Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: The Three Kings

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    ok heres the link:

http://www.psykosmileys.com/sk.html

Hey bob are you in this pic? I'm pretty sure this guy had one of the palavar shirts on so I figured it might be you?

No thats me Dave/oy-the-brave

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    ok heres the link:

http://www.psykosmileys.com/sk.html

Hey bob are you in this pic? I'm pretty sure this guy had one of the palavar shirts on so I figured it might be you?

Nope not me - I belive that's oy-th-brave!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I guess I didn't see you there. That's who I thought was you. :/
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

First off, here's an article from The Washington Post

It was good to meet you Matt and Dora and "CRinVA" -- I know there were a bunch of other people there who I should have known but didn't get a chance to meet and greet. That's the way it goes with these things.

The Kings were in fine fettle. Tabby made some reference to being late because a man was driving and wouldn't stop to ask directions without naming names. She read from a novel in progress called The Potter's Rib. Owen read a new short story called "Nothing is in Bad Taste" that was received very well. Steve read the section from Duma Key where Wireman describes la lotteria or what happened to his wife and daughter.

Some of the readings were "spicy" in terms of language, which led me to wonder if the Lutheran Church of the Reformation would have to be reconsecrated afterward.

Afterwards there was a brief Q&A that was as lame as these often are, where the questions imply the answers (Owen, did your father ever read you bedtime stories? Owen replies, "Yes.")

The signing was well organized. No inscriptions or photos, which sped things along. That part was held in the Folger Shakespeare Library, a very impressive building with lots of old manuscripts on display and tapestries on the walls.

I met up with the group from Cemetery Dance beforehand, so I was in good company. It was a lot of fun. I also got to spend some time in the Smithsonians earlier in the day and to take in the cherry blossoms, which were in full bloom.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Great meeting you too Bev, I am glad we got a chance.

The blossoms were amazing-overall it was one of the greatest day of my life for about 12 different reasons.

Thanks for posting the article.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Awsome article!!!!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Quote Originally Posted by Nerak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer View Post

Finally, I got to meet the man himself, people were moving along quickly, he had an assistant taking books from the people in line and handing them to him to sign, so there was zero chance of more than one item per person, and to keep the line moving. King was trying to accomodate everyone, so he wasn't talking much. In fact, I didn't expect him to say anything at all, but, when he signed my book, a The Drawing of the Three Grant First Edition, he stopped, started to flip the pages a bit, and said to me, "I don't think I've ever seen this before. That's cool! Thank you." Yeah, that made my night right there. I was awestruck, to say the least.

get the hell out...I will have to mail him one!! LOL
    I talked to Robert and he said that Sai King got multitudes of this version, he might have been commenting on the fact that he hadn't seen it at a signing in quite some time, is all.

Sorry Spence!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Does anyone know if this event was recorded? Sound and/or audio? I'd have loved to have been there.

John

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

They were taking many pictures of it, but I am not sure if it was recorded John.

I would love it if it was, relive the experience all over again.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

To the best of my knowledge, it wasn't recorded. There was a photographer who may have been an archivist for PEN/Faulkner or a reporter.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, it wasn't recorded. There was a photographer who may have been an archivist for PEN/Faulkner or a reporter.
    Just rememberd that n the intro they told of The Three Kings speaking at about 150 school students. How cool is that? What a special treat they got!

Spoiler:

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Very cool!

I would have loved to be one of those kids. The interview Bev posted has a bunch of info on what they were up to the first part of the day.

There are some media photos here from the LOC visit. They're all watermarked but at least you can see 'em.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Great article, thanks for the link, Bev. And thanks for your summary as well.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

John F. Kennedy Mr. Ink is on a distinguished road Mr. Ink's Avatar

What I thought was great were the introductions as well. The reminder to turn off cell phones was hilarious! "You have all heard of Stephen's new book...so for the safety of the human race, please turn off your cell phones now!"

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer View Post

Finally, I got to meet the man himself, people were moving along quickly, he had an assistant taking books from the people in line and handing them to him to sign, so there was zero chance of more than one item per person, and to keep the line moving. King was trying to accomodate everyone, so he wasn't talking much. In fact, I didn't expect him to say anything at all, but, when he signed my book, a The Drawing of the Three Grant First Edition, he stopped, started to flip the pages a bit, and said to me, "I don't think I've ever seen this before. That's cool! Thank you." Yeah, that made my night right there. I was awestruck, to say the least.

get the hell out...I will have to mail him one!! LOL
    I talked to Robert and he said that Sai King got multitudes of this version, he might have been commenting on the fact that he hadn't seen it at a signing in quite some time, is all.

Sorry Spence!
    I was sure that was probably what it was, I couldn't concieve of the fact that he's NEVER seen one before.

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I was told by the ladies handling the signing line that the photographers were with PEN/Faulkner, I wouldn't doubt it if there was a reporter or 2 as well. This one blond girl with curly hair kept snapping shots of the crowd, and didn't look too excited, so every time she aimed the camera anywhere near where I was, I gave a cheesy thumbs up to try to make her laugh. It worked once or twice.

For those of you who attended the signing, I read a book last summer called Interred With Their Bones by Jennifer Lee Carrell that is set at least in part in the Shakespeare Library (my review). I call it "The Shakespeare Code." Tries hard to be a thriller, but isn't quite, but has lots of neat Shakespeare info, and it was fun to be in a place on Friday night that was one of its major settings .

Here's my full writeup at Cemetery Dance's blog

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Wonderful write up Bev, Dora was in the picture of the crowd

Mindy at Cemetery Dance took some of those pictures, one of their customers took others.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm in the second picture!!!!!!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I just realized I'm in there too

Walking over to glad hand someone.

Country
    Country Flag

Where are you Matt, I searched, but I don't see you. I did however just notice that the other 5 people that I was with are there too. Am I blind or what?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll have to take a look tinight - my iffice blcoks anything myspace related ! :-(

Spoiler:

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast