Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Official 2024 Oscar Discussion/Contest Thread

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The Official 2024 Oscar Discussion/Contest Thread

This thread is long overdue.

Welcome to the 2023 Oscar Contest! There are a lot of Oscar-type films that are starting to be released, so I thought it was about time to create our Oscar thread.

The Rules

Oscar night is right around the corner, so I'm going to post the rules for those who might not be familiar with them. Please tell your friends from other boards to come on over and join us. The more the merrier.

You have until showtime on March 10, 2024.

IMPORTANT: Don't forget the tie breaker. It's simple: Basically, everybody will submit their choices like usual, except they will also add which film they think will win the most Oscars and give a number. In case of a tie, whomever has the closest number without going over is the winner. If the tie remains, the person who submits their ballot earliest is the winner.

Predictions have to be in by showtime, so there is no rush to post them. We still have some time before Oscar night. I myself will be waiting for the last possible moment to post my predictions.

Remember, these are just educated guesses. None of us have seen every film nominated and I doubt if anybody has seen any of the documentary short subject nominees. Just make an educated guess. Or an uneducated guess.

Returning this year:

Returning this year will be the online ballot submission I created. Of course, ballots can still be submitted here. https://bit.ly/OscarContest2024

Where it says "name" just put your DT.org handle, or designate in some way that you are from the Dark Tower boards. I will be sharing the same contest form with other friends and I don't want to get them confused.

An the nominees are...

Best Picture

American Fiction
    Anatomy of a Fall
    Barbie
    The Holdovers
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    Maestro
    Oppenheimer
    Past Lives
    Poor Things
    The Zone of Interest

Best Directing

Justine Triet - Anatomy of a Fall
    Martin Scorsese - Killers of the Flower Moon
    Christopher Nolan - Oppenheimer
    Yorgos Lanthimos - Poor Things
    Jonathan Glazer - The Zone of Interest

Best Actor in a Leading Role

Bradley Cooper - Maestro
    Colman Domingo - Rustin
    Paul Giamatti - The Holdovers
    Cillian Murphy - Oppenheimer
    Jeffrey Wright - American Fiction

Best Actress in a Leading Role

Annette Bening - Nyad
    Lily Gladstone - Killers of the Flower Moon
    Sandra Hüller - Anatomy of a Fall
    Carey Mulligan - Maestro
    Emma Stone - Poor Things

Best Actor in a Supporting Role

Sterling K. Brown - American Fiction
    Robert De Niro - Killers of the Flower Moon
    Robert Downey Jr. - Oppenheimer
    Ryan Gosling - Barbie
    Mark Ruffalo - Poor Things

Best Actress in a Supporting Role

Emily Blunt - Oppenheimer
    Danielle Brooks - The Color Purple
    America Ferrera - Barbie
    Jodie Foster - Nyad
    Da’Vine Joy Randolph - The Holdovers

Best Adapted Screenplay

American Fiction
    Barbie
    Oppenheimer
    Poor Things
    The Zone of Interest

Best Original Screenplay

Anatomy of a Fall - Screenplay by Justine Triet and Arthur Harari
    The Holdovers - Written by David Hemingson
    Maestro - Written by Bradley Cooper & Josh Singer
    May December - Screenplay by Samy Burch; Story by Samy Burch & Alex Mechanik
    Past Lives - Written by Celine Song

Best Animated Feature

The Boy and the Heron
    Elemental
    Nimona
    Robot Dreams
    Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

Best Documentary Feature Film

Bobi Wine: The People’s President
    The Eternal Memory
    Four Daughters
    To Kill a Tiger
    20 Days in Mariupol

Best International Feature Film

Io Capitano - Italy
    Perfect Days - Japan
    Society of the Snow - Spain
    The Teacher’s Lounge - Germany
    The Zone of Interest - United Kingdom

Best Animated Short Film

Letter to a Pig
    Ninety-Five Senses
    Our Uniform
    Pachyderme
    War Is Over! Inspired by the Music of John & Yoko

Best Live-Action Short Film

The After
    Invincible
    Knight of Fortune
    Red, White and Blue
    The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar

Best Documentary Short Film

The ABCs of Book Banning
    The Barber of Little Rock
    Island in Between
    The Last Repair Shop
    Nǎi Nai & Wài Pó

Best Cinematography

El Conde
    Maestro
    Oppenheimer
    Poor Things

Best Costume Design

Barbie
    Napoleon
    Oppenheimer
    Poor Things

Best Makeup and Hairstyling

Golda
    Maestro
    Oppenheimer
    Poor Things
    Society of the Snow

Best Original Song

“The Fire Inside” from Flamin’ Hot - Music and Lyric by Diane Warren
    “I’m Just Ken” from Barbie - Music and Lyric by Mark Ronson and Andrew Wyatt
    “It Never Went Away” from American Symphony - Music and Lyric by Jon Batiste and Dan Wilson
    “Wahzhazhe (A Song for My People)” from Killers of the Flower Moon - Music and Lyric by Scott George
    “What Was I Made For?” from Barbie - Music and Lyric by Billie Eilish and Finneas O’Connell

Best Original Score

American Fiction
    Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
    Oppenheimer
    Poor Things

Best Production Design

Barbie
    Napoleon
    Oppenheimer
    Poor Things

Best Film Editing

Anatomy of a Fall
    The Holdovers
    Oppenheimer
    Poor Things

Best Sound

The Creator
    Maestro
    Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning Part One
    Oppenheimer
    The Zone of Interest

Best Visual Effects

The Creator
    Godzilla: Minus One
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
    Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning, Part One
    Napoleon
    Last edited by Still Servant; 03-10-2024 at 11:04 AM.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't been around here much recently, which I hope to change. I didn't want to go too much longer without creating this thread.

We are currently in the middle of Oscar season. Over the past few weeks, I've seen a number of films that might find themselves with a few nominations come Oscar night. Some I've enjoyed and some I've been kinda lukewarm on.

I'll start with the uninspiring. I'm a huge Ridley Scott fan and I really loved The Last Duel. It's a film that deserved more eyeballs when it was released a few years ago. Jodie Comer should have been nominated for an Academy Award. Needless to say, I was really hyped for Napolean. Scott is really in his wheelhouse with historical films and Joaquin Phoenix is just a fantastic actor. Unfortunately, the film was just... fine. It wasn't bad by any means, but we have seen similar films done better.

I saw Saltburn on Friday night and I haven't stopped thinking about it since. Emerald Fennell won an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay for Promising Young Woman and I could see her winning another one for Saltburn. I could argue she should get a nod for direction as well. Barry Keoghan gives a performance that is hard to describe. He's doing things in this film that many actors would be reluctant to do. It's a mesmerizing performance. It's possible that Saltburn is just too odd for the Academy, but I hope I'm wrong.

Killers of the Flower Moon has been in development for a long time and it was worth the wait. I enjoyed it but didn't love it. I love how some of these streaming services are allowing legendary directors to do their own thing, but you feel every minute of the 206-minute runtime. If there was ever any doubt that Leonardo DiCaprio is one of the greatest actors of all-time, then his performance here should put those doubts to rest. He literally transforms his face to deliver every line. Lily Gladstone is another standout here and she gives a sad, heart-breaking performance.

Up next is Poor Things, directed by Yorgos Lanthimos. He's one of my favorite directors, so I've been looking forward to this one.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Good to see you, and thanks for the thoughts on these! And the thread.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Mikey I didn't get to watch Saltburn in theaters since it was limited run, but it's coming out on streaming this month apparently? So I'll check it out then.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I just saw Poor Things and I think Emma Stone is a front-runner for Best Actress. As for Best Supporting Actor, I'm not sure how Mark Ruffalo doesn't take that easy.

Country
    Country Flag

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The Oppenheimer sweep at the GG made me happy.

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    The Oppenheimer sweep at the GG made me happy.
    I don't see anything beating it for Best Picture. I also think it's time for Nolan to win an Oscar for Best Director.

I've been on the Cillian Murphy bandwagon since I saw his haunting performance in June, but I just saw The Holdovers and I think Giamatti has a huge shot at it.

I adored the film, which was heightened for me because Giamatti graduated from the boarding school my mom has worked at for 35 years, Choate Rosemary Hall. Dominic Sessa, who plays Angus, went to Deerfield, which is Choate's main rival. You can tell both actors are familiar with boarding schools. It came through in their performances and chemistry.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

And the actual nominations are dropping Tuesday morning:

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

People are really unhappy Robbie and Gerwig didn't get nominated. I don't think it's that big of a deal. I think it's more a case of Barbie is likely the only film nominated for Actress or Director the average person has seen so they have no reference level.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

You have to admit the irony though. Gosling getting nominated and Margot/Greta not getting nominated is basically what Barbie was about lol.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

And the nominees are...

Best Picture

American Fiction
    Anatomy of a Fall
    Barbie
    The Holdovers
    Maestro
    Oppenheimer
    Past Lives
    Poor Things
    The Zone of Interest

Best Directing

Justine Triet - Anatomy of a Fall
    Martin Scorsese - Killers of the Flower Moon
    Christopher Nolan - Oppenheimer
    Yorgos Lanthimos - Poor Things
    Jonathan Glazer - The Zone of Interest

Best Actor in a Leading Role

Bradley Cooper - Maestro
    Colman Domingo - Rustin
    Paul Giamatti - The Holdovers
    Cillian Murphy - Oppenheimer
    Jeffrey Wright - American Fiction

Best Actress in a Leading Role

Annette Bening - Nyad
    Lily Gladstone - Killers of the Flower Moon
    Sandra Hüller - Anatomy of a Fall
    Carey Mulligan - Maestro
    Emma Stone - Poor Things

Best Actor in a Supporting Role

Sterling K. Brown - American Fiction
    Robert De Niro - Killers of the Flower Moon
    Robert Downey Jr. - Oppenheimer
    Ryan Gosling - Barbie
    Mark Ruffalo - Poor Things

Best Actress in a Supporting Role

Emily Blunt - Oppenheimer
    Danielle Brooks - The Color Purple
    America Ferrera - Barbie
    Jodie Foster - Nyad
    Da’Vine Joy Randolph - The Holdovers

Best Adapted Screenplay

American Fiction
    Barbie
    Oppenheimer
    Poor Things
    The Zone of Interest

Best Original Screenplay

Anatomy of a Fall - Screenplay by Justine Triet and Arthur Harari
    The Holdovers - Written by David Hemingson
    Maestro - Written by Bradley Cooper & Josh Singer
    May December - Screenplay by Samy Burch; Story by Samy Burch & Alex Mechanik
    Past Lives - Written by Celine Song

Best Animated Feature

The Boy and the Heron
    Elemental
    Nimona
    Robot Dreams
    Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

Best Documentary Feature Film

Bobi Wine: The People’s President
    The Eternal Memory
    Four Daughters
    To Kill a Tiger
    20 Days in Mariupol

Best International Feature Film

Io Capitano - Italy
    Perfect Days - Japan
    Society of the Snow - Spain
    The Teacher’s Lounge - Germany
    The Zone of Interest - United Kingdom

Best Animated Short Film

Letter to a Pig
    Ninety-Five Senses
    Our Uniform
    Pachyderme
    War Is Over! Inspired by the Music of John & Yoko

Best Live-Action Short Film

The After
    Invincible
    Knight of Fortune
    Red, White and Blue
    The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar

Best Documentary Short Film

The ABCs of Book Banning
    The Barber of Little Rock
    Island in Between
    The Last Repair Shop
    Nǎi Nai & Wài Pó

Best Cinematography

El Conde
    Maestro
    Oppenheimer
    Poor Things

Best Costume Design

Barbie
    Napoleon
    Oppenheimer
    Poor Things

Best Makeup and Hairstyling

Golda
    Maestro
    Oppenheimer
    Poor Things
    Society of the Snow

Best Original Song

“The Fire Inside” from Flamin’ Hot - Music and Lyric by Diane Warren
    “I’m Just Ken” from Barbie - Music and Lyric by Mark Ronson and Andrew Wyatt
    “It Never Went Away” from American Symphony - Music and Lyric by Jon Batiste and Dan Wilson
    “Wahzhazhe (A Song for My People)” from Killers of the Flower Moon - Music and Lyric by Scott George
    “What Was I Made For?” from Barbie - Music and Lyric by Billie Eilish and Finneas O’Connell

Best Original Score

American Fiction
    Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
    Oppenheimer
    Poor Things

Best Production Design

Barbie
    Napoleon
    Oppenheimer
    Poor Things

Best Film Editing

Anatomy of a Fall
    The Holdovers
    Oppenheimer
    Poor Things

Best Sound

The Creator
    Maestro
    Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning Part One
    Oppenheimer
    The Zone of Interest

Best Visual Effects

The Creator
    Godzilla: Minus One
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
    Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning, Part One
    Napoleon

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    You have to admit the irony though. Gosling getting nominated and Margot/Greta not getting nominated is basically what Barbie was about lol.
    Greta and Margot both received nominations though, just not for acting and directing. And America Ferrera was nominated too, so it's not as if only the dude in the movie got nominated. Plus Gosling steals the film. It's not his fault he's so talented.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast