• Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl

14 87.50%
  • The Beatles - Help!

9 56.25%
  • The Turtles - Happy Together

9 56.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Great Music - Round 1: 1965-1969 (Group 14 of 16)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Great Music - Round 1: 1965-1969 (Group 14 of 16)

During the first round of The Great Music Tournament, please vote for up to five tracks you would like to move onto the next round. The top five tracks will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given track receives will determine its standing going forward.

IMPORTANT! Please do not simply vote on name recognition (or lack thereof) alone. Please do listen to each nomination and then make your choice. Even if you think you know a track well, it's still worth giving it a listen for a refresher.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

Sonny & Cher - I Got You Babe (1965)

Simon and Garfunkel - The Boxer (1969)

The Who - My Generation (1965)

Otis Redding - (Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay (1968)

Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl (1967)

The Beatles - Help! (1968)

The Turtles - Happy Together (1967)

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Is that the original recording of Help? It sounds like they're in an empty parking garage.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Is that the original recording of Help? It sounds like they're in an empty parking garage.

The Boxer, Sitting on the Dock of the Bay, Help!

This is a great group.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Probably not, but original Beatles songs are hard to find on YouTube.

I just updated it, let me know if it's any better.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm English and should rave about the Beatles but can't! A few good songs (hey Jude) but simon and garfuncle are amazing!
    "Hello darkness my old friend" conjures up as many images as SK novels can.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Simon and Garfunkel are amazing. Although I have realized in recent years that I am more drawn to the songs that Paul Simon does. Garfunkel's songs are just so moody and depressing.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Paul simon is a happy go lucky guy but art was the emotion that drove the steak through the bleeding hearts of love sick fools the world over!

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Probably not, but original Beatles songs are hard to find on YouTube.

I just updated it, let me know if it's any better.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Quote Originally Posted by Sai Sheb View Post
    Paul simon is a happy go lucky guy but art was the emotion that drove the steak through the bleeding hearts of love sick fools the world over!

True. That's a great way to sum them up.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Boxer is my favorite Simon and Garfunkel song.

Country
    Country Flag

Great song... Love the boxer!

Country
    Country Flag

Very surprised to see "The Boxer" and "My Generation" on the outside looking in, but still a chance to catch up.

Come on, Boxer!

Country
    Country Flag

How have the turtles got note vote than the boxer!...

Right?!

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There have been some results that surprised me a bit, and some a little more than a bit. But I never would have guessed The Boxer lagging a group of six. It's such a great song; one I can put on CD repeat for an entire drive. Simon and Garfunkel have rarely sounded better.

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    It's such a great song; one I can put on CD repeat for an entire drive.
    Indeed. No matter how many times I play it, I still get that pull when it builds up to "I'm empty and aching and I don't know why-y-y."
    It's a beautiful song.

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed and the following tracks are moving on to the next round:
    • Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl (1967) 87.50%
    • Otis Redding - (Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay (1968) 68.75%
    • Sonny & Cher - I Got You Babe (1965) 68.75%
    • The Beatles - Help! (1968) 56.25%
    • The Turtles - Happy Together (1967) 56.25%

And the following are eliminated:
    • The Who - My Generation (1965) 50.00%
    • Simon and Garfunkel - The Boxer (1969) 43.75%

The Boxer?! What the F?

Country
    Country Flag

This has just been gnawing at me...

For those of you who voted and did not vote for The Boxer, what is it that put you off? What factors came into play when listening to 7 songs and concluding that The Boxer lags in the bottom two?

I ask this not as a petulant challenge, but in a sincere attempt to understand the thought process. I know musical tastes differ, but I would have assumed that the folks I see participating in this contest would rank this song at least high enough to make a 5/7 cut.

I can't speak for those who didn't vote for The Boxer since it's one of my favorites, but maybe it just didn't make it because there were so many well known classics in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I can't speak for those who didn't vote for The Boxer since it's one of my favorites, but maybe it just didn't make it because there were so many well known classics in here.
    I voted for it as well but I agree. It was in a tough group.

Country
    Country Flag

Its seems like everyone voted for the boxer yet it still came LAST!!!!
    Very sad!

Country
    Country Flag

It fell just a few votes short. Great song indeed.

+ Reply to Thread