Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended TV we SHOULD be watching

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Default Recommended TV we SHOULD be watching

This will probably get merged with the general tv discussion thread, but I'd thought it'd be interesting to have a thread for recommending good tv shows that we either know nothing about or just haven't grabbed our interest. There's so much tv to be skeptical of these days, especially with the constant risk of cancellation hanging over the best ones, that it's hard to be interested in any telly at all really.

So guys, is there any shows we should be watching? Discovered a show that's actually a lot better than it looked on an advert? Any old tv shows we should be catching up on netflix (or other means...)? What tv shows are we missing right now that we really should be watching, and most importantly, why? No spoilers please, unless tagged, at least!

(I think everyone knows which show I'd recommend, at least to people outside the UK, but I won't do that for another week, at least. I need time to assemble my mega review on why it's so brilliant, after all! )
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nice thread, DD.

As far as comedies go, I'd highly recommend The Big Bang Theory. One of most hysterical and smart shows on TV right now!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Now there's a good example, Ricky! Only watched one ep of that, but only because it keeps slipping my mind. I need to remember to watch that though, it's probably the 2nd geekiest comedy i've watched!

"Stop giggling." "It's not me, it's my Joker ringtone." "Well turn it off, it's creeping me out!" "It creeps me out too, but i paid 3 bucks for it!"

- Melike

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The premiere was really good the other night. You should check it out if you get a chance.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Apprentice nt07077 is on a distinguished road nt07077's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I recommend The Wire, Lost, and this new show on HBO called Boardwalk Empire.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Default Doctor Who: Series One recommendation

So, you’ve heard of Doctor Who, and you may have heard great things about it, but you don’t know what it’s about? Not sure where to begin? Or – and this is probably the most likely option – it just doesn’t sound very good? Can’t really see the appeal of a silly show about a man who travels around time and space in a tiny blue box?

Well, this is what this mega-long recommendation is for: to show you, without any spoilers, why you really, really should’ve watched this show by now, judging it not as a continuation of the original series or even just as science fiction, but as an original drama in its own right.

So where to begin? Well, the first episode, and your likely reaction to it. If you do decide to check out the first episode, the most likely thing you’ll think of is, “Well, it’s ok, but I still don’t see what the hype is all about.” It’s because the first episode doesn’t begin big or completely shrouded in mystery: it’s main aim is just to reintroduce the character of the Doctor to a brand new audience and start out small to bring the young fans on board. I’m not gonna say too much about it but I will give a quick summary of how this all begins.

Rose Tyler (Billie Piper) is a normal 19 year old girl. She works every day in a shop, lives with her mum, and is making do with loyal (but pretty useless) boyfriend Mickey. So far, so average.

That is, until she meets the Doctor (Christopher Eccleston) and her life changes forever.

Ah, the Doctor. The best thing about the show, really. Smart, funny, bonkers, and occasionally just a little bit fallible, the Doctor is someone who seems to love fun and goes looking for danger for the sheer thrill of it, who generally appears to be a light hearted guy who likes everyone and everything. But as the show goes on, it’s clear that there’s more to him than that. He’s a man who’s been through a lot, a man who’s battle scarred and vulnerable, someone who can be incredibly dangerous with a much darker side if you decide to threaten innocent life and cross him. More than that, he’s a constant traveller who’s lonely and genuinely needs someone.

Enter Rose, who unsurprisingly jumps on board his ship the TARDIS and journeys with him to have adventures. And Rose is half of what this series is about. In the beginning, it’s easy for her to join because there seemed to be nothing better for her on Earth, but as time goes on we see how her decision affects not only her and the Doctor but also her family and the people she cares about back home. What starts out as a fun little adventure becomes something that changes her forever, as over 13 episodes she faces not just dark horrors and evil tyrants, but also the dangers of time travel, the disastrous consequences of both hers and the Doctor’s mistakes and just how much she'll sacrifice to always journey with the Doctor.

It’s not just the characters that make the show worth it, though. It’s the variety it has that most shows are lacking: one week, an alien invasion story set in modern day London; the next, a creature feature set in the far future; the next, a Victorian ghost story. And yep, before you ask, those really are just the first 3 episodes. Combined with the massive amount of character development that both the main (and even the recurring) characters go through, the series has a truly epic feel to it, a story that stretches across billions of years in a ton of environments. Not only that, but even the very tone of the show can radically change from week to week: going from comedy to horror to serious drama every week, you can’t exactly accuse the show of being too formulaic.

If I were to select highlights of the show from the first series (and nearly all of them are pretty good, but these are the ones that stand out):

Dalek: working perfectly as both a stand alone episode that you can just jump on board with and one that it’s incredibly important to the development of both the series and the characters, it’s essentially a classic “base under siege” story, a brilliant scifi action thriller in just 45 minutes. Worth watching just for one of Eccleston’s best performances in the role, as we see a dangerous side to the Doctor that we’ve never seen before. An all time classic.
    The Empty Child: and another all time classic, but for completely different reasons. A dark and scary horror, a wonderfully witty drama, and a brilliantly clever scifi all rolled into one. Steven Moffat’s first episode for Doctor Who. When you see this episode along with The Doctor Dances, you won’t be surprised to find out that it’s far from his last.
    The Parting of the Ways: the season finale. Continuing off a story from the previous episode that began as something of a satire and went into dark, emotional territory, this episode kicks off from the ground running and doesn’t stop for one second. It’s got it all: an epic battle, dark drama, a high body count, loss, sacrifice, and more than a few truly surprising and even shocking moments, this is one of the best finales out there. Compare this to first episode “Rose” and it’s easy to see just how much the show has changed in such a short time. Not to mention the final overwhelmingly emotional minutes where…well, I’m not gonna spoil it for you, but I’ll just say this: you’ll know for a fact that when the credits start rolling, nothing will ever be the same again.

So that’s Doctor Who: versatile, epic, dramatic, and quite possibly one of the best shows made in the past five years that can be enjoyed by anyone, adults and children alike. And that’s just the first series! So now the question to ask yourself is: why haven’t you watched it yet?

- Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I really recommend Supernatural, on the CW.

It is a story about two brothers who were raised to hunt the evil ghosts, demons, and other nasties as they drive an amazing 1967 Chevy Impala. It's more than that, at its core, however. The show really does a really good job of exploring the brother relationship in their incredibly unique way. Both parts are good, and as the seasons progress, they get caught up in a fight that is much bigger than they could have ever imagined.

The most impressive part is that Sam and Dean - the two brothers - are the only main cast roles, so the pure amount of work that goes into the show...it's incredible. And the acting...also great.

The sixth season just started, and it's okay...I really suggest starting way at the beginning, as there are pretty solid myth arcs each season. Of course, that doesn't mean you can't watch any episode out of order, but some deal exclusively with the myth arc. Most you can still understand without prior knowledge, but it really helps sometimes.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Battlestar Galactica: Just, watch it. Now. It's fantastic.

In Treatment: Seriously the best tv show no one really watches. Best acting on television from everyone. Best dialogue as well. Gabriel Byrne is incredible. Standout performances from; Hope Davis, Blair Underwood, Mia Wasikowa, Melissa George, Alison Pill, John Mahoney and Diane Wiest.

The Big C: Watched the premire on IMDB. Stars Laura Linney and Oliver Platt. I don't get Showtime so I can't watch it. Premiere was good, I'd like to give it a look.

then the two greatest of all time:

Six Feet Under: This show is pure art. Never has a television show been as thought provoking, beautiful and sad and so real and down to earth. IMO, Greatest show ever.

The Sopranos: It's just a great show. It never loses steam. I loved every episode.

I'm looking forward to watching:
    Mad Men
    Breaking Bad
    Big Love
    True Blood
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Pawn Stars. It's a grandfather, father and son all working together at a pawn shop in Las Vegas. People bring in some interesting things and they actually explain the history of a lot of the stuff.

Sons of Anarchy - If nothing else because SK was a guest star last week.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Warehouse 13. It's certainly a show that, like Eureka, I should be watching more often, at least! Not only is it a heap of fun, but Claudia's awesome. Hot yet geeky and with really great hair? Winning combination for me!

Also, caught the 13.1 ep the other night where Fargo from Eureka shows up, and now I have a new pair to ship! Honestly, I have never seen two characters with such chemistry before! The fact that they're just as awesome together in real life helps, too:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh5CmMbBrCs&NR=1"]YouTube - Eureka/Warehouse 13 Crossover - Allison & Neil Like Peas & Carrots[/ame]

Now I really wish I caught the crossover ep on Eureka when it was on in the UK weeks ago!

- Melike

Citizen of Gilead sleeplessdwarf is on a distinguished road sleeplessdwarf's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

SoA for sure.

When The Walking Dead pilots, I would suggest it. Caught the first episode earlier and it looks like a series with promise.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lewton PI View Post
    Warehouse 13. It's certainly a show that, like Eureka, I should be watching more often, at least! Not only is it a heap of fun, but Claudia's awesome. Hot yet geeky and with really great hair? Winning combination for me!

Also, caught the 13.1 ep the other night where Fargo from Eureka shows up, and now I have a new pair to ship! Honestly, I have never seen two characters with such chemistry before! The fact that they're just as awesome together in real life helps, too:

YouTube - Eureka/Warehouse 13 Crossover - Allison & Neil Like Peas & Carrots

Now I really wish I caught the crossover ep on Eureka when it was on in the UK weeks ago!

I tried W13, i really really did. But it just didnt grab me, i may try and give it another try, but i am looking at all the other stuff coming on tv. I did catch the cross over with Claudia into Eureka and wasn't impressed, they had chemistry - but the whole point of fargo is he is supposed to not have any chemistry. I don't deny they did it well and it still made a funny little story, but its just me and my geekiness coming through **shrugs**

Now Eureka I highly recomend,

US Marshall is transporting a prisoner
    Spoiler:
    his own daughter

across country. When he stumbles across a small town full of bonkers boffins. He ends up taking over the position of sheriff when an experiment goes wrong and the current sherif has to retire.

Despite not being a genius, which is constantly thrown in his face by certain people, his way with people and his common sense often save the day when the bonkers boffins go to far with their experiments

if a bag full of fun, and doesn't take itself too seriously. For any fellow geek it is an hour of heaven television.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

After re-watching In Treatment again and waiting for Monday's season premiere...everyone on this site who loves quality writing and acting should watch it IMMEDIATELY. It's simply an amazing show, it truly is. Now while I haven't seen Breaking Bad yet...Cranston must pull some crazy acting skills out to be better than Gabriel Byrne in this, because he is just awesome.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Fringe
    Warehouse 13
    Eureka
    The Event
    Not An Ordinary Family

These are all shows I watch I think everyone else should be watching!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead haunted.lunchbox is on a distinguished road haunted.lunchbox's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Must sees....

Twin Peaks is a show that was on I believe two decades ago, but I purchased it recently because it was the only thing that beat out Lost on a poll... and it was really good. For its time it must have been super creepy, I really liked it and highly recommend it.

I also recommend Jericho! I love survival movies/shows.

And finally, Outsourced is an AWESOME new comedy. Anyone that has ever worked in a call center can appreciate it.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I've seen a couple of Twin Peaks, and I loved it, but the music was slightly ruined for me by the fact that I've watched Garth Marenghi's Darkplace first. If anyone loved those old cheesy 80s shows that were badly made and badly acted, then Garth Marenghi's Darkplace is one of the funniest shows you'll watch. Shame they only did 6 eps, but still worth checking out.

Oh, and for another show you should be watching, especially if you're in the US: Sherlock. Only 3 eps done for its first series, but each 90-minute ep is better and classier than most 20-ep shows you'll see this year. One's already been broadcast in the US, just 2 to go. Don't miss those!

- Melike

Citizen of Gilead haunted.lunchbox is on a distinguished road haunted.lunchbox's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lewton PI View Post
    I've seen a couple of Twin Peaks, and I loved it, but the music was slightly ruined for me by the fact that I've watched Garth Marenghi's Darkplace first. If anyone loved those old cheesy 80s shows that were badly made and badly acted, then Garth Marenghi's Darkplace is one of the funniest shows you'll watch. Shame they only did 6 eps, but still worth checking out.

Oh, and for another show you should be watching, especially if you're in the US: Sherlock. Only 3 eps done for its first series, but each 90-minute ep is better and classier than most 20-ep shows you'll see this year. One's already been broadcast in the US, just 2 to go. Don't miss those!
    I promise if you watch Twin Peaks without spoilers it's awesome for the first season, and half the second. Haven't heard of Darkplace?
    I've also never heard of Sherlock. What network carries it?
    Has anyone watched The Haven? I want to start watching it but need to know if it is worth it.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

PBS Masterpiece is currently showing Sherlock in the US. It was pretty big when it was shown over here in the UK by the BBC. It's Sherlock Holmes, but this time set in modern day, so by rights it should really, really suck. Instead, it's one of the best new shows of the year.

And I intend to watch all I can of Twin Peaks. My mate's got a complete set, so I expect i'll watch that sometime. I think you can watch Darkplace on hulu.com or the adult swim website, btw. Very good parody of all those cheesy 80s hospital dramas/horror shows.

- Melike

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I loved Dark Place. I've got it on DVD. It's very silly stuff but it works because it's so silly. Considering Kingdom Hospital, and the Horror writer character (who stars in the main role. It's a fiction within a fiction, so to speak,) I wonder if Stephen King would get a kick out of it.

I've seen episodes of Twin Peaks but not that many. I'd like to watch them from beginning to end. I've been spoiled somewhat of the ending (I have seen the last episode...or at least one of the later ones) and I've read stuff on the net, but I'm sure I'd still enjoy the journey.

It was one of those things that I wasn't sure of to start with but I found that sense of weirdness appealing.

Another great UK TV series I would recommend is Psychoville. It's basically a kind of dark comedy with weird odd-ball characters with a touch of horror mixed in. The first series premiered earlier this year.

There was also Halloween special on yesterday which was basically a set of short stories surrounding the characters in an Amicus style. It wasn't as scary as I'd have liked but it was good. Series 2 premieres soon.

The guys who wrote and act in it are two of the people behind The League of Gentlemen. Another group of series I'd recommend for their blend of comedy and horror. It's very much an acquired taste, but I largely like it.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Jericho. Good choice!

If we're going to talk about older ones, here's a few great ones:

Seaquest
    Threshold
    Earth 2
    Whose Line is it Anyways? (British and American versions)

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    Jericho. Good choice!

If we're going to talk about older ones, here's a few great ones:

Seaquest
    Threshold
    Earth 2
    Whose Line is it Anyways? (British and American versions)
    I know we've discussed this before, but I love Seaquest! You're still the only person I know, that has even heard of the show, let alone watched it. I heard rumors way back that they would release the final season on dvd, yet never saw anything come of it. Oh, and Earth 2, that's another good one

I'd also highly recommend Twin Peaks. It's one of my personal favorites.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    This has been in my Netflix queue since I've heard you talk about it.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    This has been in my Netflix queue since I've heard you talk about it.
    You should move it to the top

Country
    Country Flag

It is at the top...right after Scream 3 and season 1 of Dexter. You do realize that a good portion of my queue is stuff that you've recommended, right?

I might switch Twin Peaks in front of Dexter since it's not on the air anymore.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Is it really?

I'd bump it up above Dexter, it's only 2 seasons, so you should get through it pretty quickly. And I still need to get caught up on Dexter. I've only seen the first season so far.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast