Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 321 of 644 FirstFirst ... 221 271 311 319 320 321 322 323 331 371 421 ... LastLast
Results 8,001 to 8,025 of 16086

Thread: Suntup Editions

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

One consideration I have when evaluating the desirability of a slipcase is whether the covering material of the book is durable enough to withstand multiple insertions and removals from the slipcase. You often see editions that haven't accounted for friction - books and dustjackets get frayed or crimped, or the surface of boards get scuffed, simply because the book wasn't designed to be put in a slipcase. Or if the boards of the book are bound in a few different materials, the "seam" where the materials meet gets damaged because it catches on the slipcase edge.

One advantage of traycases is that you can usually remove a book more easily without worrying too much about wear and tear on the edges of the book.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

I will admit that I have a number books that are in tray cases that can be stood upright, and I do like that design. Black House, Desperation, IT, just to name a few. Obviously removing the book is easier. Sometimes with a slipcase it takes a few tries (well at for me) to get the book back in the case. I manage of course but I just am extra careful with those. But I really haven't had any major issues. But if it is going to add a "significant" amount to the total pf the books, I am happy to stick with slip cases.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

In other news ...

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Wow. It looks menacing just sitting there. If that was goal, mission accomplished. I can't wait until Friday.

I know I sound like a broken record saying this, but it's an outstanding edition. The walnut-dyed covers have this amazing texture and patina to them, and the worn look to the lettering is perfect. I haven't yet leafed through the whole book to take in everything. I'll do that soon, though.

(And yes, the slipcase is a nice touch, too )

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Gunslinger Apprentice NiceM has a spectacular aura about NiceM has a spectacular aura about NiceM's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    That's a great looking dog.
    Thanks. He's a remarkable dog.
    Beautiful dog indeed
    Looking for SubPress Lettered:Farseer Trilogy; Shadow of the Wind, Angel's Game, Prisoner of Heaven
    Looking for Centipede Press S/L: Dracula

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Finally a pic
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Mine arrived this morning!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    I know I sound like a broken record saying this, but it's an outstanding edition. The walnut-dyed covers have this amazing texture and patina to them, and the worn look to the lettering is perfect. I haven't yet leafed through the whole book to take in everything. I'll do that soon, though.

(And yes, the slipcase is a nice touch, too )

HBJ
    Love the pic and the ones posted on FB! I can’t wait for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

I know why I didn't get the package. My dog scared off the mailman.

I have four packages being delivered today. Informed Delivery states "Animal Interference" as the reason the packages weren't delivered.

It looks like he's spending the afternoon indoors.
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    No way! It said that??
    It says "Delivery Date Unknown" and "Alert - Delivery Exception, Animal Interference."
    Dec 21, 2019 at 11:22 am

Quote Originally Posted by NiceM View Post

How big is your dog?
    25 pounds. He looks bigger because of the fur. He's a good watch dog. A bit too good perhaps.

Adorable ferocious beast!

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

In other news ...

HBJ
    Very nice. As with many of the incredible books Paul is publishing I wish I cared enough about the author and story to justify acquiring a copy.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    In other news ...

HBJ
    Very nice. As with many of the incredible books Paul is publishing I wish I cared enough about the author and story to justify acquiring a copy.
    Did you read it?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger Apprentice jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Horns by Joe Hill, Signed/Limited, new, with Limited Promotional Art Kit "swag"
    Shipped in original Suntup packaging and padding
    $700 PayPal F&F including shipping in the U.S.

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Did you read it?
    Kris, I think you and I are a pair of broken records on this because I am forever telling anyone who is remotely curious to read this book!

This was the first Suntup release of a book that I had not read before, and immediately after the announcement I ordered it based purely on the fact that if Paul chose to do it, I was interested in reading it. I think by then you had commented that it was one of your favorite reads of the year.

It lasted less than 24 hours from cover to cover because I simply could not put it down. I think I first heard of the word "unputdownable" from when King blurbed some other author back in the day, and I will say that this is one of the most unputdownable books I've ever purchased.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post
    Did you read it?
    Kris, I think you and I are a pair of broken records on this because I am forever telling anyone who is remotely curious to read this book!

This was the first Suntup release of a book that I had not read before, and immediately after the announcement I ordered it based purely on the fact that if Paul chose to do it, I was interested in reading it. I think by then you had commented that it was one of your favorite reads of the year.

It lasted less than 24 hours from cover to cover because I simply could not put it down. I think I first heard of the word "unputdownable" from when King blurbed some other author back in the day, and I will say that this is one of the most unputdownable books I've ever purchased.
    Agreed. I have to ask because if you did not read this book... you are missing out.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Agreed. I have to ask because if you did not read this book... you are missing out.
    You aren't missing much
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    You aren't missing much
    You’re literally the only person I have ever heard said that so I’m going to have to disagree as many others will too

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger Apprentice FlyerPhan0826 is a jewel in the rough FlyerPhan0826 is a jewel in the rough FlyerPhan0826 is a jewel in the rough FlyerPhan0826 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post
    Did you read it?

Couldn't agree more! Can't wait until mine shows up Friday as a late xmas gift.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

In other news ...

HBJ
    Did you read it?
    Yes. I've read all of the books Paul has published to date.

Country
    Country Flag

In other news ...

HBJ
    Did you read it?
    Yes.
    And didn’t like it?

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

In other news ...

HBJ
    Did you read it?
    Yes.
    And didn’t like it?

I thought it was OK as was another of her books I've read, The Devil Crept In. Whether a CD, PS Publishing or Sub Press publication, or higher end publisher such as Suntup or Centipede, if the story itself doesn't resonate or stay with me long after I've finished, it is hard to justify purchasing a limited edition just for the aesthetics. It would be like purchasing a beautiful painting for the sake of its beauty, rather than the passion it invokes. That said, of all the Suntup releases to date I was most tempted by the design of and materials used on Brother. It is an impressive publishing accomplishment.

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This may seem weird but I enjoyed Brother and like collecting these partially because I view Suntup books as following Paul's journey in publishing and in life. Brother is part of that journey. Poorly worded comment perhaps but maybe some collectors get it?

Felt that with Brother and The Road specifically.

seeking: anything DT#246, Strange Weather (CD)
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

What I appreciated about Brother was the authors ability to create an environment for their characters which was, on the face of it, extreme and very unlikely, but she made me believe it. She also made believable that characters living in this environment at home, could exist in the outside world appearing as more or less regular people.

And throughout, there’s this feeling that this tension between these two worlds cannot endure. It’s going to end, and the suspense comes from not knowing how it will end.

I liked it, and would recommend it. It’s not a masterpiece, but it was a surprisingly good read. I’m glad that Suntup published it, otherwise I would probably never have known about it.

HBJ

Ilium (Simmons)

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

While I definitely found Brother a page-turner, for a lot of the same reasons that HBJ very aptly describes, I get that tastes vary. And speaking of various tastes, I can't help but bring up the latest Suntup announcement!

So... the second book that Paul is releasing that I have not read is The Bridges of Madison County.

I've definitely heard of it before (due in large part to the movie, I assume), but it's never really been on my radar as a book to hunt down and read. Given its newly found status in the Suntup canon, I've moved it up on my reading list. I'm... cautiously optimistic? I can definitely say that if it wasn't going to be a Suntup release I probably never would have planned to read it. But maybe I'll love it? Maybe I won't?? I wouldn't consider myself a fan of "romances", per se, but there are an awful lot of good books that have romantic elements, or center around romantic relationships, so I'm definitely not going to write a book off just because of those.

I will say that I was definitely thrown for a loop here. In a great way! There are two publishers other than Suntup Editions who I take their mark as the sign of a good book. The first is Centipede Press. If Jerad is willing to publish it, I'm willing to give it a shot. And in all the books that I've read because of that, I've only had one book that I just did not like (The Well, by Jack Cady). The other is the New York Review of Books. They have published so so so many more, and so there's a whole lot I haven't read, but their hit rate is really high! And the books are very wide-ranging in their material. Lots of genre fiction, some classics, a lot of great foreign translations that I never would have heard of otherwise. I think it's really cool that SE is branching out. While I of course hope that Paul continues with horror/dystopian/sci-fi stuff - I like the idea of jumping off to other areas. Maybe not as a focus (I can't image an SE that doesn't publish horror), but as something different now and then.

Would be curious if anyone has read or has an opinion about Bridges...

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bridges is not a great read or writing, rings a little bit amateurish, AND one of the biggest phenomenon in the history of publishing. Crazy how big it became. Brave as hell pick by Paul too.

seeking: anything DT#246, Strange Weather (CD)
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

+ Reply to Thread
Page 321 of 644 FirstFirst ... 221 271 311 319 320 321 322 323 331 371 421 ... LastLast