Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 70 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Dealers-eBay sellers-dt.org buyers/sellers/ to Avoid like the Corona Virus

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Book Dealers-eBay sellers-dt.org buyers/sellers/ to Avoid like the Corona Virus

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg
    Note: This edit has been added on 11/29/2014 to clarify the intention of this thread.
    This thread is to alerts members about troubles with those who buy and sell Stephen King and Stephen King related collectible items. The primary focus is on books, but is open for other collectible items related to Stephen King. Personal issues between members and Dealers, ebay sellers, and other Dt,org members need to be resolved outside the board.

We have a recommended book dealers thread and I know it was mentioned that we could start an ebay sellers to avoid type thread, so hopefully this isn't out of place. (If it is, feel free to trash it admins)

I was thinking a good format could be:

Name of Book dealer / eBay Seller:

Reason to Avoid:

And also, allow those sellers a chance to respond to their criticisms, should they stumble upon them.

I'd like to start with one that really got under my skin today, when I received the first of two books I ordered from them.

Name of Dealer: Coldspring Books (http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sell...PL?vci=6770772)

Reasons to Avoid: TERRIBLE packaging of books. I received a copy of "The Dunwich Horror and Others" by HP Lovecraft (the Easton Press version) which is worth about $125 - $175. It came loose in an envelope. Thats right - loose in an envelope. I understand some booksellers using envelopes because they are too cheap to protect a book properly in a box (well I dont GET it, but I have experienced it anyways) - but AT LEAST wrap the book in bubble wrap first! I mean, a $150 book really isn't the type of thing that should be banged around in transit! Needless to say, I'm pissed off - especially when I specifically requested the book be shipped boxed and there was a $3 up charge in the shipping.

So the Lovecraft book that I was really looking forward to adding to my collection that was in near fine condition when I purchased it, now has bumped corners, and a cocked spine. Heres to hoping the book I ordered the following day, Burgess' "A Clockwork Orange" doesn't come in the same sorry state.

And thats why you should avoid Coldspring Books like the plague.
    Last edited by Randall Flagg; 11-29-2014 at 01:05 PM.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

I wouldn't take that. Send it back and get a refund.

You're not obliged to take poorly shipped product, especially if it came damaged. I've never had to refund anybody on books I've sold through Abe (because I use pounds of bubble wrap), but I think they are on the side of the buyer - as long as you return the book.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

There is no excuse for negligence like that, e.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Citizen of Gilead jemaher will become famous soon enough jemaher will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

It is impressive how bad some shipping is. My pet peeve is encircling the book in bubble wrap and the dreaded clear plastic shipping tape... a nightmare to unwrap.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

A couple months back I recieved a Stephen King book from France packaged in only wrapping paper and scotch tape. Needless to say my book described as "as new" wasn't when it got to me.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

M-O-O-N Chooch is on a distinguished road Chooch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I completely aggree with you. What sellers dont seem to understand is that once they have your money for that book, that book is your property and should be treated as such. I hate those damn "Bubble Mailers" that sellers on Ebay seem to always want to ship in. I've asked sellers not to ship in those and they reply that there will be a $3 box charge....WHAT!!! If I ask a seller to ship a certain way I expect it to be shipped that way, if not, they get the book back (shipped back the same way as sent)..some have even said book was returned damaged...can you believe that....so now before I buy I ask or I only buy from sellers that I know will treat my purchase with care.
    If it weren't for integrity...what would you be? Ka is a wheel.....

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

E-Taylor, I applaud your thread, however, I would suggest you edit your initial post on an ongoing basis to list problem sellers. Otherwise this just becomes an ongoing complaint thread about individual transactions-damaged books-lousy packaging etc.

Country
    Country Flag

RF.. you are true to your father...sorry didnt mean to pile on!

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm just glad I got boxes to do all my shipping.

As far as I am concerned, you cannot put a book (or comic book) in any kind of wrap or envelope for shipping, must be a box.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
    RF.. you are true to your father...sorry didnt mean to pile on!
    No harm no foul.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I have no problem shipping/receiving single comic books in a bubble envelope, as long as they are bagged and boarded first. That is usually sufficient.

A book though is a different story, a box is always appropriate.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    E-Taylor, I applaud your thread, however, I would suggest you edit your initial post on an ongoing basis to list problem sellers. Otherwise this just becomes an ongoing complaint thread about individual transactions-damaged books-lousy packaging etc.
    I certainly plan to do these little write-ups for every flawed bookseller I deal with. However, this is the first time in two years of buying on the internet that I've had a problem. If anyone else wants to share their experiences in the same format, I can keep editing them into the original post.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

A subject that is near and dear to my heart.

Here is my ebay ABOUT ME page.

By the way, the book pictured in the page above is the slipcase from my numbered 'Salem's Lot. I paid $40 in shipping to Centipede Press, and the actual postage cost was about $21. There was almost no packing material and my mail carrier dropped this 8 lb book over my gate. The slipcase took most of the beating (and I was able to get a replacement slipcase...WHICH I HAD TO PAY FOR)...but the book was damaged as well....and since I requested a specific number it is irreplaceable.

What really pissed me off was that I was charged $19 in "handling fees" and got a VERY poorly packed book.

OK....my rant is over.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by jemaher View Post
    It is impressive how bad some shipping is. My pet peeve is encircling the book in bubble wrap and the dreaded clear plastic shipping tape... a nightmare to unwrap.

Hold on now...you can't have it both ways. You want bubble wrap, I'll give you bubble wrap, but it's going to be taped up pretty securely.

But, I know you mean when a book arrives wrapped and wrapped again with tape, and then the whole thing's a mess...but as long as you're careful with scissors it's not a big deal. I ship books in plastic bags, wrapped in bubble wrap, taped fairly securely.

Given the choice, I would always prefer an aggressive bubble wrapping to no wrapping! haha...

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post

I paid $40 in shipping to Centipede Press, and the actual postage cost was about $21. What really pissed me off was that I was charged $19 in "handling fees" and got a VERY poorly packed book.

OK....my rant is over.

Yeah, I remember being pretty surprised mine arrived with no damage...he didn't know what he was doing back then, but he's figured it out since...doesn't help solve that experience though.

My pet peeve on shipping is when people sell/list a $2K item (for example) then tack on $20 for shipping...it's like, aren't you making enough on this? I don't even upsell on Abe, and I always lose a few bucks, but it's not worth the hassle.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

By the way, the book pictured in the page above is the slipcase from my numbered 'Salem's Lot. I paid $40 in shipping to Centipede Press, and the actual postage cost was about $21. There was almost no packing material and my mail carrier dropped this 8 lb book over my gate. The slipcase took most of the beating (and I was able to get a replacement slipcase...WHICH I HAD TO PAY FOR)...but the book was damaged as well....and since I requested a specific number it is irreplaceable.

What really pissed me off was that I was charged $19 in "handling fees" and got a VERY poorly packed book.

OK....my rant is over.
    Why the hell did they drop it over your gate? Don't they either leave it on your doorstep or leave one of those "package waiting at the post office" notes?

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

OK....my rant is over.
    Why the hell did they drop it over your gate? Don't they either leave it on your doorstep or leave one of those "package waiting at the post office" notes?
    Your guess is as good as mine. I have a locked gate in front of my front yard. The gate is about 5 feet high, so that package really had some momentum behind it. I am surprised it did not leave a smoking crater behind!

I have a locked parcel locker that the USPS can leave things in, or they can leave me a "package waiting at the post office" note...or they can leave it outside my gate....unfortunately, sometimes they drop it over the gate.

I should just have all my packages sent to my work where I know they will not be dropped or stolen!

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I guess with me, all books are not created equal. Bubble mailers are sufficient for low-cost, lighweight paperbacks, etc. I almost always use an additional wrapping of bubbles (twice the protection) and use minimal tape.

Heavier books, or expensive books ALWAYS get the "red-carpet" treatment with a strudy box, bubble wrap, popcorn, etc. I've never got complaints about packing. I've been complimented by one person who's box was left in the rain (the book was saved by the packaging) and one lady who's cat peed on the mailer (again, the packaging held up and the book was fine). Not so sure about the cat.

Just my two cents.

And, I've been on the receiving end of some bad packaging, both in mailers AND in boxes.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Another eBay seller to avoid

lucasscottmarknumeralone

A guy over on Horror Mall won the Stand S/N for under a thousand, and the guy has not delivered on the book.
    Geoff

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post

lucasscottmarknumeralone

A guy over on Horror Mall won the Stand S/N for under a thousand, and the guy has not delivered on the book.

Both Calla Wolf and myself were offered The Green Mile from this seller a couple weeks ago.

It was on ebay and Calla was the high bidder and I was the 2nd highest bidder. The seller ended the auction prematurely with Calla as the winner for $511.

Calla did not expect the seller to do this and the whole thing seemed fishy as it is a $1000 book, so he decided not to complete the sale.

Then the seller sent me a 2nd chance offer as I was the highest underbidder. I told the seller that if he wanted to ship the book first, I would pay him upon receipt. The seller said NO DEAL.

Looks like we were smart to pass on the deal.

Like they say, if it looks too good to be true, it usually is.

Citizen of Gilead jemaher will become famous soon enough jemaher will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jemaher View Post

Hold on now...you can't have it both ways. You want bubble wrap, I'll give you bubble wrap, but it's going to be taped up pretty securely.

But, I know you mean when a book arrives wrapped and wrapped again with tape, and then the whole thing's a mess...but as long as you're careful with scissors it's not a big deal. I ship books in plastic bags, wrapped in bubble wrap, taped fairly securely.

Given the choice, I would always prefer an aggressive bubble wrapping to no wrapping! haha...
    Ok, fine bubble wrap to your hearts content... but then to wrap it in CLEAR tape where you cant find the end is a pain in the ass. I have to take a knife to cut thru it and I'm always paranoid that I'm gonna cut the book underneath. at least a brown strapping tape allows me to see where the damn tape is.

Gunslinger Apprentice BigCoffinHunter is on a distinguished road BigCoffinHunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

OK....my rant is over.
    Your guess is as good as mine. I have a locked gate in front of my front yard. The gate is about 5 feet high, so that package really had some momentum behind it. I am surprised it did not leave a smoking crater behind!

I have a locked parcel locker that the USPS can leave things in, or they can leave me a "package waiting at the post office" note...or they can leave it outside my gate....unfortunately, sometimes they drop it over the gate.

I should just have all my packages sent to my work where I know they will not be dropped or stolen!
    See, this is why I love American Express. In a situation like that, they'll help you out in whatever way you want, whether it's getting you a refund or threatening to reverse the charge if the book isn't repaired or a discount given or whatever you want.
    "Smile... It is a fine day..."

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

lucasscottmarknumeralone

Both Calla Wolf and myself were offered The Green Mile from this seller a couple weeks ago.

It was on ebay and Calla was the high bidder and I was the 2nd highest bidder. The seller ended the auction prematurely with Calla as the winner for $511.

Calla did not expect the seller to do this and the whole thing seemed fishy as it is a $1000 book, so he decided not to complete the sale.

Then the seller sent me a 2nd chance offer as I was the highest underbidder. I told the seller that if he wanted to ship the book first, I would pay him upon receipt. The seller said NO DEAL.

Yep, good call for you both. He's disputing it through PayPal right now. Hopefully he gets his money back.
    Geoff

Gunslinger Apprentice Calla_Wolf is on a distinguished road Calla_Wolf's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed

lucasscottmarknumeralone

Yep, good call for you both. He's disputing it through PayPal right now. Hopefully he gets his money back.

At the risk of sounding smug, I KNEW IT !!!!!!

When a seller PULLS an auction before the items...the VALUABLE items...have even reached 50% of current market price, alarm bells begin to ring

Country
    Country Flag

Well..it happened..I got burned from this seller

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=017

Auction says its #38 double signed and in New unread condition right? What I got was #267 Signed by Bev shipped in a unpadded envelope(from Romainia) and is dirty (used) condition. When I emailed seller he said to send it back within 12 days or he will leave negative feedback. Do you belive this crap!!! I have made a claim though PayPal and have reported him to Ebay (not that they will do anything) but at lease I can warn everyone here...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 70 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast