Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Announcement: The Great Music Tournament of 2016

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If waiting for two other nominations is too restricting at this point, we can go to one across the board. Things will certainly go a lot quicker. I'm cool with that.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Please clarify "we can go to one across the board."
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Meaning having a waiting period of one for nominations and secondings.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I am fine with that...and since speed seems to be the reoccurring theme (Though I don't know why) let's do the same with seconds.

Country
    Country Flag

As nobody seems to object, the waiting period now for the remaining three threads is at one for both nominations and secondings.

Country
    Country Flag

So after 12 threads and three months we only have two time periods remaining and hopefully we can finish the necessary nominations there soon. I'm sure everyone is eager to begin voting which should be lots of fun.

Thread 13 needs 48 more seconded tracks with 121 choices now available, and Thread 14 needs 46 tracks with 106 on the unseconded list.

Let's do it!

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Captain and Tenille - Do That to Me One More Time (1979)

Country
    Country Flag

So after more than three months we finally have all of our nominees set, covering the last 70 years of popular music: 1,456 tracks in all... I am super thankful for everyone's patience and participation in these nomination threads! I'm very happy with how the lists turned out. Very eclectic mixes of things and I cannot wait to begin voting on them. That will start very soon, on Monday, March 14, 2016.

Here's a quick layout of Round 1, and there will be a more thorough Overview thread posted later. As stated before there will be a daily posting of eight polls each weekday starting this coming Monday. The first two time periods (1945-1949 and 1950-1954) will have eight groups each while the other 12 time periods will have 16 groups:
    • The first week, from March 14 to March 18, will cover the era from 1945-1949 to the first half of 1960-1964.
    • The second week, from March 21 to March 25 will cover the second half of 1960-1964 through to 1970-1974
    • The third week, from March 28 to April 1, will cover from 1975-1979 to the first half of 1985-1989
    • The fourth week, from April 4 to April 8, will cover the second half of 1985-1989 through 1995-1999
    • The final fifth week, from April 11 to April 16 (this includes the Saturday) will cover all of the 21st century from 2000-2004 through 2010-2014

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Awesome sauce.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

How long will each poll run?

Citizen of Gilead Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Kind of bummed that I just found this. That nomination period looked fun. Looking forward to seeing how this all goes down.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    How long will each poll run?
    Each poll will be open for seven days so there should be plenty of time to check out each nomination

Country
    Country Flag

Happy Pi Day! The first of our polls are now up and running.

The Great Music Tournament has begun!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

great!!!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

have checked all the groups, and in every one of them there's at least one video youtube says is not available

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    have checked all the groups, and in every one of them there's at least one video youtube says is not available
    There could be region-locks so please let me know which one it is in the same thread and I'll try to find an alternative.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Just going through the 50's polls and started to notice a pattern...

Tennessee Ernie Ford - Sixteen Tons (1955)
    Connie Stevens - Sixteen Reasons (1959)
    Sam Cooke - Only Sixteen (1959)
    The Crests - Sixteen Candles (1958 )
    Chuck Berry - Sweet Little Sixteen (1958 )
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah I saw that too. Weird.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aronstg View Post
    Kind of bummed that I just found this. That nomination period looked fun. Looking forward to seeing how this all goes down.
    You'll still vote, right?

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Happy Pi Day! The first of our polls are now up and running.

The Great Music Tournament has begun!

FUCKIN' A!!

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Default It IS a Great Music tournament, but...

So... you nominate, you second, you listen... but which song is YOUR winner in this tournament?

First tell me what you wish would win...a heartfelt second, then tell me your prediction.

I wish the winner were ...

Iron Maiden - Brighter than a Thousand Suns (2006)

I'd love to see:

Taco- Puttin on the Ritz (1982)

I suspect...my prediction is :

The Eagles-Hotel California (1977)

Country
    Country Flag

That one's not in the running though. As far as predictions, that's a very hard question and the reason why I started this thing in the first place. I can make some guesses or wishes, but we'll see what actually happens. I can think of a few favorites that could take the top spot overall in some of the time periods, but the overall winner? No idea.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I preface my following statement by first saying that I understand putting on this tournament is a lot of work. And thank you for that.

But seriously, I am so fucking tired of seeing these threads. Yesterday, I logged in, and I had to scroll through TWO PAGES before I found a normal thread I follow.

If ever there was a fan of the Great Music tournament, and someone who is loving every single second of being a part of it, I am the exact opposite of that.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I preface my following statement by first saying that I understand putting on this tournament is a lot of work. And thank you for that.

But seriously, I am so fucking tired of seeing these threads. Yesterday, I logged in, and I had to scroll through TWO PAGES before I found a normal thread I follow.

If ever there was a fan of the Great Music tournament, and someone who is loving every single second of being a part of it, I am the exact opposite of that.
    I suspect this is an issue due to the way you access the forum. Like me, you probably just click the "You have xx new posts" button and see what's been posted recently. You can avoid this by going direct to Calvins Corner (where most of the interesting SK stuff is posted anyway).
    There is a Vbulletin 4 (which this site uses) Mod to allow the users to ignore specific threads, you just add the thread name to your personal list and it doesnt show up in searches/whats new/todays posts, etc. RF would need to implement this however.

RF, I can point you to the right place if you would like to take a look - just PM me.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I can tell you it's a lot of work. You should see my Excel spreadsheets! Much more work than scrolling through a page or two. But I understand if you're not interested it could be annoying, and I apologize for that. There's really no way around the number of threads with a tournament this big. Some forums have an "Ignore forum" or "Ignore thread" function, but I'm not sure if our does or if that could be implemented. I wish more folks would participate and vote in the threads, but we're having a pretty good turnout still, so at least some people seem to be enjoying it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast