Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1236 of 1297 FirstFirst ... 236 736 1136 1186 1226 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1246 1286 ... LastLast
Results 30,876 to 30,900 of 32414

Thread: Your New Pride and Joy!

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

That's an incredible story Kris. Congrats on having a super rare ed in your collection.

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

What a score, congrats!
    Looking for:
    - Philtrum Press Eyes of the Dragon RED #165
    - Fine Viking Eyes of the Dragon proof

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

I already know I’m probably going to get roasted but frankly it doesn’t matter. On one hand, congrats for knowing what was presented at an, honestly, ignorant price. Not a “steal” price, not a “deal” price. But an ignorant price. In this collecting world I think one upping one another has trumped all sense of honesty and integrity. Call me a prude, call me Debbie downer I don’t care. Here’s a guy, offering a 15-18 thousand dollar book for 3.5k and we just willingly accept someone for a great deal, or a good find? Personally it disturbs me. There’s no possible situation in which I would come to know this information and not tell the person. So my question is: was there an attempt to inform this guy of what he had? If not, and if you would take this without informing the guy I seriously question what the collecting world has become. Come what may, I had to speak my peace about this.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks everyone I’m beyond thrilled. I am over the moon excited.

OH and Thanks to you too Nick. I’m sure you would have offered to pay more! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

I wouldn’t have offered to buy it in the first place after I told the person what the FMV was.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post

I wouldn’t have offered to buy it in the first place after I told the person what the FMV was.
    Sure you would have. If you hate the collecting world so much... leave it Nick. You are always so negative. There is just no need of it. Doesn’t matter if it’s here or Facebook. Relentless negative energy. That has to get tiring. Thanks for the comments. The ONLY negative one out of 100’s. Have a nice evening.

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Inspired

Sure you would have. If you hate the collecting world so much... leave it Nick. You are always so negative. There is just no need of it. Doesn’t matter if it’s here or Facebook. Relentless negative energy. That has to get tiring. Thanks for the comments. The ONLY negative one out of 100’s. Have a nice evening.

I’m sorry my opinion doesn’t match up with your fans on Facebook Kris. I’m just the only one that’s going to post what I think and not worry about what others say. I knew you would call me something (negative) or joke about me doing the right thing. At the end of the day I’m not the one posting publicly about my economic troubles, saying you are going to lose everything you own, then buying a 4,000 dollar book. You literally own 19 Michael whelan works, and then talk about how you have no money. Better yet blasting bookstore employees and calling them “ignorant assholes” when they don’t refund you 35 bucks in what you think is a timely fashion. While I would say at least I can sleep with myself at night, I’m sure you’ll sleep just fine too. I’ve said my peace, and I won’t derail this thread further.

Country
    Country Flag

I’m sorry my opinion doesn’t match up with your fans on Facebook Kris. I’m just the only one that’s going to post what I think and not worry about what others say. I knew you would call me something (negative) or joke about me doing the right thing. At the end of the day I’m not the one posting publicly about my economic troubles, saying you are going to lose everything you own, then buying a 4,000 dollar book. You literally own 19 Michael whelan works, and then talk about how you have no money. Better yet blasting bookstore employees and calling them “ignorant assholes” when they don’t refund you 35 bucks in what you think is a timely fashion. While I would say at least I can sleep with myself at night, I’m sure you’ll sleep just fine too. I’ve said my peace, and I won’t derail this thread further.
    I never said I would lose everything. I lost my job even Covid hit. It was upsetting and I had to get EI. Hopefully your ok And didn’t have any fears while this is going on. I’m now back to work although not full time. Thanks for your concern. And I sell books to feed my habit Nick. Hence how I afforded this book. And the people were ignorant and rude at the bookstore to more than just me. It was discussed by many that did not live in the US. This book was listed forever... with an asking price. Simple as that. OH, One thing is for sure... I’m not gonna bring up your behind the scenes stunts you attempted to pull and got caught on. Oh and I have more than 19 Whelan’s. Like I said, you have a great night.

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Inspired

I never said I would lose everything. I lost my job even Covid hit. It was upsetting and I had to get EI. Hopefully your ok And didn’t have any fears while this is going on. I’m now back to work although not full time. Thanks for your concern. And I sell books to feed my habit Nick. Hence how I afforded this book. And the people were ignorant and rude at the bookstore to more than just me. It was discussed by many that did not live in the US. This book was listed forever... with an asking price. Simple as that. OH, One thing is for sure... I’m not gonna bring up your behind the scenes stunts you attempted to pull and got caught on. Oh and I have more than 19 Whelan’s. Like I said, you have a great night.

Just so everyone is clear on what my “behind the scenes stunt” was. Someone was thinking about selling their collection. I publicly posted on the thread that I thought the person should keep their collection if at all possible. I privately messaged the person telling them that I believed Kris’ market valuations were off base and that if he needed help and there were items he wanted to sell, I would buy them and hold them for him. If he ever wanted the books back he could have them for whatever price he sold them to me for. Nothing more nothing less. Well I guess he didn’t like that and told Kris and I got called a Snake for it.

Anyway - the thread de-railed enough. Back on topic at this point.

Country
    Country Flag

Just so everyone is clear on what my “behind the scenes stunt” was. Someone was thinking about selling their collection. I publicly posted on the thread that I thought the person should keep their collection if at all possible. I privately messaged the person telling them that I believed Kris’ market valuations were off base and that if he needed help and there were items he wanted to sell, I would buy them and hold them for him. If he ever wanted the books back he could have them for whatever price he sold them to me for. Nothing more nothing less. Well I guess he didn’t like that and told Kris and I got called a Snake for it.

Anyway - the thread de-railed enough. Back on topic at this point.
    This is not entirely true Nick. But again, I’ll leave what really happened..... and that was so good of you “to offer to hold his collection for him during these tough times”. Your a saint!

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Congratulations, Kris. An amazing prize.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Inspired

That feeling when you get banned from the Facebook group for posting an opinion on the dark tower but not the Facebook group

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

We are a bit more lenient here to differing opinions-even those that differ from management/owners.

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    We are a bit more lenient here to differing opinions-even those that differ from management/owners.
    I know I post things sometimes that may be seen as unpopular or disliked but it's greatly appreciated RF.

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Speaking of differing opinions, your avatar is nauseating!! But I still love it!

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

I know I post things sometimes that may be seen as unpopular or disliked but it's greatly appreciated RF.
    I get your point about picking the guy off and getting a book for far lower than it’s worth. But It’s not like Kris pulled a scam on him. It’s not like he convinced the guy it was an inferior book or defective or anything. It’s not like he caught a poor guy in a desperate situation. Kris simply bought it for what the guy was asking. And also consider that the seller was selling it for a price he thought was fair, a price he was happy selling it for, even lowering it to get the product gone. I doubt the seller had $18000 invested in the book. So no one was ripped off. The seller just sold it for what it was worth to him. And that happened to be the deal of a lifetime.

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I get your point about picking the guy off and getting a book for far lower than it’s worth. But It’s not like Kris pulled a scam on him. It’s not like he convinced the guy it was an inferior book or defective or anything. It’s not like he caught a poor guy in a desperate situation. Kris simply bought it for what the guy was asking. And also consider that the seller was selling it for a price he thought was fair, a price he was happy selling it for, even lowering it to get the product gone. I doubt the seller had $18000 invested in the book. So no one was ripped off. The seller just sold it for what it was worth to him. And that happened to be the deal of a lifetime.

I get what you are saying in principle. But it’s not like someone was selling a signed limited of insomnia for 150 bucks vs 300. By using superior knowledge of the item, and not disclosing the information you know to be true, is just as bad as ripping someone off IMO. If the price would have been say, 10,000 then yeah, I’d say great deal as it was 2 k under the issue price. But the fact that, not only did he know the books true value, he didn’t say squat and let the seller believe he sold it for FMV. What if this dude sold it because he couldn’t make ends meet? I know if I was on hard times and had to sell a beloved possession I’d want it’s full value. For me and, judging from all the pos rep I received, some others this was extremely tactless.

Along the Path of the Beam kkemikk will become famous soon enough kkemikk's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It was listed on abe forever for that price, so it was not sold in dire need for cash in this troubled times. Also the seller could have investigate what he had and he apparently didn't. Kris simply paid was the seller was asking and the seller was probably happy he sold the book. I see no harm in what was done here...

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Some of you might know I also collect movie posters. I've found a particular love of both Australian Daybills (they're long thin posters, 13" x 30") and old Kirk Douglas movies ... Spartacus, Lonely are the Brave, Paths of Glory, Lust for Life, etc.

Today arrived a P & J that fits both those bills, a 1957 original Gunfight at the O.K. Corral. This particular one is pretty rare and often goes for big bucks; I caught it at a Heritage auction where it was paired with a second different GATOKC poster which was a repro from the 1970's. They were described correctly (1957/R-1970's), but maybe folks were confused. It sure worked out for me, as this is some of my favorite poster artwork, and absolutely the best one for Kirk Douglas, I think, as Doc Holliday.

WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

Kris that is a wonderful piece, rare as one of ten, made even more desirable by a beautiful inscription.
    Collecting is a mixture of ups and downs and in this case you have had one of those rare ‘up’ moments.
    Delighted for you.

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by George at C-Springs View Post
    Some of you might know I also collect movie posters. I've found a particular love of both Australian Daybills (they're long thin posters, 13" x 30") and old Kirk Douglas movies ... Spartacus, Lonely are the Brave, Paths of Glory, Lust for Life, etc.

Today arrived a P & J that fits both those bills, a 1957 original Gunfight at the O.K. Corral. This particular one is pretty rare and often goes for big bucks; I caught it at a Heritage auction where it was paired with a second different GATOKC poster which was a repro from the 1970's. They were described correctly (1957/R-1970's), but maybe folks were confused. It sure worked out for me, as this is some of my favorite poster artwork, and absolutely the best one for Kirk Douglas, I think, as Doc Holliday.
    That is fantastic. Very cool piece of cinema history.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I understand both sides of the coin, but if I saw a high-end King book at a yard sale (a 1st edition Carrie, a signed book, etc.) that was selling way below its true value, I can't say with 100% honesty that I'd let the owner know what they had.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Maybe I missed something - but how did the seller get the book in the first place without knowing what it was or was worth? Sounds strange to me. It's specialty and fairly new - not like someone with a bunch of old books that don't know they might be worth something.
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I understand both sides of the coin, but if I saw a high-end King book at a yard sale (a 1st edition Carrie, a signed book, etc.) that was selling way below its true value, I can't say with 100% honesty that I'd let the owner know what they had.
    Right. I'm not heartless, but the onus is on the seller to know what they are selling. In any case, the seller is telling buyers what they want for the item--not necessarily what it's worth. They have a number in mind that they'll be happy to get and that number might be created in ignorance, but if they're happy to get it and they get it, then they'll think it's a win. It's different than someone like me asking this forum "Hey I got this signed Shining with a 1/x in it--anyone know what it's worth?" and then getting a private message telling me "it's worth $4k and I'll buy it!" That would be directly misleading and underhanded if the messenger knows its true worth.

I research everything I want to sell. Sometimes I do a lot of research if I think I have something worth the extra effort. But sometimes I just want to unload it.

Not knowing the seller, I don't know what his situation is. But if he immediately dropped the price, then he wanted it gone. I wouldn't throw the penalty flag on this one.

Country
    Country Flag

Default Your New Pride and Joy!

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Maybe I missed something - but how did the seller get the book in the first place without knowing what it was or was worth? Sounds strange to me. It's specialty and fairly new - not like someone with a bunch of old books that don't know they might be worth something.
    He had it on ABE for a LONG time. No one looked at as there was no pictures and it stated Gift Edition in the title... many books are overpriced there. He is a book seller that has no store but sells books on ABE and has TONS of listings. Like 1000’s. Im assuming he bought that book not long after King gifted it (inscription is dated in 2014) from whoever Bill is. He paid a price and I am sure he made money. Plus after so long sitting on the book he was really happy to sell it as happy as I was to receive it.

PS: I thank the members here that sent positive rep. Said positive comments and sent messages. I am very happy even though some (well one) tried to ruin that.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1236 of 1297 FirstFirst ... 236 736 1136 1186 1226 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1246 1286 ... LastLast