Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 LastLast

Thread: Knowing Darkness: Artists Inspired by Stephen King ~ Centipede Press

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I gave Knowing Darkness a shout out in The Dark Tower Companion -- in many cases the artwork is reproduced in sizes larger than what appeared on dust jackets or inside books. I think it's a real treasure.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

The KD isn't listed anymore. He either sold them all or he pulled them.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Makes my decision a lot easier!

John

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Makes my decision a lot easier!

John
    That it does.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Traveler stoppoker will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Hello Brice,
    do you create this drawing? You got talent! Is it your profession?

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Yeah, it's my favorite too. Really though I've loved all of the ones I've seen.

And back to the question of framing...I've never had any art worthy of framing before, but I went to the nearest framer about a week ago just to kinda' look at options. Maybe it's overkill I don't know, but I think I want this museum glass I've heard mentioned here along with a really nice frame. I'll probably have to go out of town to have it done though. I may have to save up for it.

And thanks everyone!

I couldn't be happier. The book, the Whelan, everything is just amazing.

Gunslinger Apprentice Papaseraphim will become famous soon enough Papaseraphim will become famous soon enough Papaseraphim's Avatar

My daughters gave a me a copy of Knowing Darkness for Christmas (after I dropped a few hints...) and I love it. The only artbooks in the sf/horror genre that come close are Wightson's A look Back and Whelan's The Art of Michael Whelan (both great King artists).

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Papaseraphim View Post
    My daughters gave a me a copy of Knowing Darkness for Christmas (after I dropped a few hints...) and I love it. The only artbooks in the sf/horror genre that come close are Wightson's A look Back and Whelan's The Art of Michael Whelan (both great King artists).
    That means you are raising them right! Welcome to the boards!

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Another member (Jimmick) recently commented that I had a few books still in shrinkwrap and wondered when I was finally going to open them and start enjoying them! One of these was Knowing Darkness which I obtained a few weeks ago but have been reluctant to break the seal. I have thought long and hard about this and decided that I will be opening all the sealed books as I have no intention of selling any of them. The first to be opened was KD.

OMFG what a book! I have seen the odd picture of the content and have a separate set of the pullouts given to me by George Beahm, but the full content of this book is just phenomenal! I have just spent 2 hours looking through it and have only scrapped the surface. Wonderful, wonderful book

If (like me) you have been foolish enough to leave this book wrapped and unopened, GO NOW to your shelf, take it down and LOOK at the content, you are missing out on something magnificent.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Another member (Jimmick) recently commented that I had a few books still in shrinkwrap and wondered when I was finally going to open them and start enjoying them! One of these was Knowing Darkness which I obtained a few weeks ago but have been reluctant to break the seal. I have thought long and hard about this and decided that I will be opening all the sealed books as I have no intention of selling any of them. The first to be opened was KD.

OMFG what a book! I have seen the odd picture of the content and have a separate set of the pullouts given to me by George Beahm, but the full content of this book is just phenomenal! I have just spent 2 hours looking through it and have only scrapped the surface. Wonderful, wonderful book

If (like me) you have been foolish enough to leave this book wrapped and unopened, GO NOW to your shelf, take it down and LOOK at the content, you are missing out on something magnificent.
    It's about time you realized how cool this book is!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice Papaseraphim will become famous soon enough Papaseraphim will become famous soon enough Papaseraphim's Avatar

I agree.

You can always read the trade edition of a book like Dr. Sleep and enjoy it (even though you're not seeing the gorgeous art from the CD Editions), but an art book like Knowing Darkness must be unsealed, opened and enjoyed. I spend a couple of hours on Christmas morning perusing mine.

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post

It's about time you realized how cool this book is!!!
    The absence of a thing, this can be as deadly as the presence. The absence of air, eh?
    The absence of water? The absence of anything else we're addicted to.

- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Papaseraphim View Post
    I agree.
    You can always read the trade edition of a book like Dr. Sleep and enjoy it (even though you're not seeing the gorgeous art from the CD Editions), but an art book like Knowing Darkness must be unsealed, opened and enjoyed. I spend a couple of hours on Christmas morning perusing mine.
    Except if you bought 2 copies. But yeah otherwise, it MUST be opened!
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't get it. Why would anyone want to buy a book and not open it?

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    I guess for the same reason people buy collectible coins but never intend to spend them. Or buy collectible stamps and put them in protectors but never intend to mail a letter with them. Probably hoping to keep the books in as pristine condition as possible so the resale value is (presumably) higher at some point in the future. Some agree with this philosophy......others don't. Maybe it is the difference between those who love to collect books vs. those who are just hoping for a profit down the road? I don't really know. Just guessing.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I guess for the same reason people buy collectible coins but never intend to spend them. Or buy collectible stamps and put them in protectors but never intend to mail a letter with them. Probably hoping to keep the books in as pristine condition as possible so the resale value is (presumably) higher at some point in the future. Some agree with this philosophy......others don't. Maybe it is the difference between those who love to collect books vs. those who are just hoping for a profit down the road? I don't really know. Just guessing.
    Exactly. My collection until fairly recently has been used books, which I have endeavored to buy in as top condition as possible. These days I am buying more and more expensive books some of which are limited editions direct from the publisher. As the collection has grown I have focused on US 1sts and US gift/unsigned limiteds. everything else is potential sale/trade so I wish to keep them in as pristine state as possible. I'd say I fit into both Bob's definitions, I love to collect the books, but there are certain things I will buy in order to (hopefully) make a profit that will allow me to buy more of the books I need for the collection. My signed Colorado Kid is a great example of this, I don't collect signed limited's but it was a bargain buy that will make significant profit.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Damn it's a big book.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

RF, is your coffee table covered in mylar??

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Damn it's a big book.

Lettered I guess?
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

No it's marble stone. Solid piece. Weighs ~250 lbs.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Damn it's a big book.
    Lettered I guess?
    No it's numbered. I don't think they did a lettered of this book.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

not the one with the book on it, the one in the background...

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Damn it's a big book.
    Lettered I guess?
    There was a Roman Numeraled edition of this book, which was limited to only 25 copies that had a price tag of $5,000 when first published.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

not the one with the book on it, the one in the background...
    No. It's just an odd lighting effect.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Damn it's a big book.
    Lettered I guess?
    There was a Roman Numeraled edition of this book, which was limited to only 25 copies that had a price tag of $5,000 when first published.
    I think it was listed as $5,995.
    Bob, do you have one?

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Jerad gave me one of each state as compensation for helping him and using my art pieces for the book.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Would you describe (show images of) the difference between the editions?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 LastLast