Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Comic Book Villain

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

LEX

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think that the idea behind Venom is anymore stupid than the idea of a guy falling into a boilint pot of chemicals and ending up with a big ass grin on his face.

Donkey Thief Mike Beck is on a distinguished road Mike Beck's Avatar

no that's true. some of the origins of these characters are a little ridiculous, but the end result can make up for it.

sometimes.

Banned Stu Redman is on a distinguished road

Magneto kicks ass

Banned Jimmy is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I don't think that the idea behind Venom is anymore stupid than the idea of a guy falling into a boilint pot of chemicals and ending up with a big ass grin on his face.
    I've thought about what you've said, and I have a better understanding of why I don't like Venom.

It brings the cosmic side of the Marvel U into Spider-Man, a street level character. It's like if Sherlock Holmes' enemy Moriarty was from the future. It would make no sense, because Holmes' genre is not science fiction. It doesn't balance out to me.

I lean to the value of Spider-Man as a guy who fights thugs, the mob and earth bound villains. He worries about his family and making ends meet. Bringing in an alien costume, and then more alien costumes, and then more alien costumes negates what makes Spidey great. Venom bogs him down just like fighting huge mech robots would bog down Batman.

If Venom was an enemy of say Silver Surfer or Dr. Strange maybe then I would like him, but as it stands I don't.

The only time I've ever enjoyed Venom is when The Sub-Mariner ripped his tongue out. That was pretty great imo.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I've thought about what you've said, and I have a better understanding of why I don't like Venom.

It brings the cosmic side of the Marvel U into Spider-Man, a street level character. It's like if Sherlock Holmes' enemy Moriarty was from the future. It would make no sense, because Holmes' genre is not science fiction. It doesn't balance out to me.

I lean to the value of Spider-Man as a guy who fights thugs, the mob and earth bound villains. He worries about his family and making ends meet. Bringing in an alien costume, and then more alien costumes, and then more alien costumes negates what makes Spidey great. Venom bogs him down just like fighting huge mech robots would bog down Batman.

If Venom was an enemy of say Silver Surfer or Dr. Strange maybe then I would like him, but as it stands I don't.

The only time I've ever enjoyed Venom is when The Sub-Mariner ripped his tongue out. That was pretty great imo.

Spider-man has fought Thanos, Dormamu, The Beyonder, Firelord, Mephisto, Ultron, Super-Skrull, Kang the Conqueror and a host of other Villains who exist on a cosmic scale over the course of his career. Peter Parker does tend to be an everyman, but his crimefighting isn't limited to street thugs and earth bound villains by any means.

Spider-Man was even gifted, for a while, with the powers of Captain Universe by the Enigma Force.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

While I do agree that all of the alien symbiotes after Venom were a bit unnecessary, I don't think that (We are) Venom bogs down Spidey in the slightest. To me, Spidey and Venom are the perfect counterparts, and the fact that Venom takes control of Brock after being dumped by Parker only helps to reinforce this. Parker knows and understands the deadly power that comes with bonding with the symbiote, and he also understands the urges to do harm to others will 'sporting' it This is why, at least IMHO, Venom is such a great villian.

that's true stuff.

and venom never felt like he was some weirdo outer space creature to me. even though the symbiote is from another planet, when Venom came on the scene, and when he's chasing/fighting with spidey, he just seems like any other villain. like doc ock or the lizard. just much more bad ass.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

In the Ultimate Spider-Man universe, they chose to make Venom a suit that Peter and Eddie's dad were working on that was supposed to be used to treat burn victims and cancer patients, but it somehow developed sentience. The story they use in the movie was most likely drawn from the Ultimate version.

P.S.

This thread needs more Emma Frost love, even though her villainous nature could be debated.

There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I personally also love Harley Quinn. I'm a big fan of most Batman female villains, except Catwoman. I never was too fond of her.

Anyways, Jimmy, how do you feel about Harley Quinn being a huge Joker fan? Do you like her character or does she annoy you (i've heard other big Joker fans say that before).

I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

i found this. thought it was funny.

thanos.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

That's great Mike.

Oh and did I mention that I love when you post because I get to see Hiro each time? ....and because it's a Mike post.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

well thank you thank you.

and hiro thanks you too. he told me so.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Gather 'round people, this is the geek version of You Got Served lol.

Lions may feed on antelopes, but do they make the antelopes eat other antelopes?

Do they make the antelopes walk down the street strutting to a thinly veiled version of a Bee Gee's disco tune while at the same time making the antelopes look all greasy and gross?

No they don't and the disco, the greasiness and the eating of emotions and people proves that the symbiote is evil.

I rest my case.

Well, I gotta address this even though the conversation has gone by.

Your movie references...oh man, those are wrong as hell. We have established how badly they strayed from the original idea of what Venom is that it was almost criminal. So that entire part of your argument...moot

As for the main question... is the suit evil? My main point on that score was to say that it attaches itself and amplifies what is already inside of the host. Like acid--but huge.

So the Lion analogy is was about what the thing was born to do, not about the result it inflicts. The antelope dies after all, that seems pretty bad . But is the lion "evil" for killing, doing what it does? No and neither is the suit imo.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    Spider-man has fought Thanos, Dormamu, The Beyonder, Firelord, Mephisto, Ultron, Super-Skrull, Kang the Conqueror and a host of other Villains who exist on a cosmic scale over the course of his career. Peter Parker does tend to be an everyman, but his crimefighting isn't limited to street thugs and earth bound villains by any means.

Spider-Man was even gifted, for a while, with the powers of Captain Universe by the Enigma Force.
    He's fought all those people but never regularly. You never see Spidey swinging through the city and go, "Oh, Thanos is robbing a bank again. Let me go see what's up."

The Captain Universe thing was a ploy to sell comics. The story had no redeeming value, no long term consequences and is never mentioned in the books today. Such ploys as this are still used today, such as this here.

This cover picture does not even happen in the book that it's the cover of.

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I personally also love Harley Quinn. I'm a big fan of most Batman female villains, except Catwoman. I never was too fond of her.

Anyways, Jimmy, how do you feel about Harley Quinn being a huge Joker fan? Do you like her character or does she annoy you (i've heard other big Joker fans say that before).
    I love Harley and I always have. She's a great character, a great partner for the Joker and a great foil for Batman.

The writers have a tendency to write her as being more anti-hero than villain to keep her light but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    lol:

Your movie references...oh man, those are wrong as hell. We have established how badly they strayed from the original idea of what Venom is that it was almost criminal. So that entire part of your argument...moot

As for the main question... is the suit evil? My main point on that score was to say that it attaches itself and amplifies what is already inside of the host. Like acid--but huge.

So the Lion analogy is was about what the thing was born to do, not about the result it inflicts. The antelope dies after all, that seems pretty bad . But is the lion "evil" for killing, doing what it does? No and neither is the suit imo.
    I was just trying to be funny and discos an easy target.

Honestly I fully believe the suit is evil. Nobody ever does good things when they get ahold of Venom. Time after time, the host gets really mean, really insane and very, very hungry for people. In the main Marvel U, in alternate reality stories and in prose, film and animation Venom is always the same.

You're pushing for the "It's not the gun that's bad, but the person who shoots it" approach, but it just doesn't hold water to me. If a gun made people kill no matter who held it, that gun would be evil, regardless of what it was created for. The same goes for the symbiote, it makes people kill people and it takes pleasure from doing it.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Beck View Post
    i found this. thought it was funny.

thanos.

Thats hilarious

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

lol:

I was just trying to be funny and discos an easy target.

Honestly I fully believe the suit is evil. Nobody ever does good things when they get ahold of Venom. Time after time, the host gets really mean, really insane and very, very hungry for people. In the main Marvel U, in alternate reality stories and in prose, film and animation Venom is always the same.

You're pushing for the "It's not the gun that's bad, but the person who shoots it" approach, but it just doesn't hold water to me. If a gun made people kill no matter who held it, that gun would be evil, regardless of what it was created for. The same goes for the symbiote, it makes people kill people and it takes pleasure from doing it.
    I guess we'll agree to disagree then. I'll say it one more time though, Venom only amplifies whatever is already in the host.

Parker never killed when he wore the suit (for a long time btw), his frustrations at being Spidey were amplified to the point of violence but that was about it. The suit doesn't make you kill.

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Beck View Post
    Oh, wow. That's beyond hilarious.

That's gonna be my new tag line.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

I guess we'll agree to disagree then. I'll say it one more time though, Venom only amplifies whatever is already in the host.

Parker never killed when he wore the suit (for a long time btw), his frustrations at being Spidey were amplified to the point of violence but that was about it. The suit doesn't make you kill.
    Looks that way.

Maybe it was because Spidey was amplified by the Spider God, Eddie Brock never had that to protect him, neither has Mac Gargan.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmmm...good theory.

Why are you laughing?

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Because we are so off topic it isn't even funny--but I laugh at things that aren't funny all the time.

Like I said, we'll have to agree to disagree on this point.

Oh ok. I thought you didn't know about the Spider God. I was all about to trump our argument, darn it!

We're discussing villains, that's on topic isn't it?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast