Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 58 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament: Overall Event Overview

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    In the meantime, if you guys could go watch Diner and then give it a second, that would be great.

I'll be too busy with recent movies to watch much for this tournament.

Tournaments should NOT be going during Oscar season. I've got to watch Uncut Gems, 1917, The Two Popes, Weathering With You, Pain and Glory, The Farewell, Little Women, Jojo Rabbit, Ford vs. Ferrari, Richard Jewell, Bombshell....
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Tournaments should NOT be going during Oscar season. I've got to watch Uncut Gems, 1917, The Two Popes, Weathering With You, Pain and Glory, The Farewell, Little Women, Jojo Rabbit, Ford vs. Ferrari, Richard Jewell, Bombshell....
    I hear you, but there is no other time to hold it. A tournament like this with 256 entries takes about four months to do, plus about a month for nominations. And we are doing ten of them for all ten decades of cinema, so that's two a year for five years. There's no way not to do it during Oscar season or any other season. There's really only roughly two months in the middle and end of the year for a break.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The biggest issue is the nomination phase is the most important time to watch new films for tournaments so you can second some and maybe vote for some in the early rounds. The obscure films many haven't seen are usually gone in the first two rounds and then there's no reason to rush out and watch them. I'd personally rather have a break after nominations so people have a chance to watch some films before it starts. That's when the month break would be most helpful imo.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I often watch nominated movies throughout the nomination process. I've already seen two I haven't that were nominated and seconded, but I've seen most of what's in. We began on January 3 and voting will probably begin on the 27th, so there is your month or so. Plus polls will be going up for a couple of weeks so there is some additional time there as well.

Country
    Country Flag

Okay, having finalized the list and looked over the potential schedule, I am happy to announce that voting will officially begin on the afternoon of Monday, January 27. The full schedule will soon be added to the first post here as usual. The Final is scheduled for the last week of May with the winner announced on June 1.

Country
    Country Flag

For anybody curious, I was wondering how many female directors (or co-directors) we have nominated so far (given the current discussion around this year's Oscars), and this is what I came up with:

The 1990s:

The 2000s:

The 1980s:

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    For anybody curious, I was wondering how many female directors (or co-directors) we have nominated so far (given the current discussion around this year's Oscars), and this is what I came up with:

The 1990s:

The 2000s:

The 1980s:
    Interesting. Even more interesting is that those numbers will double when we do the next tournament for this decade, yet it also happens to be a time where people are making the biggest stink about it.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

Gentle reminder that Round 1 of the 1980s begins this coming Monday! So excited!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Can't wait!

Have you put together the groups yet? I'm wondering if there's any I should try to watch this weekend?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, as usual I used random.org over ten times and all the groups are set and look fair and balanced. I tried randomizing it enough so that at least in the first round no director goes up against two or more of their movies, but I may have missed some.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Did you put them into Pots/Tiers, world cup style?

Country
    Country Flag

Like always, Round 1 is completely random. I don't know of a better way to start. Then, yes, Round 2 and on will have films ranked from 1 to 256 based on the vote percentage they received in the previous round. Then they'll all be seeded according to their ranking across all groups. I've explained this process before, but just as a refresher or for anyone new: once Round 1 is over, all titles will be ranked from 1 to 256 based on the vote percentage (ties are broken alphabetically) and then the first 32 will be seeded from 1 to 32 in the first spot of each group of Round 2. Then the next top 32 (ranked 33 to 64) will be seeded as the second, and so on. Until the last ranked film is placed as the last in Group 32.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Just a suggestion, you might consider tiering them off for the next tournament, perhaps in batches of 50. Realistically speaking, there's a small chance in hell that the 250th film is going to knock out any of the films that were nominated in the first 10 entries.

So maybe films 1-50 are Tier 1, 50-100 are Tier 2, and so forth. You can randomize them in silos, and then mesh them in sequence.

This way you preserve the top seeds and avoid them eliminating each other right off the bat. It works in sports! Just a thought.

Country
    Country Flag

Not sure if I follow, and maybe I'm just not explaining it right. It's similar to World Cup seeding, from what I understand (I'm not big on soccer), but here is a visual:

So Round 1 is purely random. Then for Round 2 we are left with 192 films and they're all ranked by the vote percentage and then seeded into 32 groups of six from 1 to 192 thus. Fair and simple.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm finishing up the Actor research project.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Just a suggestion, you might consider tiering them off for the next tournament, perhaps in batches of 50. Realistically speaking, there's a small chance in hell that the 250th film is going to knock out any of the films that were nominated in the first 10 entries.

So maybe films 1-50 are Tier 1, 50-100 are Tier 2, and so forth. You can randomize them in silos, and then mesh them in sequence.

This way you preserve the top seeds and avoid them eliminating each other right off the bat. It works in sports! Just a thought.
    Since in the first round we keep top six of eight films, I don't think there is any chance any serious contender gets eliminated right off the bat. Granted I am not as versed in all the movies as several members here, but I have never needed more votes in the first several rounds. Probably 80% of the time I chose fewer then was allowed.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It's similar to World Cup seeding...
    That's all I needed to know. Carry on

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post

Since in the first round we keep top six of eight films, I don't think there is any chance any serious contender gets eliminated right off the bat. Granted I am not as versed in all the movies as several members here, but I have never needed more votes in the first several rounds. Probably 80% of the time I chose fewer then was allowed.
    I agree, it's working just fine.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Have we ever done a TV tournament? I'm blanking. After we finish the decade tournaments, I think we should do a TV tournament. That forum is super dead lately.

Country
    Country Flag

Have we ever done a TV tournament? I'm blanking. After we finish the decade tournaments, I think we should do a TV tournament. That forum is super dead lately.
    We sure did, nine years ago: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...es-of-All-Time

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Figured this would fit well here.

https://www.facebook.com/DudeDadVlog...59506451292043
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

We sure did, nine years ago: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...es-of-All-Time
    I don't believe I participated. I don't think I was around much during that time.

It's crazy to see how many posters have disappeared since then. Frik, Path, Odetta, Jean, James (Doctor Dodge) who I'm friends with on FB. How's Jean, does anyone know?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

TV is a bit harder though... it's hard to catch up on a 50 hour series you haven't seen before as opposed to a 2 hour movie. I'll rage if Stranger Things makes it to the final for instance.

Country
    Country Flag

The last polls of Round 1 have been posted! Thank you all so much for such an excellent level of participation and engagement! That's what makes this all worth it, the debate and discussion, hopefully not too heated. True, some of my favorites have already fallen off, but this is not my tournament, it's ours.

Quick housekeeping note, I'll be away on a work trip next week from Monday through Wednesday or Thursday, so probably won't be able to post the usual poll closings and such, so apologies for that, I'll get to it if I can or as soon as I'm back, and I'm very much hoping we avoid any ties since I won't be able to post any tiebreakers till I get back, and posting them later would screw with our schedule!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The last polls of Round 1 have been posted! Thank you all so much for such an excellent level of participation and engagement! That's what makes this all worth it, the debate and discussion, hopefully not too heated. True, some of my favorites have already fallen off, but this is not my tournament, it's ours.

Quick housekeeping note, I'll be away on a work trip next week from Monday through Wednesday or Thursday, so probably won't be able to post the usual poll closings and such, so apologies for that, I'll get to it if I can or as soon as I'm back, and I'm very much hoping we avoid any ties since I won't be able to post any tiebreakers till I get back, and posting them later would screw with our schedule!
    Thanks Mae! You do great work on this!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 58 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast