Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King Book Dedications

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Stephen King Book Dedications

In most of his books, King has written a dedication. Any interest in a listing of the titles and the dedication(s)?

If so, I need a volunteer. I started to do it, but is needs to be done one page at a time, then each page changed to a .pdf or jpeg that is < 800 pixels in either dimension, then uploaded.

Mr. Mercedes: Thinking of James M. Cain. They threw me off the hay truck about noon...

The Dark Man: In memory of Carroll F. Terrell, scholar and friend.

Doctor Sleep:
    When I was playing my primitive brand of rhythm guitar with a group called the Rock Bottom Remainders, Warren Zevon used to gig with us. Warren loved gray t-shirts and movies like Kingdom of the Spiders. He insisted I sing lead on his signature tune, “Werewolves of London,” during the encore portion of our shows. I said I was not worthy. He insisted that I was. “Key of G,” Warren told me, “and howl like you mean it. Most important of all: play like Keith.”
    I’ll never be able to play like Keith Richards, but I always did my best, and with Warren beside me, matching me note for note and laughing his fool head off, I always did my best.
    Warren this howl is for you, wherever you are. I miss you, buddy.

Revival: This is for the people who built my house:

Mary Shelley

Bram Stoker

H. P. Lovecraft

Clark Ashton Smith

Donald Wandrei

Fritz Leiber

August Derleth

Shirley Jackson

Robert Bloch

Peter Straub

And ARTHUR MACHEN, whose short novel
    "The Great God Pan" has haunted me all my life.

Finders Keepers: Thinking of John D. MacDonald

The Bazaar Of Bad Dreams: I shoot from the hip and keep a stiff upper lip. -AC/DC

End Of Watch: For Thomas Harris

Sleeping Beauties: In Remembrance of Sandra Bland

The Outsider: For Rand and Judy Holston
    Last edited by Randall Flagg; 02-04-2018 at 06:46 AM.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I like the idea of a main listing, but I moreso like the idea of adding this info to the individual book pages in the Catalog.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonsMovies View Post
    I like the idea of a main listing, but I moreso like the idea of adding this info to the individual book pages in the Catalog.
    I thought so too. More work for me.
    I'll probably just start doing them.

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Id be interested in a complete listing but also interested in any related stories behind the dedications

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I have quite a few inscribed to Mike or Michael

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I wasn't talking about a personalized book, but the actual dedications at the beginning of most of King's works.
    I am uploading new images now. If anyone sees mistakes (likely), or omissions, please let me know. Some of King's dedications are simple, but some are (to me) vague. I would love to hear details on the ones that aren't easily figured out.
    Check my first post for the updated images.

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Thanks for that list. Anyone out there have more details on some of these dedications? Like who is Susan Artz and WGT (Rage dedication)?

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedNadine View Post
    Thanks for that list. Anyone out there have more details on some of these dedications? Like who is Susan Artz and WGT (Rage dedication)?
    WGT is William G. Thompson who was King's editor at Doubleday. Thompson tried and tried to get Doubleday to publish GETTING IT ON (the original title of RAGE) but was unsuccessful and, I think, felt almost as badly as King that it wasn't published at that time.

Susan Artz was originally the sole dedicatee for GETTING IT ON. I think she was one of King's teachers at some point but I don't know any more about her than that.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow. Always good information here. I think I might add a Dedication line to the books in our Catalog. When explanations are available, I will could add them parenthetically.
    <----------------------Always looking to add to the Catalog and make it the premier information spot on the WWW.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I am sure he could use some help. I am by no means as knowledgeable as others on these boards. Someone who is an expert could speak up and help out?

Just spitballing here!!

It's a really cool idea!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Susan Artz was originally the sole dedicatee for GETTING IT ON. I think she was one of King's teachers at some point but I don't know any more about her than that.
    In the intro to the original version of The Stand, King acknowledges "Susan Artz Manning of Castine, who proofed the original manuscript." I wonder if that's where the Lost gang got the name for their character, the high school science teacher who ended up splattered all over the place. Dude, you got some Artz on you.

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Wow. Always good information here. I think I might add a Dedication line to the books in our Catalog. When explanations are available, I will could add them parenthetically.
    <----------------------Always looking to add to the Catalog and make it the premier information spot on the WWW.
    I think thats an excellent idea!

My Mood
    Twisted

Interesting observation, Bev.
    Anyone have any info on the Misery dedication? The way that was written sounds like there should be a good story to it:
    "This is for Stephanie and Jim Leonard, who know why. Boy, DO they."

Gunslinger Apprentice DanishCollector will become famous soon enough

Stephanie and Jim Leonard handled a lot of King's fanmail in the days, so they knew about the more unstable and deranged fans.

My Mood
    Twisted

Thanks. Love this kind of trivia. Lot of dedications to Tabby and the kids - and a few to his mom. Dont see any to his Dad though. Very telling I think.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

No big surprise there -- he never knew his dad after the age of two.

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    No big surprise there -- he never knew his dad after the age of two.
    Oh. I knew his parents divorced when he was little but thought I read somewhere he was in touch with him occasionally.

Nope -- never saw him after he walked out. There wasn't even a divorce. He just left.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Starting with "The Long Walk", what info is there about Jim Bishop, Burt Hartlen and Ted Holmes?

Gunslinger Apprentice DanishCollector will become famous soon enough

They were his teachers in college (or high school) and they read the novel in its first draft and urged him to keep on writing...or something like that.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DanishCollector View Post
    They were his teachers in college (or high school) and they read the novel in its first draft and urged him to keep on writing...or something like that.
    Any link or book to look in to verify that info? I don't doubt you, but "Confirm twice, publish once" is how I want to verify before I enter the info in The Catalog.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I will need to obtain the book.

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Starting with "The Long Walk", what info is there about Jim Bishop, Burt Hartlen and Ted Holmes?
    I just purchased The Long Walk from Jim Bishop - inscribed to him by SK. He is sending along a letter of provenance explaining the dedication and inscription. Ill post when I receive it. Hatlen was his English teacher University of Maine. Jim is actually still at the University and I believe was also one of his teachers. I did ask Jim if he knew who Susan Artz was (thinking she was also from the University) but he has no idea who she is.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast