Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The Three Kings

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, and I understand you can call the box office to have the will call name changed if you buy one.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

2 KINGs

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Is there a picture in the above post?

Goldmember Míchéal is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Yeah there is, is that King's son?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, it's him King and his son Joe Hill(strom King)
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Goldmember Míchéal is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

He looks older than I thought he'd be

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger1987 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Yeah there is, is that King's son?
    thanks gunslinger--exactly what I needed.

Traveler Hippiechick1 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Hey All,
    I am leaving in the morning for DC! Woo Hoo!
    Look for me - I will be traveling with my 29 year old daughter and wearing a black shirt with skulls and crossbones that says "Hugs and Kisses".
    Donna Girard

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I gotta go to bed so I can get some sleep. I'll leave here around noon, so I don't have to get up all early and stuff, and I'll actually remember the tickets if my leaving and the letters A.M. are in no way connected tomorrow.

Traveler Captainhowdy is on a distinguished road

hey there, just dropping in from the SK board to say hi to those going. Matticus, has a new meeting place been decided upon since LeBon will be closed? A bunch of us are meeting up at the theater and will probably just head for Penn ave afterward where theres supposed to be a lot of places to eat/drink.

I get off work at 7, catch my train at 7:20 and will be in DC by 11am. I'm just going to get checked in and then head over to the theater and see whats up. Anyone wants to say hi, I'm an older female metalhead, will be wearing a ramones tshirt, zippered jeans and a vampirefreaks.com hoodie. Come hang out in the rain with me

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

My best wishes to everyone who is privileged to attend.

John

Country
    Country Flag

I'm just figuring on meeting people at the reading and seeing what we all want to do from there after the signing.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

OK I'll report in - The Three Kings reading / booksigning was teriffic! I first met David (wizardsrainbow) and his son and also quickly met up with Oy The Brave and Spencer! Matt spotted us and we all chatted while waiting for Will Call to open up. I hope this worked out OK for Matt - he told us that he was staying in Baltimore and the last train back to Baltimore left Union Station at 10:30pm so he was thinking he would not even be able to get a book signed. The walk from the Fogler to Union Station was probalby 15 minuts or so. I hope it all worked out Matt!!!!!

Ooh almost forgot I passed Bev Vincent who was getting in the line after obtaining his will call ticket - I was in the will call line at that moment so just said hi!

I also ran into a SKEMER frined (Hippiechick) named Donna Girard whom I have met at least once before in Bangor. I ended up sitting next to Donna in the church for the reading. And stood in line with her for the signing too!

Church was packed - no pictures allowed - I took one of the podium area before The Three Kings came out and was quickly approached and told no pictures! No pics allowed at the signing either!

I estimated that there were ~400 people by counting the number of rows of pews and how many people were in each row.

Tabatha read first - very funny - very short - Tavvy was short, not her reading which I thought was long - almost had to stand on tiptoe to look over the podium. She read from Potter's Rib - a new book she is working on. It's about counterfeiting of fine china - potter as in potters wheel and rib as in a tool the potter uses!

Owen read a short story - funny - odd - different - I liked it but not the ending. All I can say is they just had to park the car! Owen also read from the podium and it was odd to hear a reading with the word fuck and talk of sex acts on bear skins rugs, etc while sitting in a church! Twice Tabby covered her ears while Owen was reading - too funny!

Stephen read last and he read from his chair on stage - he read a passage from Duma Key. A passage of the two main characters talking. I haven't read Duma Key yet so can't say much! Other than I need to get it read!!!!

After the reading there was a Q&A session and they took 5 or 6 questions only as the reading took longer than anticipated! Nothing outstanding revealed, although King did say that Marvel was probably going to do The Stand as comic/graphic novelization.

Once Q&A was over we headed back to the Folger for the signing/reception. Funny as I was in line and the guy in front of me was excited about getting his favorite King book - Carrie - signed. I asked if it was a First and he said it was a BOMC edition. I showed him my Carrie 1st and he was just about drooling over it! :-) I gave my daughter three books to get signed - she got my Carrie signed, We're all in this Together and Candle's Burning. I got Stephen and Tabatha to sign Mid-Life Confidential. I actually got to speak to Tabby more - she was surprized to see that particular book and she told me she still has a bunch of pictures that she is holding hostage over those early RBR members!

I tried to get Owen to sign "For Owen" in Skeleton Crew but he wouldn't! Did not get to spend much time with Stephen - he sat at a table next to Tabby and Owen and there was a gentleman there I think helping to usher people through pretty quickly - also no personlizations allowed due to the late hour and the number of people in line.

We also grabbed some drink and hors'douvers (sp?) before finally heading off to the metro and the ride home. While eating some cheese and crackers I spotted Bev in line and had a quick chat with him. It was great to finally meet you Bev after chatting off and on through SKEMERs, the old SKBB (The Green Mile - from S&S Web page), the darktower.net, Bevs message board at bevvincent.com and here at thedarktower.org! I got home at about 1:00am!

PS I told Matt that I had a contribution to the prize list for the Haven Fundraiser but got separated and never gave it to him. Matt, it will go out in the mail in a day or two!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for posting about your experience at the event, Bob. I'm glad you had such a wonderful time and that you got to meet so many other TDT.com members in the bargain!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Fantastic. Cool to imagine "graphic" readings from a church pulpit.
    Thanks for sharing.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    ... Cool to imagine "graphic" readings from a church pulpit. ...
    Yeah, and with your MOM sitting there too.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    Twice Tabby covered her ears while Owen was reading - too funny!

Thanks for sharing your experience, Bob.

I found the above sentence interesting and perhaps disingenuous on Mrs. King's part. From what I have heard she is often an extremely profane person. I guess it's different when you hear the same words you use frequently coming from your offspring but still.......

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hey Crinva, I think I saw you there yesterday! Were you the one with the white DarkTower.com shirt? Kind of tall?

Anyway, I had a great time yesterday! We left the house around 2:00pm and got home around 1:00am (late night, but well worth it). When we got to Union Station, we ate lunch and walked around. That place is huge! It has restaurants, shopping, and even a movie theater. You could practically live there.

After we ate, we walked around DC for awhile until it was time to get in line for tickets. We saw the Washington monument, the Captiol Building, Supreme Court building, and a couple others. One of the monuments that we came to (we thought!) was the Lincoln Memorial. Well, we asked the guard what this monument was, and he responded by saying, "You've got to be kidding, right? this is the Supreme Court." Go figure.

By the time we were done looking at the monuments, it was just about time that I wanted to get in line (about 6:00pm). We waited on the church steps for an hour and a half with a bunch of people. It was really cool to be able to talk to people that came from all around the country to be there. The wait went by really quick because there were so many people to talk to.

Finally at 7:30pm, the doors opened so we could pick up our tickets from the Will Call window. When we advanced to Will Call, they gave us our tickets and sent us to the back of the line. They did that with everyone. Once everyone picked up their tickets, we were about in the middle of the line. Keep in mind there were about 475 people there! The doors opened again, and everyone went in to get their seats. It was really cool because I was in the 4th row from the front. Being that the first 3 rows were reserved, I was as close as I could possibly get.

Once everyone was seated, a person from the Folger introduced Stephen, Tabitha, and Owen. Tabitha read first, then Owen, and Stephen read last. The reading lasted for about an hour/hour and a half. Following the reading there was a short Q&A with the Kings. I didn't get a chance to ask a question though.

When the Q&A was finished, we all went across the street to the Folger for the signing and reception. It was 8 or 9:00pm by that time. While we were in line, there was a lady from a small newspaper that said she wanted to ask me how I first became interested in Stephen King, so I told her. I gave her my address and she said she's send me a copy of the paper when it was published. I thought that was pretty cool.

The line for the signing went pretty fast and we weren't waiting outside for too long (at least it didn't rain!). I was suprised at how organized everyone was - no rushing, no running to be the first in line, no pushing, etc. It was really nice. Once we actually got in the building, there were drinks and some food that we could take while we were waiting in line. Once we got up to the front of the line, there was a room that we went into where the Kings were signing the books. A lady asked us to see our ticket stub to prove that we actually bought a ticket. We finally got into the room and there were about a dozen or so people ahead of us.

When I was next in line, I opened my book (The Stand) to the title page so he could sign it. Because it was so late and there were alot of people, they really pushed the line along fast and we really weren't able to say alot to him. I handed the book to his assistant who then handed it to Stephen King and he signed it for me. I shook his hand and he thanked us for coming out and waiting all this time. We left the signing room around 11:30pm and went back to Union Station to get our car and drive home.

I had a great time and am glad that I was able to go. However, they prohibited pictures so I don't have too many to post, but I do have some pictures of DC and I was able to snag one picture of all three Kings.
    Last edited by Ricky; 04-05-2008 at 09:53 AM. Reason: misspelling :/

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Hey Crinva, I think I saw you there yesterday! Were you the one with the white DarkTower.com shirt? Kind of tall?
    I was wearing a white DT.Com shirt! Probably was me - although I am not tall by any means - I am 5' 9".

Where did you come in from anyway? I live about 35 miles south of here so it was a local trup form me - drive to the metro and then ride the metro the rest of the way. Took me about 1 hr 15 min to get to DC and 10 minutes to walk to the Folger!

Spoiler:

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Great post CRinVA, i really enjoyed reading that

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I was wearing a white DT.Com shirt! Probably was me - although I am not tall by any means - I am 5' 9".

Where did you come in from anyway? I live about 35 miles south of here so it was a local trup form me - drive to the metro and then ride the metro the rest of the way. Took me about 1 hr 15 min to get to DC and 10 minutes to walk to the Folger!
    I came from Baltimore. Far...I know It sounds like it took you the same amount of time as us to get there. We drove to Union Station and then walked to the Folger.

Now I'm convinced that I did see you.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for sharing, Kevin.

Country
    Country Flag

I had a great time as well!

When I first got there around 5, only a few people were there, so I went to a local pub, The Hawk and Dove, GREAT place, I had a crabmeat and cheese omlette that was excellent, and chatted with a very cool couple from New York who were also there for the signing.

Patrick, they had Guiness ON TAP. Not even at the event yet and already I'm having fun.

CR has told you all about all of us getting to catch up for a bit, my one regret about the event was that we all only got to chat for that few minutes. I wish the event had started earlier so we'd have had a chance to hang out more. I think I saw Dora in the crowd as well, but didn't get to speak to her, if it was her, as everyone was busy trying to fiigure out what the hell was going on and what line to stand in. I wish I had, she's always been very nice to me. The event was awesome, but the whole lining up, distributing tickets and getting people in was very disorganized, although not nearly as bad as what I heard about that Connecticut bookstore signing a few years ago.

The hostess lady actually pulled a funny during the intros. She described the general plot of Cell, and said that we should turn out cell phones off "for the safety of the entire human race."

Tabitha read from her work in progress, "Potter's Rib." Good stuff, with a few very funny lines. I look forward to the finished product. Great domestic moment as she was beginning. She walked up to the pulpit that the preacher preaches from. She asked Stephen if that was OK, he said yes, then she said that maybe she'd sit, Steve said that was OK too, then she changed her mind again and went back up to the pulpit, citing that her daughter (Naomi) would be jealous of her mom speaking in such a big church because Naomi is a minister.

Owen was up next. I can't remember the titlle of the story, but it's in sub-topics magazine, and it deals with people hearing someone say something and then using that saying in every situation, kind of in a mocking way, in this case, when you do something crazy, silly, or with finality, you "just HAD to park the car." Great, great story, but, as CR said, I wasn't a big fan of the ending. Hey, he IS a King, and, as his dad says "it's all about the journey." I think this story embodied that statement.

Steve was up last, and he read from Duma Key. The story he read is found on pages 222-231. Without spoiling Duma Key for those that haven't read it, the main character, Edgar Freemantle, befriends a man named Jerome Wireman, who has some problems, to say the least. This is Wireman's story, him telling Edgar all about what happened to him. It was amazing listening to King read his own work. Just brilliant. Comparing his reading style to his writing style is like comparing apples to oranges, which, as this story shows, can be quite dangerous.

The signing was next. When they said one book signed per author per person, they were NOT playing. There were a lot of folks with backpacks and bags full of books that didn't like that rule one bit, but everyone was great throughout the night, I didn't see anyone getting rowdy.

When I finally got to the table where the Kings were seated, they reiterated the no photos rule, my least favorite rule, and then it was my turn to meet them. Tabitha was very nice and gracious. I then told Owen how much I loved his story and would try to get ahold of the magazine it's in. He signed his book and said he really hoped I would enjoy it, and I said "I bet I will." He's a great guy, and I really hope he makes it big as a writer, his work is very good.

Finally, I got to meet the man himself, people were moving along quickly, he had an assistant taking books from the people in line and handing them to him to sign, so there was zero chance of more than one item per person, and to keep the line moving. King was trying to accomodate everyone, so he wasn't talking much. In fact, I didn't expect him to say anything at all, but, when he signed my book, a The Drawing of the Three Grant First Edition, he stopped, started to flip the pages a bit, and said to me, "I don't think I've ever seen this before. That's cool! Thank you." Yeah, that made my night right there. I was awestruck, to say the least.

On the way out, I met Bev Vincent, got to chat with him and get a picture with him, for which I was yelled at by Security. (Me and authority never do get along. ) Bev was very nice, and I enjoyed having a few moments to praise his work and find out about some of his upcoming work.

All in all, just a great night. Again, I do wish us folks that came to the event had had a chance to hang out and get to know each other more, but about the event itself, I ain't complaining. Not one bit. It was worth every dollar and every mile.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Twice Tabby covered her ears while Owen was reading - too funny!

Thanks for sharing your experience, Bob.

I found the above sentence interesting and perhaps disingenuous on Mrs. King's part. From what I have heard she is often an extremely profane person. I guess it's different when you hear the same words you use frequently coming from your offspring but still.......
    Bob I am pretty sure she covered her ears for effect! Yes she can swear and curse with the best sailer from what I have heard!

A couple of times during Owen's reading he seemed to stumble over some words - skip them perhaps - I got the feeling that he was self censoring himself - perhaps because we were in a church - perhaps because his Mom was sitting right there!

Spoiler:

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast