• Midsommar

11 37.93%
  • Shazam!

6 20.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 2010s: Round 3 - Group 31 of 32

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 2010s: Round 3 - Group 31 of 32

During the third round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for up to two films you would like to move onto the next round. The top two films will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)
    Directed by Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, and Rodney Rothman

Watch Trailer

Prometheus (2012)
    Directed by Ridley Scott

Watch Trailer

Midsommar (2019)
    Directed by Ari Aster

Watch Trailer

Shazam! (2019)
    Directed by David F. Sandberg

Watch Trailer

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Spider-Verse with just four votes so far. This is wrong. Refresh refresh... hmm...

Gunslinger Apprentice Pere Jere will become famous soon enough Pere Jere's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Spider-Verse with just four votes so far. This is wrong. Refresh refresh... hmm...
    I absolutely love everything about ItSV. 😃

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Spidey, Midsommar.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I voted for Prometheus, because I think it works well as a non—Alien film (if you choose to view it as such) and I like Noomi Rapace.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    I voted for Prometheus, because I think it works well as a non—Alien film (if you choose to view it as such) and I like Noomi Rapace.
    I agree
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

There are no worlds in the entire multiverse where Prometheus is better than Midsommar.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I haven’t seen Midsommer and so can’t comment either way.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Me either. Too be honest, the runtime is one of the main things that makes me keep bumping it down my list. Horror and tension are incredibly hard to maintain over 1 hr. 45 mins. in my opinion.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    There are no worlds in the entire multiverse where Prometheus is better than Midsommar.
    For me and many... it is my friend.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Me either. Too be honest, the runtime is one of the main things that makes me keep bumping it down my list. Horror and tension are incredibly hard to maintain over 1 hr. 45 mins. in my opinion.
    I would not describe Midsummer as horror. I'm honestly not sure what I would describe it as though. But don't go in expecting a scary movie because it's not.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh, okay. Thanks for letting me know. I was under the impression that it was horror and had it on my Halloween watch list.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Not sure if it's horror or not, but it's damn creepy.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Not sure if it's horror or not, but it's damn creepy.
    It is creepy... that is for sure.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it's more of a thriller. It's a tricky film to accurately describe, that's for sure.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it's more of a thriller. It's a tricky film to accurately describe, that's for sure.
    Moves to slow to be a thriller. I have heard of it being described as "folk horror," which seems to fit it pretty well.

Gunslinger Apprentice OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I prefer to think of Midsommar as carefully paced than slow. It's a transformational film ("folk horror" is a nice fit that way) and very, very well-acted. It sticks with you, I think a bit more than Prometheus. Then again, my favorite among the group is Spider-verse...
    Alright, we'll call it a draw.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OldCrow88 View Post
    I prefer to think of Midsommar as carefully paced than slow. It's a transformational film ("folk horror" is a nice fit that way) and very, very well-acted. It sticks with you, I think a bit more than Prometheus. Then again, my favorite among the group is Spider-verse...
    I like your "carefully paced" distinction. I agree, and retract my "slow" notation. I really do like the "folk horror" designation the more I become familiar with the term. It really fits. And yes, it really sticks with you long after it ends.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCrow88 View Post
    I like your "carefully paced" distinction. I agree, and retract my "slow" notation. I really do like the "folk horror" designation the more I become familiar with the term. It really fits. And yes, it really sticks with you long after it ends.
    It's a film that can be viewed at least two ways.
    spoiler

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

One of the best reviews I read for Midsommar had a simple closing statement that gave me a different perspective when I saw it a 2nd (and 3rd) time...

Spoiler:
    Everything that happens in Midsommar is a horror story, except for Dani. To her, this is a fantasy and she's the princess.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

It's a film that keeps giving, that's for sure. I still think Hereditary is better but they are such different films it's tough comparing the two. I can't wait for another Aster film, I know that!

By the way, did anyone here see the 171 min Director's Cut?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    One of the best reviews I read for Midsommar had a simple closing statement that gave me a different perspective when I saw it a 2nd (and 3rd) time...

Spoiler:
    Everything that happens in Midsommar is a horror story, except for Dani. To her, this is a fantasy and she's the princess.
    That's a perfect way to describe the film. It's also one of the better depctions of a relationship coming to an end.

Gunslinger Apprentice OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post

Spoiler:
    That's a perfect way to describe the film. It's also one of the better depctions of a relationship coming to an end.
    I agree, that's a perfect description. I think for Dani it's transformation from outsider to insider (not belonging to belonging) while for Christian it's the opposite. Maybe a bit-too-obviously symbolic that Jack Reynor's character is named Christian.

The name Dani is the feminine form of Daniel and means "God is my Judge" from Hebrew.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    The name Dani is the feminine form of Daniel and means "God is my Judge" from Hebrew.
    Excellent point. I'd noted the film as "carefully paced" but maybe it's more accurate to broaden to "carefully constructed".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast