Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: List Price or Aftermarket Price

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default List Price or Aftermarket Price

So, I was thinking. If given the opportunity to have purchased every book you own for either list price or the market price at the time you made the purchase, which would you choose?

Some of my books I would love to have payed list price, Carrie, 'Salem's Lot, I Am Legend, etc. But there are many others that I have paid under list. Mostly mid 80's and newer King firsts and pretty much all my paperback books. Even some of the King S/L's and lettered editions are selling for less than list price.

I am adding a field to my database that will show list price, but I haven't entered them all yet so I don't know which way is more advantageous.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    So, I was thinking. If given the opportunity to have purchased every book you own for either list price or the market price at the time you made the purchase, which would you choose?

Some of my books I would love to have payed list price, Carrie, 'Salem's Lot, I Am Legend, etc. But there are many others that I have paid under list. Mostly mid 80's and newer King firsts and pretty much all my paperback books. Even some of the King S/L's and lettered editions are selling for less than list price.

I am adding a field to my database that will show list price, but I haven't entered them all yet so I don't know which way is more advantageous.
    I'm one of the older collectors (collecting since 1983) on the board who got to purchase S/L's at publish price. I keep a nice database with purchase price, as well as try to keep up with recent value. With that said, please share what King S/L is selling less than publish price? I never adjust my database when someone gets a deal or a seller has a fire sale. If that was the case the value of a First Edition Gunslinger just dropped 95% in value because a member here picked one up last week for $10.

Also, it seems most collectors include anthologies as a King limited when he signs. I don't. A King limited in my database will be Firestarter, Danse MaCabre, Salem's, etc. Contributor list would be, He is Legend, Best of Horror, Dark Forces, Quetly Now, etc.
    Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with Ralph - I don't know of any regular King S/L that routinely sells for less than issue price. Anthologies like He is Legend or other author's books signed by King, like The Sins of the Fathers, can usually be found for low prices if you look hard enough.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You're right. It really is the anthologies, not the s/l's, that sell for less than list.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am with Ralph too. So I thing the general consensus is buy them at list.... even lettered's as they for the most part are at par or above... some being WAY above. The few that are a bit lower? Well i will average out haha
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I saw two The Dark Man S/Ls go for less than issue price. The lettered of Riding the Bullet too.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    I saw two The Dark Man S/Ls go for less than issue price. The lettered of Riding the Bullet too.
    I have too... but I am again in Ralph's camp.. someone got a Gunslinger here for $10 bucks... do we make that the price?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

I wholeheartedly agree with buying at list if I had the choice.

Being able to buy just one copy of Salem's Lot 1st/1st at list price and selling it would make up for every single 90's and newer hardback, paperback, gift edition and anthology that I would have bought at list price but could have gotten lower on the secondary market. Likely with enough cash left over to keep taking a loss on every 1st edition he'll write in the future.
    Thanks much,

The Collector www.stephenkingcollector.com
    --Your source for info on rare Stephen King--

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Almost all the (post 2005) Lettered Editions sell regularly for less than issue price.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

No and that's not what I was saying. Those two seem to fit the "less than issue price" criteria. No more, no less.

edit: replied to webstar100

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I recently let a Lettered Edition go below price to help a member out. Also, let a Gift Edition of IT go for publish price (yes you are reading that right), as well as did a quick sell of publish price of a matching Lettered SOD set for $ to get another item I wanted for my collection. Me doing this in no way sets the market. Actually, not sure why I'm even posting because the same members come on here and say the same thing over and over about pricing. It's almost pointless to even discuss value here. As for the "Almost all the (post 2005) Lettered Editions sell regularly for less than issue price" post above, I see it differently through my eyes when CD has an auction, or Very Fine Books, or Betts, or.....well, again, a few members here make it a point that if you can't get it at publish price or less, you've done a bad thing. That's what I get out of the conversations anyway.

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    No and that's not what I was saying. Those two seem to fit the "less than issue price" criteria. No more, no less.

edit: replied to webstar100
    Aahhh sorry mate. Got ya
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Room 217 Caretaker View Post
    I recently let a Lettered Edition go below price to help a member out. Also, let a Gift Edition of IT go for publish price (yes you are reading that right), as well as did a quick sell of publish price of a matching Lettered SOD set for $ to get another item I wanted for my collection. Me doing this in no way sets the market. Actually, not sure why I'm even posting because the same members come on here and say the same thing over and over about pricing. It's almost pointless to even discuss value here. As for the "Almost all the (post 2005) Lettered Editions sell regularly for less than issue price" post above, I see it differently through my eyes when CD has an auction, or Very Fine Books, or Betts, or.....well, again, a few members here make it a point that if you can't get it at publish price or less, you've done a bad thing. That's what I get out of the conversations anyway.

Mulleins
    My catapult is up and ready my good friend should you feel the need to launch another one of those IT gifts Ol Webstar needs one! haha
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Haha....if I had another it would already be on Canadian soil for you to pickup.

Mulleins

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

As for the "Almost all the (post 2005) Lettered Editions sell regularly for less than issue price" post above, I see it differently through my eyes when CD has an auction,
    Mulleins
    I got a Lettered Dark Man at a CD auction last month for $750 below the issue price. The shipping to the UK was also free.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Mulleins
    My catapult is up and ready my good friend should you feel the need to launch another one of those IT gifts Ol Webstar needs one! haha
    Someone is selling one on the Cemetery Dance forum. Not sure if they still have it though.

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    As for the "Almost all the (post 2005) Lettered Editions sell regularly for less than issue price" post above, I see it differently through my eyes when CD has an auction,
    Mulleins
    I got a Lettered Dark Man at a CD auction last month for $750 below the issue price. The shipping to the UK was also free.
    Excellent. I got a Lettered Masques last night for 376.00 on EBay (Publish price was $1500). Getting a good deal.....does this set the market price is my point?

Country
    Country Flag

Mulleins
    Excellent. I got a Lettered Masques last night for 376.00 on EBay (Publish price was $1500). Getting a good deal.....does this set the market price is my point?
    Wow.... David sold one for $850 which I thought was good.... I heard that book has a great look!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Is it just the CD lettereds that are not holding their value? How do you think SubPress The Shining Lettered will do?

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Is it just the CD lettereds that are not holding their value? How do you think SubPress The Shining Lettered will do?
    If the SP Lettered Green Mile is any indication, it should appreciate in value.....

AKC

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Mulleins
    Nice buy Ralph! That said, it was poorly listed...if the seller had put SIGNED in the title, I have to assume it would have sold for more.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Mulleins
    That just hurts. That book might go down (for me) as the worst deal ever....except maybe the TGWLTG dummy mock-up (not even the good white one), that I stupidly bought in an ebay frenzy for ~$300. Probably worth $1 now.
    At least the lettered Masques is still worth more than a buck.....

for now.

Gunslinger Apprentice JasonUK is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Happy

Quote Originally Posted by AKC View Post
    If the SP Lettered Green Mile is any indication, it should appreciate in value.....

AKC
    I bought a Lettered Green Mile from Betts Books for less than list price. When I got it I was so disappointed with the blandness of it, I sold it a fellow TDT member for the same low cost, just to get rid of it.

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JasonUK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AKC View Post

AKC
    I bought a Lettered Green Mile from Betts Books for less than list price. When I got it I was so disappointed with the blandness of it, I sold it a fellow TDT member for the same low cost, just to get rid of it.
    Wow!? Recently? The last two he's had sold for $3,500 - $4,000. They did include Geyer Remarques however....

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Dunno about the Lettered, but I love my numbered Green Mile (also purchased from David).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast