Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Time differences between worlds/levels of the Tower *spoilers*

Gunslinger Apprentice aurora is on a distinguished road aurora's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

LadyHitchhiker - no it is I that beg your pardon, I did not mean to offend if I did. Just rushing between classes earlier today.

obscurejude - That Keystone and all-world are twinners I'll totally agree to. That Roland is out to save keystone earth and other earths I agree with also. That King is writing a parody oo the evils of technology I'll also agree to.

What I don't understand is how/ Keystone and the other earths visited are so far behind All-world and yest the other earths visited are pretty dang close to the same points in time.

Also note I'm restricting this to those earths we know of since its highly possibly and even likely other earths are much closer to the time of All-worlds time.

Country
    Country Flag

Oh and mia/susannah than image ROCKS!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I imagine King's Multiverse and the Tower like our Sun and the planets...
    Some of them are closer... some of them are far away and they need more time to go around the Tower so time and the life are different on all of them. You can find similarities of course but in fact all of them include and hide different worlds.

Roland would have understood.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

That was a beautiful summation, Letti...

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

A beautiful description from a beautiful woman.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I agree with you wholely.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Aurora, we have a very limited view of the multiverse. Its like penguins discussing nuclear physics (a line I stole from House). Of the three different versions of Earth that we have, they are behind, but they remain three of an infinity on a purple blade of grass. We do know enough about the two that really matter, at least in my opinion, as I have already expressed.

My Mood
    Worried

Oooooooooooooh very nice, Jude...

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    I imagine King's Multiverse and the Tower like our Sun and the planets...
    Some of them are closer... some of them are far away and they need more time to go around the Tower so time and the life are different on all of them. You can find similarities of course but in fact all of them include and hide different worlds.

I like that way of seeing things. Great post, Letti.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Country
    Country Flag

Aurora, we have a very limited view of the multiverse.
    True, I did restrict this conversation to just a couple earths and more importantly I'd like to be concerned with just keystone earth. My understanding of the multi-verse is not limited just the bounds for this discussion.

This however maybe were I am wrong though. My understanding was that Keystone Earth was unique and the singular twinner to All-World, with the concession that a potentially infinite other earths do exist.

As I stated earlier there probably are other worlds much nearer the time period of All-World, but how is All Worlds Twinner so far behind time wise? As in how was 'the' Keystone world brought about much much later then potentially infinitely others?

Aurora, the Keysone world has not moved on yet. It hasn't climaxed, the technology hasn't gone haywire.

My Mood
    Worried

Tell that to my register at work!!!

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    THAT was funny
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    THAT was funny
    And true. I threatened to give it a lobotomy the other day. My manager says, "how do you give a computer a lobotomy?" I told her, "A magnet!"

Traveler FatherofRoland is on a distinguished road

:radioactive: ***Big Spoilers!!! Connections between the different worlds and history

The way the story ends, Roland is basically going around and around in this never-ending qwest, although he has the horn at the end, which may make some difference.

The todashes between Roland's world and the Key world of our world match up with certain pieces of modern history. The 60s for Sussanah, the 70s for Jake, and the 80s for Eddie. If he continues to go around and around. Does history move forward? Or does it go back in time to the same piece of history? Does he keep meeting the same people?

Also, the Black Sphere is underneath the WTC's right? and Doesn't 9/11 play some roll there? So how can Roland's quest start over?

They said that in the Keystone world they can't go back to a different time.

This is one thing I've wondered, if time in the Keystone Rose world is still going forward even while Roland is turned back...? It seems to me like "no" but its an interesting thing to wonder about.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Interesting question indeed.
    I don't think we can find the answer but we can make up theories. Just imagine if Keystone world can go just forward it means Roland's next loop will be extremly different. He doesn't have to save the rose or sai King anymore... because he has done it once.
    But is it possible that he could reach the Tower without saving them before? No way. I don't think so. And we do know it wasn't Roland's first loop not even the second so he must have saved the rose and King many times already.
    It means time must go backward in Keystone world as well.

But I can imagine that only the Tower is able to turn back time in Keystone world and noone else can do it. Not even with the help of magic doors.

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Absolutely Letti - I definitely believe the Keystone world only moves in one direction and that the Tower "rewinds" time in all worlds each time Roland loops.
    Time only goes one way in the Keystone world, but only when the Tower wants it to.

Country
    Country Flag

Time is a very untouchable and undescribable thing anyway.

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

That's a fact.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I think of it slightly differently.

I think the events of the DT books, Roland's loop in other words, have been cut out and removed from the normal passage of time. It exists in a little bubble somewhere outside of time - and will be constantly rewound and replayed (same characters each time) until Roland gets it right and bursts the bubble and the loop is inserted back into its correct place in time. (Think of it like a photograph that has been removed from an album - there is an empty space in the album to which the photo can be returned.)

We know that the time within the loop is not a fixed recording of events, its maleable, hence Roland having the horn at the end of this loop when previously he did not.
    I'd also imagine that Roland is not the only person in the multiverse to whom this is happening. I'd imagine Gan has many little pockets of time/loops that certain souls are doomed to replay until they "get it right".

Repetition.

Redemption.

Country
    Country Flag

But in fact because of this bubble time can go back everywhere where Roland appears or enters, do I understand it well?

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean...

...I'm saying that Roland never leaves this bubble, he is trapped within it...infact so is everyone else, but they never notice - and Roland only does when he has that awful moment of understanding at the top of the Tower.

Once Roland gets it right, the loop just becomes a normal part of history.

Did that make more sense?

I think I get you Lisa, and I have similar thoughts. It reminds me of that little room made out of candy that Sheemie created for Ted, Dinky, and himself to hang out in and plot the demise of Blue Haven. Ted described it to the tet as being outside of time, a little pocket if you will.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast