Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Please PICK TWO films to advance to the next round!

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Star Wars Episode V : The Empire Strikes Back

14 51.85%
  • Aliens

16 59.26%
  • Mad Max

4 14.81%
  • The Thing

7 25.93%
  • The Abyss

9 33.33%
  • The Day the Earth Stood Still

2 7.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Sci-fi Tournament - Round 3, Group F

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    The Abyss should be right up there as a strong contender. I can't believe it's not doing better.
    Not against Aliens and The Empire Strikes Back, it shouldn't!
    Maybe not... but could I ask again how come you don't think so?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    The Abyss should be right up there as a strong contender. I can't believe it's not doing better.
    Not against Aliens and The Empire Strikes Back, it shouldn't!
    I'd easily rank it above both of those films.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

This category has too many good films in it. I voted for Empire and Mad Max(in honesty, Aliens is probably the better sci fi film, but I just love the Mad Max movies too much), but it wasn't easy.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The Thing is on every single "Best Sci-Fi Movies" list I could find online. It's also listed as Sci-Fi on every major movie website. The Thing is Sci-Fi.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Sci-Fi in the loosest sense, because there is an alien in it. When I think of The Thing I think 'what a wicked horror movie' not 'what a wicked sci-fi film'. I'm not voting for the best movie to feature an alien or space or a robot when I vote, I'm voting for the best film that is first and foremost science fiction. If you were to have a checklist of all common things in a film to classify it as sci-fi The Thing would still only have 'alien' checked off. Love the thing but it's far more horror than sci-fi, not even close to a fifty-fifty split.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Sci-Fi in the loosest sense, because there is an alien in it. When I think of The Thing I think 'what a wicked horror movie' not 'what a wicked sci-fi film'. I'm not voting for the best movie to feature an alien or space or a robot when I vote, I'm voting for the best film that is first and foremost science fiction. If you were to have a checklist of all common things in a film to classify it as sci-fi The Thing would still only have 'alien' checked off. Love the thing but it's far more horror than sci-fi, not even close to a fifty-fifty split.
    Are you kidding me? The expedition force is scientists studying at a polar station and an alien and his craft are discovered. What more do you need?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

No, the alien and his craft are discovered at the Norwegian Base. The Plot of The Thing entails such little science considering it's a bunch of scientists in a remote outpost you wonder what they do out there at all. It's a monster movie that happens to have scientists and an Alien in it. While I don't think Mimic is too sci-fi heavy too, at least the monsters in the movie were generated by scientists trying to stop an epidemic that was killing the children of New York and deals with the hyper evolution of creatures they made and has more science fiction merit than The Thing does, but still is a monster movie above all else. Even Imdb has The Thing listed in this order: Horror, Mystery, Sci-Fi...meaning they consider it more mystery than sci-fi; comparatively Alien is marked 'Horror, Sci-Fi' while Aliens is marked 'Action, Adventure, Sci-fi'. A mere sci-fi element is not enough for me to vote for them in this tournament, regardless how much I may love a film. I like The Thing more than Day The Earth Stood Stood but the latter is a better sci-fi movie so I voted for it.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

You're very difficult to please. Glad you aren't in my "Secret Santa"!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Mike, could you at least cut&plaigarize some of the reasoning from those critics?

The Abyss is about scientists doing science, and the moral is we might find something wonderful.

If that is what The Thing is about, then the moral must be that we might find something awful.

BTW, I finally decided that I do believe that Gravity is sci-fi. It does not appear to say anything about the space program it features, but if you think about it, it really says that even if it is bad, it's better to go and try than to hide on Earth and never find out.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

If Alien, or Aliens win this contest outright, I am going to be so dissappointed.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The quarter finals are going to be fucking nuts lol.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Mike, could you at least cut&plaigarize some of the reasoning from those critics?
    I'm afraid I don't know what you're referring to.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I think he's referring to your post up there^ about The Thing being on every sci fi list you could find.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I think he's referring to your post up there^ about The Thing being on every sci fi list you could find.
    Oh, I'm not sure why he wrote "plagiarize" though. It makes me feel like he was implying that I plagiarize things I write. I'm probably taking it the wrong way.

Anyway, Path, I can't give you examples because many of the lists I speak of are lists I've read in the past. If you want to check for yourself, you can Google it just as easily as anybody else I would hope.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    It's a play on words. The proper term is copy & paste. I'm saying it would be more informative to hear your thoughts on what that film contributes to the genre than accounting of experts who agree., and joking that sharing quotes some of them might have made on the subject could be easier.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    If Alien, or Aliens win this contest outright, I am going to be so dissappointed.
    Me too.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Me too.
    I don't know why either of you would be...

They are both brilliant and Alien was very much the deserving winner of the Horror tournament.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    It's a play on words. The proper term is copy & paste. I'm saying it would be more informative to hear your thoughts on what that film contributes to the genre than accounting of experts who agree., and joking that sharing quotes some of them might have made on the subject could be easier.
    Okay, my mistake. I kind of figured I was misunderstanding you.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, you'd be right to object, strictly speaking - I was needling you a bit unfairly. We all tend to rely upon collective thought more often than not. You can tease your friends about such things, but I know you're supposed to build trust first. I'm just awkward that way: no respect for common manners. I pretty much treat everybody the same.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I hope those that voted against The Abyss without watching it (or having seen it a long time ago) will give it a chance after this. I know at least Heather agrees that it's one of the best sci-fi films ever made. To me it ranks right up there with Metropolis, Close Encounters, 2001, etc.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I hope those that voted against The Abyss without watching it (or having seen it a long time ago) will give it a chance after this. I know at least Heather agrees that it's one of the best sci-fi films ever made. To me it ranks right up there with Metropolis, Close Encounters, 2001, etc.
    I saw The Abyss, didn't like it then - still don't like it now. IMHO Aliens is James Cameron's masterpiece...

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Aliens? Not T1, T2, Titanic?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Aliens? Not T1, T2, Titanic?
    T1... No. IMO it's not as good as T2.

T2... Very, very good - certainly his next best film ever, but not quite Aliens.

Titanic... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Shit! I just sprayed coffee all over my laptop, AGAIN!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Well I'd rate Cameron's films something like this, more or less:
    1. The Abyss
    2. Titanic
    3. The Terminator
    4. Avatar
    5. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
    6. True Lies

All very good in their own ways. The Abyss is outstanding on every level. The unique underwater setting is only matched by Avatar's alien world. Titanic is a great film, despite people's apparent dislike of it, which I still don't understand. It was a monumental achievement. The hard sci-fi and gritty action of T1 is much better than the polished and shiny action of T2, though admittedly the T-1000 is very very cool.

Country
    Country Flag

Movie sins: Everything wrong with Titanic in 9 minutes or so....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb5V...HjRty7vVxLv39Y

A film so 'great' Stephen King had this to say about it:

"I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast