferent to TDT, but though I sometimes feel disgrunted with various aspects myself, I still can't really imagine being someone who can just blow it off altogether.

Jean, as always, too hard on EotD, and I so wish I could explain what you missed in HiA and (ouch) Bag of Bones.

Wireman says the word muchacho SEVENTY times throughout the entire thing. No-one says one word, no matter what it is, that often.
    this.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I should caveat this by saying I loved Lisey's Story, and thought it was a really touching and spooky ode to love.
    You’re like the 3rd person I’ve ever heard say they love Lisey’s Story and certainly one of the few I’ve heard to say they hate Duma Key.

and the ending was way too close to the DT7 ending, which wasn't any good to begin with.
    I don’t see this at all?

I haven't read it, but I also think that I'll probably never read Under the Dome, at least until SK is long gone and there's nothing else left to read. Can't really get into the idea (seriously, did no-one tell him about the Simpsons movie?) and the ending sounds... well, silly. But we'll see. I'd much rather talk positivity than negativity.
    FWIW, King had the idea long before the Simpsons did. Yes the ending kinda sucked but the rest of the book was pretty good IMHO.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    and I so wish I could explain what you missed in HiA and (ouch) Bag of Bones.
    These are two of my most favorite books. They are so heart-breaking and bittersweet. I think that’s one of the things I love about them.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Gunslinger Apprentice MandaBunny will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    FWIW, King had the idea long before the Simpsons did. Yes the ending kinda sucked but the rest of the book was pretty good IMHO.
    I agree, the book overall was good but the explanation for the Dome was lackluster. I'd prefer no explanation over one that fizzles out. Maybe if The Shop had somehow been behind it I'd like the end better.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Jean, as always, too hard on EotD,
    I probably am. It's because I am very partial to kids' literature, and judge it by higher standards than adults'.

and I so wish I could explain what you missed in HiA and (ouch) Bag of Bones.
    And so wish you would! I've already tried to re-read Bag of Bones (not Hearts, that would be too much) with you in mind, trying to see what you see - and failed. Every time mother and daughter appeared, I wanted to strangle both, and the rest of the time I was just bored.

Well, at least we both love Desperation! I'll do the reread in a couple of weeks, we have unfinished discussion about it.

Country
    Country Flag

My personal bottom five:

The Eyes of the Dragon

I love Eyes of the Dragon.

Well, at least we both love Desperation!
    Hey, that counts for something!

Country
    Country Flag

and the ending was way too close to the DT7 ending, which wasn't any good to begin with.
    I don’t see this at all?
    In terms of the Patrick Danville drawing things to affect real life idea that is basically the crux of DT7, it felt way too familiar.

I know that, but surely there was a duty of care from someone at his office or at his publishing house to tell him that the movie - which came out six months before he started writing the novel - existed, and that it made 500 million dollars at the box-office and that this:

was a thing he would have to deal with.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    King estimates the number at about 50%.
    He's probably about right. Although I wonder if it's a bit less.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    Liseys is the worst I think by far for me.

I have only read the gunslinger thus far, and am finding drawing somewhat hard to get through.
    Wow, someone else that doesn't care for The Drawing.... Everyone cringes when I say that. It was so boring, and could have been condensed down to a few chapters in a larger book.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    For me Tommyknockers, Dreamcatcher, and UTD were all confusing and lackluster books. The worst novel may be Dreamcatcher but there are others which could fit the bill.
    I really enjoyed all of these

Sorry, we can no longer be friends

My least favorites are Lisey's Story, Insomnia, and DT series. Also tried to read The Talisman but couldn't get into it at all. I still need to try to give Black House a go since it's so well loved (started it a few times but don't think I got off the first chapter). But I fear it might be similar to Talisman.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast