Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stephen King's Maine

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Default Stephen King's Maine

Below from April 27th Wall Street Journal. Available May 20th. The book will likely draw from the author's postings at https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories...31e42c3c75f64b.

The Haunts That Inspired Stephen King
    STEPHEN KING IS Maine’s most celebrated living writer. Not only was he born in Portland, but many of his bestselling horror novels are set in towns like Bridgton, where an evil murk lays siege to a supermarket in “The Mist,” and Bangor, which King renamed Derry in several books. In “It,” a murderous clown emerges from a Derry sewer grate.
    The new book “ Stephen King’s Maine: A History and Guide,” forthcoming next month from History Press, features photographs of these and other locations important to King’s life and work. Author Sharon Kitchens, a fellow Mainer, takes the reader on a tour of Lewiston’s bygone Ritz movie theater, where King grew up feasting on horror and monster films in the 1950s and ’ 60s, and the annual Fryeburg Fair, which features in “ The Tommy-knockers” and “ Bag of Bones.” At the real- life fair, King is photographed buying a sandwich. His mansion in Bangor, now home to his charitable foundation, has a wrought- iron fence featuring spider webs, a dragon and bats.
    So is there any way to frighten Stephen King? Doug Hall, a childhood friend quoted in the book, recalls that one night King set out for home after an evening of watching horror movies. Hall’s brother ran ahead, hid in an old church and came out screaming; King was “terrified.” The church is still there.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

True, I kind of forgot about that book !
    ISBN = 978-1467157148
    On Amazon
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Below from April 27th Wall Street Journal. Available May 20th. The book will likely draw from the author's postings at https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories...31e42c3c75f64b.
    This looks mighty mighty cool.

Does anyone here know anything about Sharon Kitchens? I'd like to buy this, but I'd feel better knowing it came from or was associated with some of the true King experts (I don't want to buy it and learn later that she botched a bunch of it).

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    ...Bangor, which King renamed Derry in several books.
    Is it accurate to say he renamed Bangor? I thought he used the details he wanted, including familiar things from Bangor, in creating Derry.
    When they said how many dollars it would cost, I was amazed at how badly they'd overvalued it - then I realized they'd overvalued the dollars as well.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It 's someone from Maine, I exchanged a few messages with since 2020
    https://www.instagram.com/portlandbibliophile/
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

I've tried contacting the author but no luck. I'm not on any social media platforms so the only way for me is via email and have not been able to find her address. I'm sure it comes as no surprise that I'm primarily interested in the 'Salem's Lot content.
    I made an acquisition request at my local library and they have placed an order. If it's good and professionally rendered map illustrations have replaced those on her Stephen King's Maine blog I'll likely purchase a copy.

Country
    Country Flag

If you want me to send her a message for you, just PM me one

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I got a copy of the book last week. I liked what I saw so far.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

I'm half way through and as the title indicates, SK's Maine: A History & Guide tends to focus more on stories in and around the towns that have informed SK's writing. Interviews with people who grew up in those towns interspersed with tie-ins to the books inspired by or set in those surroundings. The author also provides suggested itineraries for people interested in exploring the various locations on their own. It is a nice complement to the George Beahm books (SK Country and SK's Maine Haunts).

+ Reply to Thread