Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - Nominations Thread: 1980s

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    NOMINATION 12

"Freddy, as a younger man, I was a sculptor, a painter, and a musician. There was just one problem: I wasn't very good. As a matter of fact, I was dreadful. I finally came to the frustrating conclusion that I had taste and style, but not talent. I knew my limitations. We all have our limitations, Freddy. Fortunately, I discovered that taste and style were commodities that people desired. Freddy, what I am saying is: know your limitations. You are a moron."

Film: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
    Director: Frank Oz
    Year: 1988

Damm! Another one I forgot! Second!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Here's a little known war film that depicts the horrors of war in the face of friendship. Gut wrenching. A very early Mel Gibson in this one.

Gallipoli
    Director: Peter Weir
    Year: 1981

Spoiler:
    I just picked this up on laserdisc about a month ago. Haven't had the chance to check it out just yet.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I'm just going to post a few of the films I still have on my list. It might jog some memories for some folks.

Iron Eagle
    Monster Squad
    The Rescue
    Spies Like Us
    Stripes (Surprised it's not nominated)
    Adventures in Babysitting
    The Pope of Greenwich Village
    Project X
    The Natural (clearly not many baseball fans here)
    The Money Pit
    Tango and Cash
    Silkwood
    The Accused
    Fort Apache the Bronx
    Major League (see above)
    Casualties of War
    Three Fugitives
    History of the World Part I (Mel Brooks!!)
    Throw Momma From the Train
    The Delta Force
    Over the Top
    Salvador
    The Dream Team
    The Boy Who Could Fly
    Sad that there is so much schlock in the contest, while some truly amazing films go unnoticed. I too have Silkwood, The Accused, and Salvador on my list. While there is still time I will shill for a few as well...

Witness
    The Year of Living Dangerously
    The Stuntman
    Cutter's Way
    Fabulous Baker Boys
    A Room With a View
    Breaker Morant
    I can't believe I left Witness off my list! There is a lot of schlock, but that's what a lot of the '80s were. I myself grew up in the '80s, so before I was watching films like Salvador, it was a constant stream of schlock. I pretty much just mainlined that shit.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Nomination:

Stripes (1981)
    Ivan Reitman

Watch Trailer

I second Witness

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Nomination - Near Dark (1987)
    Directed by Kathryn Bigelow
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Hairspray (1988)
    John Waters

Watch trailer:
    Omg, yes! I can't believe I forgot this one. Thank you for nominating it. There's probably so many others that I'm forgetting and will remember after the nominations end.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Driving Mrs Daisy seconded
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's a little known war film that depicts the horrors of war in the face of friendship. Gut wrenching. A very early Mel Gibson in this one.

Gallipoli

Spoiler:
    I just picked this up on laserdisc about a month ago. Haven't had the chance to check it out just yet.
    Let me know what you think - it's amazing!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Will do! Whatever happened to Peter Weir? I feel like he hasn't directed a film in a decade.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Another Peter Weir gems. One of my last nominations, a small film with an even smaller academy award winning performance by Linda Hunt. She's unforgettable.

Year: 1982

Spoiler:

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I will second Working Girl. This comedy deserves the spot.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

I second Stripes
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Another Peter Weir gems. One of my last nominations, a small film with an even smaller academy award winning performance by Linda Hunt. She's unforgettable.

Year: 1982

Spoiler:
    I picked that one up too!

Servant of Gan sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Last Emperor (1987)
    Bernardo Bertolucci

Watch trailer:

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just ten spots remain.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Nomination 29

Tron 1982 Lisberger

Spoiler

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    The Last Emperor (1987)
    Bernardo Bertolucci

Watch trailer:
    Second

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Near Dark.

Gallipoli

Spoiler:
    Let me know what you think - it's amazing!
    It really is an amazing film. I was going to second it myself but some beat me to the punch. Good choice!

Country
    Country Flag

Tron second
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm done with nominations unless I think of something more, I think this is my best tournament yet in terms of nominations getting seconded. I think I've gotten 17 in, with only No Holds Barred, The Quiet Earth, and Ragtime left... and No Holds Barred was a joke nomination.

My last act for the nominations will be seconding Manhunter
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I know the original was nominated, but I've always liked the sequel better.

Short Circuit 2 - 1988
    Kenneth Johnson

Spoiler:
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nominate The Toxic Avenger (1984)

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Night Shift.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast