Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 243 of 254 FirstFirst ... 143 193 233 241 242 243 244 245 253 ... LastLast
Results 6,051 to 6,075 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If they cast McConaughey again, please please please just make sure we can't see his fake skin on his forehead for his wig cap or whatever was going on there. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Perfect partnership. I trust Amazon and its deep pockets to do right by the show. Here's hoping...

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I heard the entire series will be done with shadow puppets and voiced over with people speaking nothing but pig Latin.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Amazon contacted me to say that the series is in development, but have not been green lighted.
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I heard the entire series will be done with shadow puppets and voiced over with people speaking nothing but pig Latin.
    Iyae eardhay ethey amesay.
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Amazon definitely have money to invest in projects that they believe in.

They are willing to throw up to 1 billion dollars for creating 3 seasons of the chinese SF saga of "the three body problem", and half of another one for a lord of the rings series
    > https://io9.gizmodo.com/report-amazo...win-1824110293
    As they should. It's three books that won every award ever vs books that not even all King fans can get through whose protagonist is a child killing gun rapist. Consider also that science fiction shows have been doing well and the attempt to film DT was less than spectacular.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post

They are willing to throw up to 1 billion dollars for creating 3 seasons of the chinese SF saga of "the three body problem", and half of another one for a lord of the rings series
    As they should. It's three books that won every award ever vs books that not even all King fans can get through whose protagonist is a child killing gun rapist. Consider also that science fiction shows have been doing well and the attempt to film DT was less than spectacular.
    Man, the way you describe Roland... I always thought of him as a bad-ass hero.
    As long as sci fi shows have existed, they've done well.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

rapist???

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:
    He rapes Sylvia with his revolver and forces her to have a miscarriage.

I'm due for another re-read but that's what I remember happened. Someone can correct me if my memory's crap.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Nothing wrong with the hero having a bit of antihero mixed in.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Spoiler:
    He rapes Sylvia with his revolver and forces her to have a miscarriage.

I'm due for another re-read but that's what I remember happened. Someone can correct me if my memory's crap.
    spoiler

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Would not go as far as saying "child killer" it was a demon inside of her...

Country
    Country Flag

Jake and the children in Tull.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

To be fair though, the DT series would be based on Wizard and Glass. Slightly different than the film that flopped and before Roland was forced to kill an entire town.

Although the Walking Dead still seems to be doing all right, even though the main protagonist has recently become a straight up murderer.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Traveler BadWolfGirl will become famous soon enough BadWolfGirl will become famous soon enough

Why not simply do a show that starts with The Drawing of the Three? Maybe some bits in flashback to his palaver with the Man in Black. But that way we skip the problematic bits of the first book, and we get to see Shardik, and Blaine, and watch the ka-tet grow and kick butt? Why is the planned TV series, like the graphic novels, focused on young Roland and his days in Gilead? I could be wrong, but it seems to me that Wizard and Glass was the least popular of the books? Why focus on that?

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadWolfGirl View Post
    Why not simply do a show that starts with The Drawing of the Three? Maybe some bits in flashback to his palaver with the Man in Black. But that way we skip the problematic bits of the first book, and we get to see Shardik, and Blaine, and watch the ka-tet grow and kick butt? Why is the planned TV series, like the graphic novels, focused on young Roland and his days in Gilead? I could be wrong, but it seems to me that Wizard and Glass was the least popular of the books? Why focus on that?
    Likely because they can fit the entire story into a season or 2. Plus it allows the entire series a re-boot from the movie. It's sort of an origin story and if it does well, then they can talk about continuing the story through a few more movies.

Although starting the movies again at TDoTT isn't a bad idea. They'd have to re-work a few plot points (the origin of Mordred and the mentral struggle Jake and Roland went through with Jake existing/not existing at the same time, but they could probably do it.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Traveler BadWolfGirl will become famous soon enough BadWolfGirl will become famous soon enough

I think you could keep Roland letting Jake drop, as a flashback. That's such a central point in the series, it'd be hard to write out. And letting Jake drop alone, without the unfortunate Tull massacre or the even more unfortunate Sylvia Pittston incident, wouldn't make Roland unrelatable. How many other heroes, anti-heroes, superheroes, been given the choice - save your friend or follow your quest to save the world? More than a few. And it gives Roland a reason to need and seek redemption.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Could it not start in mejas (if that was what the town was called with susan) and have flash forwards to build the story of the gunslinger then on to the beach in Tdott!

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You do a disservice to the source material when you gloss over or try to downplay the main protagonist's morally questionable actions.
    "Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Dyson View Post
    You do a disservice to the source material when you gloss over or try to downplay the main protagonist's morally questionable actions.
    Case in point: The DT movie.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I still find this more interesting than the movie. Warning the music is not safe for work:

Spoiler:

Country
    Country Flag

Acting is better than in the film...

Traveler Keith1974 will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by BadWolfGirl View Post
    Starting off the story with a "remix" of the events of GUNSLINGER and DRAWING OF THE THREE would be a bold and interesting method of adaptation that could also play as the "next time around" sequel that the makers of the feature film were aiming for.
    Example: it could begin with Eddie in New York meeting Roland and being taken back with him to MidWorld, with Roland explaining the prophecy of finding three doors to three different times to draw three who will join his quest, with various settings and events taken from the books and repurposed to go between finding each door------they have to fight through Tull before finding the door to Susannah, then have to go under the mountains and fight Slow Mutants before finding Jake's door, etc. This would obviously be a "liberal" adaptation, but it would have a more traditional fantasy-adventure-quest structure that newbie audiences could grasp--------a familar framework upon which all the idiosyncrasies and uniqueness of the DT series could be "sold", as opposed to just omitting them completely, which was what the feature film did.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://ew.com/tv/2018/06/12/the-dark...ive-at-amazon/
    Against all odds, The Dark Tower TV series still has a pulse.

Last summer, a film adaptation of Stephen King’s enduring fantasy Western series hit theaters. It starred Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey as gunslinger Roland Deschain and his nemesis, the Man in Black, two mythical figures warring over the fate of a grand structure that upholds nothing less than the universe itself.

The movie pulled ideas from several of King’s eight Dark Tower books, while also serving as something of a sequel to the series. And more pressingly, it was — put lightly — an unmitigated garbage fire for Sony Pictures, earning roundly terrible reviews and underperforming at the box office.

Such a grim result seemed at the time to pour cold water all over previously established plans to follow The Dark Tower with sequels and a related TV series. (The TV series was originally developed by MRC and eventually made its way to Amazon.)

In a recent interview with Deadline Hollywood, however, Amazon Studios head Jennifer Salke revealed that the company’s efforts to craft a small-screen take on The Dark Tower aren’t over yet.

“Those are scripts that I haven’t gotten yet,” said Salke, responding to a question about long-in-development propositions including an adaptation of fantasy series The Wheel of Time as well as Dark Tower. “I’ll be seeing those, that material, in the coming weeks. None of those things are dead. They’re very much alive.”

There you have it — King acolytes may have a return to Mid-World to look forward to. Former Walking Dead showrunner Glen Mazzara was announced as the showrunner at one point, on a series that would pull heavily from King’s Wizard & Glass and focus on telling the origin story of Elba’s gunslinger. No word on whether Dark Tower director Nikolaj Arcel remains involved, or whether once-hatched plans to have Elba, Tom Taylor, and Dennis Haysbert reprise roles from the film still stand.

Our guess? Amazon will go back to the drawing board, and in doing so distance the series from last year’s Dark Tower. Even before the movie arrived (and flopped), King was alluding to the idea that Amazon’s series could tell a completely different story. “We’ll see what happens with that,” King said at the time. “It would be like a complete reboot, so we’ll just have to see.”

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Best news I've read all day!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 243 of 254 FirstFirst ... 143 193 233 241 242 243 244 245 253 ... LastLast