Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King's new Holly Gibney novel "Holly" (September 5, 2023)

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

From the back cover:

Stephen King's Holly marks the triumphant return of beloved King character Holly Gibney. Readers have witnessed Holly’s gradual transformation from a shy (but also brave and ethical) recluse in Mr. Mercedes to Bill Hodges's partner in Finders Keepers to a full-fledged, smart, and occasionally tough private detective in The Outsider. In King's new novel, Holly is on her own, and up against a pair of unimaginably depraved and brilliantly disguised adversaries.

When Penny Dahl calls the Finders Keepers detective agency hoping for help locating her missing daughter, Holly is reluctant to accept the case. Her partner, Pete, has Covid. Her (very complicated) mother has just died. And Holly is meant to be on leave. But something in Penny Dahl's desperate voice makes it impossible for Holly to turn her down.

Mere blocks from where Bonnie Dahl disappeared live Professors Rodney and Emily Harris. They are the picture of bourgeois respectability: married octogenarians, devoted to each other, and semi-retired lifelong academics. But they are harboring an unholy secret in their well-kept, book-lined home, one that may be related to Bonnie's disappearance. And it will prove nearly impossible to discover what they are up to: they are savvy, they are patient, and they are ruthless.

Holly must summon all her formidable talents to outthink and outmaneuver the shockingly twisted professors in this chilling new masterwork from Stephen King.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sounds fun! Still not fond of the title. Feels lazy.

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I'll read anything from King but this one does sound lazy and uninspired. Like many of his recent novels. King deals with Holly in a typical stereotypical manner as he does with children and minority characters. The typical old white liberal trope that such folks are not corrupted by "civilization" and therefore living in harmony with nature etc. It is actually somewhat humorous.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Fingers crossed that's the final Holly book.

I've had to come to terms that my favourite writer has been putting out mostly clunkers for the last ten or so years. I still read and own everything he writes but I've gone from waiting for the book store to open on release day to buying his latest a month, two or even a year later used. I finally bought Elevation (F/F condition) from Goodwill two weeks ago. 😪

And yeah, Holly sounds pretty uninspired. I thought the same about Billy Summers and Fairy Tale.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I do think it's funny that Holly has become such a major character in King's universe. At the same time I think she's improved a lot as a character since the Mercedes trilogy; I liked her quite a bit in 'If It Bleeds'.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    King deals with Holly in a typical stereotypical manner as he does with children and minority characters. The typical old white liberal trope that such folks are not corrupted by "civilization" and therefore living in harmony with nature etc. It is actually somewhat humorous.
    LMAO what does that even mean? Which specific minority characters are you even referring to?

That description doesn't even apply to Holly; her being sheltered due to her upbringing was something that she's struggled to overcome, at no point has King ever suggested that she's better off for not being 'corrupted' by civilization or whatever.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I expect "Holly" will be fine, but the private investigator genre isn't really King's forte. I enjoyed the Bill Hodges novels, Outsider, and If It Bleeds well enough, but there are much better PI genre authors out there.

The title does feel a bit lazy though. "Hmm, I wonder what I should call my Holly Gibney novel? ..."

Unlike many others, though, I don't find Holly annoying, but rather charming and relatable.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I might not say "lazy," but generally I agree; when I read the blurb, I thought, this isn't simply "the Holly story," it's a pretty involved thing in which Holly happens to be a character.
    Eastasia has always provided Drag Queen Story Hour to young children.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll read anything from King but this one does sound lazy and uninspired. Like many of his recent novels. King deals with Holly in a typical stereotypical manner as he does with children and minority characters. The typical old white liberal trope that such folks are not corrupted by "civilization" and therefore living in harmony with nature etc. It is actually somewhat humorous.
    OMF. Again, I ask... why do you bother reading anything by King? lol
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Perhaps the True Knot still lives.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Perhaps the True Knot still lives.
    Hmm...
    Eastasia has always provided Drag Queen Story Hour to young children.

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I'm not exactly sure why you take criticism of King's books personally. Are you his agent? I'm a huge fan of King. I just don't hero worship him and find some of his books including many of his recent ones to be duds. Why does that upset you? If you enjoy them, knock yourself out. No explanation is required of anyone for liking or disliking a book. You don't even address my criticisms. Only the fact that I dared to criticize him. "Get a life" as William Shatner told Star Trek fans.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There’s not much to address, your criticisms were just attacks on King’s politics (he’s “an old white liberal”) and a bizarre statement that King writes minorities as ‘not corrupted by "civilization" and therefore living in harmony with nature etc’ which doesn’t apply to any minority character King has written in decades, if at all.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I'm not exactly sure why you take criticism of King's books personally. Are you his agent? I'm a huge fan of King. I just don't hero worship him and find some of his books including many of his recent ones to be duds. Why does that upset you? If you enjoy them, knock yourself out. No explanation is required of anyone for liking or disliking a book. You don't even address my criticisms. Only the fact that I dared to criticize him. "Get a life" as William Shatner told Star Trek fans.
    Oh my..... the irony is I am not upset. YOU are. lol
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Fingers crossed that's the final Holly book.

I've had to come to terms that my favourite writer has been putting out mostly clunkers for the last ten or so years. I still read and own everything he writes but I've gone from waiting for the book store to open on release day to buying his latest a month, two or even a year later used. I finally bought Elevation (F/F condition) from Goodwill two weeks ago. 😪

And yeah, Holly sounds pretty uninspired. I thought the same about Billy Summers and Fairy Tale.
    +1. I'll gladly read whatever SK publishes but only via library. Haven't purchased a new release since Doctor Sleep.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Amazon now has a page for the novel, that will be released on september 5!

And here is the cover !

------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The UK cover perhaps? The are usually so much better IMO.

Edit: Book Depository is showing a release date of September 1 listing 3 editions available. No cover art but different ISBN's listed for each. I'll assume US, UK, and probably large print editions. We usually get an airport paperback from the UK as well upon release, correct?
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nope, it's the american one
    Usually the UK cover is announced a bit later. It's not available yet
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Gunslinger Apprentice fitomad is a jewel in the rough fitomad is a jewel in the rough fitomad is a jewel in the rough fitomad's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

This cover reminds me "The Institute" style.

Wait to see the UK version, the last ones has been so pretty.

Country
    Country Flag

The temp UK one is, according to amz :

Gunslinger Apprentice fitomad is a jewel in the rough fitomad is a jewel in the rough fitomad is a jewel in the rough fitomad's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post

It seems that a bike is involved in the plot

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Large cover art, interesting details in the windows:

Country
    Country Flag

And as always, in my opinion, the US cover is better.

Country
    Country Flag

My Collection

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fitomad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post

It seems that a bike is involved in the plot

Or a wheelchair.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast