Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: eBay & Paypal - Policies and Practices

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    The real problem I have is that Ebay isn't a "fun" site anymore...it's not geared toward bidding and winning, it's just a storefront like overstock.com, with fixed prices for everything and while it has a more eclectic inventory, it's still an online store.

As far as requiring Paypal, and a lower shipping rate, all that does is encourage higher listing prices...so that doesn't help anyone...not the seller, not the buyer.
    I could not have said it better myself.

You know, I would not mind if they required Paypal as one of the payment options I must accept, but to tell me the options I can't accept is ridiculous!
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

I'm sure the justification is by requiring Paypal, it raises the percentage of successful sales...

It might make sense for cheaper paperbacks or dvds or whatnot...but for a higher ticket sale like we're used to, the buyer is usualy legit and a money order/check would be fine...

I'll be honest, I actually require Paypal anyway, but that's MY choice...I don't want it required, but I guess we got no choice!

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I just discovered the shipping fee limit when I listed my DT7 S/L.
    According to ebay I can only charge $4 for shipping AND insurance on a book I was listing at $500.
    If we were talking about a paperback or basic hardcover, that would make sense, but a listing in Books > Antiquarian & Collectible being limited to $4 is completely ridiculous. USPS insurance alone costs $6.50 on a $500 book.

I admit that I like the 15 cent fixed price listings for books, but the fees for both ebay and paypal have gone up and they're now taking more than I consider their services to be worth.

I'm also not thrilled with the new feedback system. I had a buyer who never paid me over the summer and all I can do is file a non-paying bidder claim. He gets away clean and other sellers can only see his perfect feedback rating...

I have a few more oddball items left to sell off and then I'm finished with selling on ebay and will most likely be downgrading my paypal account .

I tried craigslist over the summer to sell my old TV and AC. It took a while, and I had quite a few potential buyers flake out, but they both eventually sold. It works, but it's more limited exposure to potential buyers. I don't think I would use it for books.
    Mark Twain

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, the shipping limit is silly...again, it's focused on cheap paperbacks, not highend books...Abebooks is the same thing, and they should no better.

The problem is with books, there's nowhere else to sell...ABE has it's own problems, after all.

I think the best way around it is to just give free shipping and raise the price of the item to accomodate it. Sellers see the 'free' and I think it helps a little, and then you don't have to worry about it. I just sold a DT VII and I expect it to be $20 to ship insured/priority, but I factored it in as best I could when I accepted the bid, so...

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    I just discovered the shipping fee limit when I listed my DT7 S/L. According to ebay I can only charge $4 for shipping AND insurance on a book I was listing at $500. If we were talking about a paperback or basic hardcover, that would make sense, but a listing in Books > Antiquarian & Collectible being limited to $4 is completely ridiculous. USPS insurance alone costs $6.50 on a $500 book.
    Agreed, I think that if the book is listed in the Antiquarian & Collectible section, it should not be subject to the same rules as regular old trade books.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    I'm also not thrilled with the new feedback system. I had a buyer who never paid me over the summer and all I can do is file a non-paying bidder claim. He gets away clean and other sellers can only see his perfect feedback rating.
    I have mixed feelings about the new feedback system. As a buyer, I like that I can leave negative feedback for a seller who rips me off or misrepresents their item, and not have to worry about retalitory feedback.

On the other hand, like you said, if I am the seller and the buyer never pays me, I don't get the chance to give him a "black-eye" with a negative feedback. Of course, there really is no point in giving a buyer a negative feedback anyhow, it does not stop them from buying. The whole point of the feedback system is to rate sellers in my opinion.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    . I just sold a DT VII and I expect it to be $20 to ship insured/priority, but I factored it in as best I could when I accepted the bid, so...

Well shit, at that price you should gift wrap it for 'em!
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Citizen of Gilead jemaher will become famous soon enough jemaher will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I have never sold anything on ebay. It is a royal pain in the ass to win an auction and find out the seller Does not take paypal. Having been hosed out of several thousand dollars in various book deals when i was a neophyte on ebay, I welcome the buyer protection that paypal offers.

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

On an unrelated topic, here is the view from my front door 15 minutes ago.

Books are fire-proof....right?

FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

THAT'S SCARY!!!

John

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    On an unrelated topic, here is the view from my front door 15 minutes ago.

Books are fire-proof....right?

Tip,

Send all your books by FedEX. I'll keep them safe.

On a serious note: If you and your family need a place to stay, my door is open. I know I'm on the East Coast but your always welcome.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Ralph!

That fire has now moved west of us, but unfortunately, there is another one to the east of us. We are about a mile from the hills, so that should keep us safe.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

i don't sell on ebay i only buy (my husband sold a bunch of star wars stuff years ago for someone but that's neither here nor there).

now i am very particular. and i tell everyone i'm bidding with - before i bid - that i expect insurance (i'll pay for it), and i expect the item to be well packaged (now i specify a box since that moron sent me the book in a f'n bubble wrap package). how can a seller cover my demand for insurance, which the usps has on a sliding scale based on the value of the item, the box, the packing stuff and the postage for $4 or less. i don't care how much it costs to ship the f'n thing to me - i'll pay what you have to pay. so long as you don't charge me a 25% fee (which one seller was doing, needless to say no bid from me).

but i only bid on auctions that accept paypal. except for a (now friend) seller who lives in israel. we use a credit card for those transactions.

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    now i am very particular. and i tell everyone i'm bidding with - before i bid - that i expect insurance (i'll pay for it), and i expect the item to be well packaged. how can a seller cover my demand for insurance, which the usps has on a sliding scale based on the value of the item, the box, the packing stuff and the postage for $4 or less? i don't care how much it costs to ship the f'n thing to me - i'll pay what you have to pay. so long as you don't charge me a 25% fee but i only bid on auctions that accept paypal.
    I like you turtlesong...you tell it like it is.

I also tell sellers how I want my item packed, but I wait until after I have won the auction becuase i probably only win less than 25% of the stuff I bid on.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    now i am very particular. and i tell everyone i'm bidding with - before i bid - that i expect insurance (i'll pay for it), and i expect the item to be well packaged. how can a seller cover my demand for insurance, which the usps has on a sliding scale based on the value of the item, the box, the packing stuff and the postage for $4 or less? i don't care how much it costs to ship the f'n thing to me - i'll pay what you have to pay. so long as you don't charge me a 25% fee but i only bid on auctions that accept paypal.
    I like you turtlesong...you tell it like it is.

I also tell sellers how I want my item packed, but I wait until after I have won the auction becuase i probably only win less than 25% of the stuff I bid on.

thanks. i don't believe in wasting time with bs or in lies. i'm too lazy for either if you want the gan's honest truth.

but what happens if you win the auction and they say no? then you're pretty much screwed because that's not a reason to back out of an auction. which is why i like to get all the details out of the way before i bid. and i've only had a few seller say no to the requests. and the no people were to insurance believe it or not. they said they would ship it priority and i wouldn't need insurance. no go for the turtle.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've dealy with selling things (and shipping them) before and always, ALWAYS sent them at least via priority, and if the item is worth $100 or is irreplaceable I ALWAYS add insurance even if it's at my own expense. I have sold only a few books through ebay, but always stated that insurance was a requirement and that insurance would be for the total selling price and no more. More often than not, I paid for part of the shipping costs myself.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Along the Path of the Beam jcf817 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I sold some books on eBay in October. The $4 thing threw me off at first...pissed me off, too....until I realized that's only if you want to set the cost. You do have other options, I just can't think of them at the moment.

I don't spend nearly as much time on eBay as I used to...but then I don't have as much disposable income as in the past...and my collection is about where I want it to be.

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't like the shipping cost restriction either. There's no option to cover your packing materials, other than raising the cost. And I like to start my auctions low, in hopes of snagging a few more bidders.

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jcf817 View Post
    I sold some books on eBay in October. The $4 thing threw me off at first...pissed me off, too....until I realized that's only if you want to set the cost. You do have other options, I just can't think of them at the moment.

I don't spend nearly as much time on eBay as I used to...but then I don't have as much disposable income as in the past...and my collection is about where I want it to be.
    Yes, but that sends your items to the bottom of the search results lists.

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Southern California Fires

A picture of the sky yesterday.

What I woke up to this morning

It's raining ash!
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

hope your safe
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

my god tippy.

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm good. Just a little smokey and ashey here at my place.

I really feel for those that have lost their homes.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Extremely ashy. My car was covered in ash this morning. The whole day, the air has been tinted orange from the dust.

I agree with Tippy, I's a shame for those who had lost their homes.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Tons of goodmind to both of you!!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes. Goodmind is coming your way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast