Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: General Comic News ( Industry / Retail / Artist / etc. )

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh dear. I'm... just not sure of that.

As for 'competing franchises', I never really saw them that way. They're both Sci-fi, but very different.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Competing franchises, maybe not.

Competing fans, oh yeah. It's usually accepted that, while it's not impossible for a fan of one show to also be a fan of the other, one definitely prefers one over the other more, generally speaking. A lot more. This is the best scenario. However, usually, the Who vs. Trek conversation usually goes something like this.

Whovian: The borg totally got their idea from the cybermen.
    Trekkie: Who cares, at least the borg actually look cool.

Etc etc. I say this as someone who enjoys both, but knows how picky (ie fucking annoying and obsessive) fandom can get. (And before anyone says anything, I know I have those rather hateful qualities too. That part of being a fan is the part I hate the most, and one I'd like to avoid as much as possible, in favour of the part of being a fan where you actually get a huge amount of enjoyment from it.) Hopefully, this will turn out well. It'll be interesting to see what such a crossover would look like, anyway.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Competing franchises, maybe not.

Competing fans, oh yeah. It's usually accepted that, while it's not impossible for a fan of one show to also be a fan of the other, one definitely prefers one over the other more, generally speaking. A lot more. This is the best scenario. However, usually, the Who vs. Trek conversation usually goes something like this.
    I can see that being an issue with fans with similar shows like Babylon 5 and Star Trek (mainly the spin of stuff in the latter.) Those two franchises are actually quite different tonally, but the similarities are more obvious than that of Doctor Who.*

I get what you mean though. Some people just feel the need to pick something and 'get behind it'. I personally like sci-fi, horror and fantasy and I've enjoyed various programmes and films across those genres.

*An aside, but I used to prefer the Star Trek shows to Babylon 5. However when I really watched the latter, got into the show I think I went more that side. I have a soft spot for the actual universe of Star Trek though, but Babylon 5 had that overreaching arc going on. And much as I love the British geek sitcom Spaced, Tim is wrong. Even if he did just say that to smeg off** comic book guy 2.

**That's an expletive from yet another sci-fi show, this time a comedy - Red Dwarf. They've just finished filming a new 6 episode series by the way.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

For the Sandman fans out there, on the 25th anniversary of the first issue, Gaiman has big news for us:

"...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Awesome.

More awesome news: Warren Ellis and Wheddon are collaborating on a project. I have no clue what it is, but I'm sure it will be great.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

link? source?

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

warrenellis.com

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Warren Ellis has been talking about his project with Joss Whedon for a long time on his site. He said they were working on it before Whedon got The Avengers and that sort of sidelined it. I am glad to see it is coming back, because it sounds awesome.
    Here is Ellis's post about it from 2010: http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=10111

and a blurb about what it was supposed to be back then:

WASTELANDERS was being devised as a five-part series that we’d do as "internet television," in the mode of DR HORRIBLE, only without the singing. Joss was worried about the lack of singing. I’d hoped that directing an episode of GLEE had gotten it out of his system. I wasn’t sure who I’d have to hurt or kill to secure the situation, but we were solid enough with the outline that we’d be ready to shoot in two or three months.
    WASTELANDERS is sort of a funny horrible story about the end of the world. I look forward to finishing it.
    I hope that is still what it is, because that sounded awesome.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah man, like I said check out Ellis's blog. There are two different posts now. One shows his notebook called Wastelanders and the new one shows Wheddon working on it. He flew out to London to meet Ellis and get things done.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I know, I go to his blog pretty regularly because he is generally in my top three comic authors list. I just posted that because you said you didn't have any idea what the project was in your first post, so I was filling you in.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Peter Parker Dies in 'Amazing Spider-Man No. 700' Comic

RIP, Peter Parker.

The geeky, wise-cracking teenager who learned that with great power comes great responsibility back in 1962, will finally succumb to one of his greatest rivals in Wednesday's Amazing Spider-Man No. 700.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Eh, he'll be back. They 'killed' Bruce Wayne and then brought him back a few months later.

They'll keep the status quo until the novelty wears off and then they'll bring him back in some epic crossover.

Citizen of Gilead Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I do not know if anyone ever listened to the old Power Records dramatic audio renditions of various comics. Recently Graphic Audio has added Marvel to their list of Dramatic Audios which includes several DC renditions. From an email I received they are releasing Civil War (MARVEL) as a online exclusive (Release Date: Friday, March 1, 2013). www.GraphicAudio.net

Quote Originally Posted by Coulrophobia View Post
    I do not know if anyone ever listened to the old Power Records dramatic audio renditions of various comics. Recently Graphic Audio has added Marvel to their list of Dramatic Audios which includes several DC renditions. From an email I received they are releasing Civil War (MARVEL) as a online exclusive (Release Date: Friday, March 1, 2013). www.GraphicAudio.net
    That's great news. GA is awesome and I loved Civil War.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

And now they are getting rid of another boy wonder. Robin the Boy Wonder killed: Batman's sidekick Robin to die in new DC comic

Ok, Mr. Moore, you have my attention: http://www.thelovecraftsman.com/2013...lovecraft.html

Country
    Country Flag

Will buy. I'm still struggling with Voice of the Fire. Not because it's bad, but because it's so overwhelming.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

VERY interesting!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Banned mikka is on a distinguished road

Hello all, As many of you may have heard, a new allkpop.com is coming in the near future, with many enhanced features. With the new site however, one of the changes will be the login system. Instead of your username, you will have to use your e-mail address to login. This is a friendly reminder to keep your e-mail address updated on your account profile, or basically, make sure you remember what it is to avoid login issues when the new site is publicly released. Thanks!

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Locke and Key Omega #5, where are you???? Hellooooo? It's been almost 2 months now.

Rabid Billybumbler fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

seems that IDW Publishing will be releasing a comicbook miniseries titled "Wraith", also written by Hill, that takes place in Christmasland and features characters from the novel

Citizen of Gilead jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g's Avatar

When is Wraith coming out?

Rabid Billybumbler fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast