38. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Shining

17 44.74%
  • Blade Runner

21 55.26%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Round 5 - Group 3 of 16

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Great Movie Tournament - 1980s: Round 5 - Group 3 of 16

During the fifth round of The Great Movie Tournament, please vote for one film you would like to move onto the next round. The top film will be moving on. Keep in mind that the percentage of the vote a given film receives will determine its standing going forward.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The Shining (1980)
    Directed by Stanley Kubrick

Watch Trailer

Blade Runner (1982)
    Directed by Ridley Scott

Watch Trailer

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

noooooooo not these two against each other

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    noooooooo not these two against each other
    This one is tough for sure.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah this is something we should've had a few rounds into the playoffs, very difficult choice, but I had to go with Blade Runner.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Easily The Shining. It's a masterpiece, plus I couldn't even make it through Blade Runner without falling asleep.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Hi Red_Balloon. I sent you a PM a few days ago, did you receive it?

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

No idea what to do here - I think I gotta go back and watch some snippets from each. Ugh - two of my favorites.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Shining

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

"The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long... and you've burned so very very brightly, Roy."

The dialogue in BR is pure secks.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    No idea what to do here - I think I gotta go back and watch some snippets from each. Ugh - two of my favorites.
    That's exactly what I thought too. However, this scene has nailed the decision for me. It's by far the best scene of any Sci-fi movie and one of the finest monologues in cinematic history:

Blade Runner for the win!

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

The Shining
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Country
    Country Flag

Wow this is very close. Both are staggering masterpieces. Both have very iconic scores. I feel like Blade Runner has had a bigger influence on sci-fi in general as opposed to Kubrick's film in its genre. And it's not close to Kubrick's best, in my opinion, even though as always it is expertly crafted.

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Ive never liked The Shining the movie. Ive always loved Blade Runner.
    Easy choice for me.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've got the 5-DVD box set for Blade Runner on my shelf. All versions; commentaries; special features--and I've watched it all several times.

I don't even own The Shining DVD. It's not that I don't like it. It's a pretty good horror movie; but I don't sit around thinking "Man, I just gotta watch The Shining again!"

And I do that for Blade Runner quite often. So that tells you my vote.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Shining is a more iconic movie and much more of a classic. How many times in media today do you see Blade Runner featured in one form or another? None that comes to mind... but Remember last years (or year before maybe) Ready Player One? It is a common occurrence to see Shining referenced... AND often. Just the last Superbowl it was with a commercial. It hands down wins here.... I really didn't even like Blade Runner that much. Nor the new one.. sorry guys.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

You can literally see Blade Runner reflected in so much of subsequent sci-fi movies. It essentially created the cyberpunk genre so there would be no Matrix or Dark Knight without it: https://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/bl...tt-1201883053/

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I've got the 5-DVD box set for Blade Runner on my shelf. All versions; commentaries; special features--and I've watched it all several times.

I don't even own The Shining DVD. It's not that I don't like it. It's a pretty good horror movie; but I don't sit around thinking "Man, I just gotta watch The Shining again!"

And I do that for Blade Runner quite often. So that tells you my vote.
    You voted for The Shining because it went further on a single view?
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    You can literally see Blade Runner reflected in so much of subsequent sci-fi movies. It essentially created the cyberpunk genre so there would be no Matrix or Dark Knight without it: https://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/bl...tt-1201883053/
    Direct... not indirect
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    The Shining is a more iconic movie and much more of a classic. How many times in media today do you see Blade Runner featured in one form or another? None that comes to mind... but Remember last years (or year before maybe) Ready Player One? It is a common occurrence to see Shining referenced... AND often. Just the last Superbowl it was with a commercial. It hands down wins here.... I really didn't even like Blade Runner that much. Nor the new one.. sorry guys.
    Like Mae already mentioned, Blade Runner created a genre and has been an inspiration for basically any writer, creator dipping his/her toes into the realm of cyberpunk sci-fi. Its fine if you like The Shining more, but to try and deny Blade Runner's significance is frankly pretty laughable.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I wonder of the results would be the same on a non-SK website...
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

How about adding this to the debate. Stanley Kubrick contributed to Blade Runner's ending. Check this out...

https://nofilmschool.com/2017/06/why...tanley-kubrick

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    We are four for four in disagreements. After rewatching some of each I ended up going with Blade Runner. Keep in mind this was a narrow win. Just because the commercial world chooses to create kitsch moments does not elevate a film's worth. The Shining is a great film, but as Mae defends, Blade Runner's influence is everywhere. The indirectness of this influence is a testament to the film. These become homages to something great, not something overtly created to make an easy buck.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Ask and ye shall receive: I made this poll today on a different forum. I'll post the link later today when more people get their votes in.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Ask and ye shall receive: I made this poll today on a different forum. I'll post the link later today when more people get their votes in.
    I'll be quite curious as well. The Shining is considered one of the best horror films made, so it's not like we're comparing a cheesy King adaptation to Blade Runner.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    I'll be quite curious as well. The Shining is considered one of the best horror films made, so it's not like we're comparing a cheesy King adaptation to Blade Runner.
    We have 28 votes in this poll. Should I lock the other one at 28 or let it run for a day?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast