Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Life on Mars Re-Watch: who's up for it?

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Default The Life on Mars Re-Watch: who's up for it?

It's only been a few months (at most) since our last viewing, but me, Jean and alkanto are all itching for a re-watch of Life on Mars in January. The big question is this: anyone else keen to check it out? I know we've got the LoM/Ashes to Ashes thread, but I wanted to keep this thread spoiler-free for new guys, and to make it a little more formal and organised. (Because I am obsessed when it comes to planning these things for my favourite shows.)

So, here's a few details:
    Suggested start date: January 9th
    Members interested so far: DoctorDodge, Jean, alkanto, ShannonsMovies, Merlin1958, Hannah
    (Apologies if I've missed anyone out, but that's one of the reasons I'm setting up this thread, so I know for sure how many members we have on board)
    Number of eps: 8 per series, 16 in total
    Version: UK/Original/2006 (Just to be clear that we'll all be discussing the same version and there's no confusion later on!)

I know it's a little early, but I'm not sure how easy to find this series might be over in the US and anywhere else really, so I'm thinking the extra length of time might help in locating the eps. So, anyone interested?
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Thought you'd appreciate it, bears! January 9th should be the week I'm heading off to America, if all goes to plan, but that's no bad thing, especially since Pond's recently got herself a set of the series on dvd, so I hope I'll be starting the re-watch round hers, fingers crossed!

- Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Can't wait!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

DD - did you post anywhere why you are going to America, what are you going to do there etc? if you did, please link me; if you didn't, please do, in the Castle or IYMRN thread. Bears want to know.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm glad you are bringing it up early. Not right atm, but by January I should be up for it. It'll be my first time. Watched the American remake, but this sounds to be cooler. thx.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Awesome! Great to have another fresh pair of eyes on board. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

- Melike

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yay! I'm official!

Country
    Country Flag

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not committing, but maybe i can.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Yeehaw

It would be awesome to have you on board Brice, if it's possible. This is a very different show to both Doctor Who and Lost, but I'm absolutely sure you will enjoy it. (And not just because it's got "The Master" John Simm in the lead role! ) If you do join us, I absolutely promise I will finally watch one of Argento's movies (which I have been putting off due to the high level of gore I've heard from his movies, even if they are done with a real sense of style, and not in the Hollywood way but in an artistic way, from what I caught of the rat scene in Inferno).

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonsMovies View Post
    Yay! I'm official!
    Hell yeah, Shannon! I'm always eager for new viewers on board. It's like watching it for the first time all over again.

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Dang, double post!

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ok, so, one thing that still needs to be worked out is the schedule: we've kinda decided on a date, the 9th of January, although this can be changed if it's too problematic for some, but how many eps should it be per week? Should it even be a week, and instead go for a fortnight, instead? At the moment, I'm thinking 2 eps a week, although, considering each ep is a full hour long, (BBC, remember, so that means no room for commercial breaks), even that could be adjusted to 1 ep a week, if it was really difficult for people to find time to watch.

I suspect even that would be difficult for me and bears, as 1 ep is never quite enough, really. It certainly was difficult to cope with when I watched it when it was broadcast! It's still 2 months away though, so no need to rush any plans. Discussing it just helps me cope a little bit more with the waiting!

- Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I was thinking 1 ep a week is fine. And, of course, that doesn't necessarily mean we have to stop watching....we just have to save the discussion until other people catch up!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post
    I was thinking 1 ep a week is fine. And, of course, that doesn't necessarily mean we have to stop watching....we just have to save the discussion until other people catch up!

Very true! And besides, it's not like I haven't watched every ep so many times that I almost know every line off by heart!

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

one a week is way too slow. That's how people lose interest. It should be at least 3 a week.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Well, it all depends on how many eps the new viewers can watch per week. People couldn't quite keep up with Lost, and that was supposed to be 3 eps a week. Which is roughly about the same length as 2 eps of Life on Mars.

I know I can handle 3 solid hours of Sam Tyler and Gene Hunt epicness per week, and I'm guessing you can bears, and possibly Pond, too, but what about anyone else? Not all of us watch a maximum of 3 different programmes a week, after all. (Seriously, I think the only shows I currently watch on tv atm are Misfits and the occasional repeat of The Big Bang Theory. That's all I watch on tv atm.)

And besides: 3 eps a week, as much as I would love it, would have a downside: it would all be over much too quickly. Like a fine cigar (or a jammy dodger, in my case), it should be savoured.

Unless you're Gene Hunt, of course, in which case, you smoke 10 cigarettes before breakfast, which would include cereal and whiskey. Without the cereal.

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

BUMP! (To keep it fresh in people's minds, and of course, to continue getting people to sign up for the (re)watch of one of the greatest shows ever!)

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

yes, people and animals, please join in!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Did we ever figure out how many eps per week would be suitable? I know 1 is far too few, but 3? We could always do 2...that's a solid 2 hours of cinematic brilliance per week, and it's sure hard to complain about that

Not long now, Bears and James and everyone else who will be discovering the brilliance for the first time! Just a little over a month left
    Spoiler:
    so I should have plenty of time between now and then to get in another rewatch, right?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'd say 2 eps a week would be looking the most likely. Especially if people are getting the dvds: since there's only 2 eps per disc anyway, anyone watching the series through Netflix or Lovefilm shouldn't have too much of a problem watching the eps over a couple of days and then wait for more eps to arrive in the post.

So, to keep it updated:
    Start date: January 9th
    Members interested so far: DoctorDodge, Jean, alkanto, ShannonsMovies, Merlin1958, Hannah, pathoftheturtle, Brice (possibly), Darkthoughts, feverishparade, Ricky,
    Number of eps: 8 per series, 16 in total
    Version: UK/Original/2006
    Number of eps per week: 2 (only suggested number to watch for now. Always open to suggestions.)

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

So, with less than two weeks to go until the watch begins, thought I'd just make a few points about the show that people should keep in mind before watching it:
    Subtitles If you don't live in the UK and don't watch that many UK shows, I'd strongly suggest making sure that the copy of the eps you've got has optional subtitles, at least. They won't be needed all the time, but the northern accent used in the show really is thick, at times. I'd say they're as strong as some of the southern accents used in Deadwood. Definitely something to keep in mind, I think.
    Give it ten minutes If you have no clue what the show is about, the first ten minutes might come across as boring, at first. Stick with it past those first few minutes, though, and hopefully you'll find it gets a lot more interesting. Don't worry. You'll know when it starts getting interesting when you see it.

And, most important of all: Be sure you're watching the good version I cannot stress this enough (especially since someone else heard about how much I loved the show and started watching the remake by mistake). If the version you're watching is set in New York and stars Kietel, ignore that. It's the 2006 UK version starring John Simm and Philip Glenister you'll be after.

Ok, hopefully, that's all you need. I was considering making a teaser trailer based on The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo teaser trailer, but then decided against it. (For anyone wondering why, here's a trailer I caught for the show when it was first shown in the UK (first episode spoilers for anyone who wants to be left in the dark about what it's about, btw):
    Spoiler:

Gotta say guys, really looking forward to the discussion. For the simple fact that with new discussion, it's a way for fans like me, Jean and Pond of getting something close to that "first time" feeling, as well as picking up on things we might've missed the first time.

- Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the .. precap (?), James ! Let's do this thang, do this thang.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Add one more (non)member to the list: Amber will be watching it with me. Very excited

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Excellent! You'll love it! (So long as you do have subtitles, I do remember your reaction to Withnail & I, after all. You thought the accents were bad in that, I've gotta warn ya that LoM might be even worse, at times! )

- Melike

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast