Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Patrick Danville General Discussion *SPOILERS*

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by rwr View Post
    I've been puzzled by something for a long time. After Susannah and Roland defeat Dandelo, they find Patrick Danville in a cell in the basement.

In fact Roland's first works to him are: "No offense, Patrick. Is thee Patrick? Is thee Patrick Danville?"

I know that Patrick Danville appears in the novel 'Insomnia', but when prior to this instance is Patrick ever mentioned or discussed with Roland? Why would he suspect or recognize the man in the cell as Patrick? I don't recall any prior references to Patrick in the Dark Tower or any of the preceeding Dark Tower books.

Help!:
    Read for the answer

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

his story starts in insomnia and picks up again years later in dt7
    I hope sai king writes a book about his journey to endworld and his adventures growing up b4 being
    Spoiler:
    kidnapped and tortured by dandello
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Traveler sandcracker21 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

:radioactive: Patrick Danville??? SPOILERS

there is something that has been driving me nuts, and hopefully someone here can help me out.

SPOILER ALERT!
    at the end of insomnia the 'little bald doctors' tell Ralf that the reason patrick danville is so important in that he will save two peoples lives shortly before he dies at age of 18....

if i remember, he saves rollands life in book 7 by killing the crimson king...but who is the second? and he DOESNT die in book 7, he leaves rolland to his fate?

so is there a different King book in which danville 'saves' someone else? If so can I please be enlightened? But dont spoil it for me!

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

In my opinion, the two lives Danville saved are Roland's and his own. I mean look at it, if he didn't "erase" most of the Crimson King they'd both be dead. So there you go.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree w/Wuducynn, but an argument might also be made, I suppose, that he saved Susannah, too, before that.

Really, though, I do think that it turned out to be Roland & Patrick himself, which is dumb (kinda corny) but, basically, the best we're gonna get. So, there you go.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I don't think it's dumb and corny at all. I think it's cool how it worked out that way.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

"Cool," really? Not "contrived" and "clumsy" ...? Huhn. Guess we're just not on the same page at all.

Nope, but we can both agree to agree that your opinion is wrong? Can't we?

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Uh... Nice grammar.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am still not sure that is what was meant. Nobody ever says "his purpose is to save a man" while "his purpose" is something totally different (in our case, destroying a being). It is kinda universal understanding that in order to achieve that goal, "he" has to preserve his own life up to the moment of doing whatever "he" is supposed to do; nobody has to spell it out separately. It would be far too clumsy, to my ursine taste; the only possible justification of this sleight-of-hand that I see is that it is meant to ridicule the usual vagueness and ambiguity of all prophesies (like, anything may be read into any prophesy). Another problem that arises along that way, though, is that in Insomnia the prophesy did not sound either ambiguous or vague; also, I am not sure the denouement of his Opus Magnum was the right place for Mr.King to display a satirical spirit.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yar. An interesting hypothesis... but there's not a bit of truth in it.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Right. Thus, who is that second man is still a mystery to me, and I don't complain a bit. For me it reflects that very multi-dimensionality, multi-facetedness that differs the saga from all other fiction; it is only natural that some of those facets are hidden from the reader's eye. On the other hand, the reader may have a revelation some day, and additional texts appended to the existing books don't even have to play any part in this.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Blah, Blah, Blah... I still say that King just plain messed up.

Country
    Country Flag

say what you will, I will keep to my attitude towards the book; within my interpretation, there's no mistakes there, no mess-ups, and the personal factor is reduced to minimum minimorum.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here's what I think, Patrick's story isn't done. I think there is a second person out there that he saved already or is going to save that will have a bearing on the King Universe. It's also possible that the second person was Susannah. He DID save her after all. What difference has that made? None that I know of, but the future is unknown and Susannah's tale may not be over yet. I rather think it is, and I believe she is happy and deserves that happiness, but we all know how Ka can be.

Only time (and shallow, painful stabs in the dark) will ever tell.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

i have to agree with mike (path).

it seems fairly clear to me that when king wrote that piece in insomnia he had something else in mind for the end of the the unfinished dt series.

when, post accident, he got around to finishing the series, this was just another piece that didn't fit the continuity he had previously planned. it's hardly the most glaring contradiction in continuity, but i think it's far too convenient to say the two people he saves are roland and himself as i remain unconvinced roland's life was saved by patrick.

roland's quest may have been saved as patrick's erasing allowed roland to enter the tower without the ck, but roland seemed to not exactly be in mortal danger from the ck and his sneetch throwing. roland seemed just fine taking target practice in the can-ka-no-rey.

king even wrote in the whole thing about the belief that the insomnia prophecy was false to make room for the ending to not coincide with that prophecy.

ultimately it doesn't matter, but at this point, we should all be fairly comfortable with the fact that king changed a great deal of his thinking regarding the series when he resumed writing the last three books, even going so far as to revise the gunslinger to shoehorn in his new ideas.

whether we agree these continuity changes are good or bad is irrelevant. they exist and the patrick danville thing is among them.

Quote Originally Posted by jayson View Post
    i

roland's quest may have been saved as patrick's erasing allowed roland to enter the tower without the ck, but roland seemed to not exactly be in mortal danger from the ck and his sneetch throwing. roland seemed just fine taking target practice in the can-ka-no-rey..
    If Patrick wasn't there to erase the CK, Roland would have eventually had to go to the Tower because the call of the Tower was getting greater and greater. In the open he wouldn't have been able to survive the sneetches.

Traveler sandcracker21 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

i SUPPOSE it could mean Rolland and Susannah he saved, but we never 'see' him die or get word of it....so i am more inclined to believe that there is another story unwritten in which Danville is wandering in endworld and saves someone else then dies?

hmmm

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Wuducynn View Post
    If Patrick wasn't there to erase the CK, Roland would have eventually had to go to the Tower because the call of the Tower was getting greater and greater. In the open he wouldn't have been able to survive the sneetches.
    that is one valid speculative possibility

another is that the ck did not bring an infinite supply of sneetches. if roland had enough ammo (and let's pretend he did), he could have exhausted the ck's arsernal and then what? the ck would yell "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" at him at high volume until he died of annoyance?

the point is, we can all speculate any number of answers.

some of them make the insomnia prophecy "fit" if we want to accept it but there's no saying that when king wrote insomnia that this was what he intended without him actually saying so himself (well, that or robin furth deciding it was so and putting it in the back two pages of a comic issue)

Quote Originally Posted by jayson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wuducynn View Post
    that is one valid speculative possibility

another is that the ck did not bring an infinite supply of sneetches. if roland had enough ammo (and let's pretend he did), he could have exhausted the ck's arsernal and then what? the ck would yell "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" at him at high volume until he died of annoyance?

the point is, we can all speculate any number of answers.

some of them make the insomnia prophecy "fit" if we want to accept it but there's no saying that when king wrote insomnia that this was what he intended without him actually saying so himself (well, that or robin furth deciding it was so and putting it in the back two pages of a comic issue)
    Of course it's speculation, this is all speculation. It's a highly likely one, and whose to say other things we don't know the CK could have done? I don't think the idea that Roland and Patrick being the ones that Patrick had to save the lives mentioned in Insomnia to be some kind of reaching at all.
    Yes, we won't know until King says so.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm in agreement with Path and jayson on this one. I thought the direction he was taking in Insomnia was his plan of action for DT at that point. I wish he hadn't changed it because it had the makings of something far more intriguing than simply having Patrick locked up in a giant mantis's cellar until Roland and Suze needed a convienient(sp?!!) deus ex machina.

King has recently admitted in interviews that the last three DT books were rushed because he simply wanted to get them over and done with, and then retire (at that point.) That's why there has been talk (from him) of rewrites.

I wasn't too keen on The Gunslinger rewrite, because it seemed pointless to me. But a rewrite of SoS and DT (I like WotC just fine) would interest me.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

We agree with Lisa.

Of course, we would do more than simply agree with Lisa if she would only let us.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Why are you referring to yourself as we? I will be forced to call you Gollum, and that's not an attractive look on anyone!

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

Patrick Danville sucks and should have been left out of the series all together. Him erasing the CK was the most ridiculous ending to an otherwise excellent and long awaited plot build up.

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

in my humble opinion.

Suzannah was the person he saved - she had that old tumour thing on her face that he erased, and he drew the door for her to get to new eddie/jake. She had lost her mojo and i think if patrick had not been there would have mentally given up (just my opinion tho)

I dont think patrick saved roland, i agree that he was a convenient tool to allow roland to enter the tower (again) -but roland will be his own salvation (whole different thread)

i like to think like jean that the second person is one that we are not aware of, we know the DT series spans a huge arc of SK work and it may be an answer that is resolved in another of his books, althought i doubt it. Its my personal belief that we have read the last of any connection to the tower, although i would love to be proven wrong. (again a whole different thread)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast