Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 638 of 714 FirstFirst ... 138 538 588 628 636 637 638 639 640 648 688 ... LastLast
Results 15,926 to 15,950 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I second the Corbett books. Speaks the Nightbird was the first McCammon I read, and from the first couple of chapters, it was clear to me that he can *write*. I finished the series to date, and I'm now making my way through his older works. (Just finished Mystery Walk; About to start Usher's Passing).

The audio for the Corbett books are outstanding, by the way. Highly recommend them.

HBJ

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    I second the Corbett books. Speaks the Nightbird was the first McCammon I read, and from the first couple of chapters, it was clear to me that he can *write*. I finished the series to date, and I'm now making my way through his older works. (Just finished Mystery Walk; About to start Usher's Passing).

The audio for the Corbett books are outstanding, by the way. Highly recommend them.

HBJ
    He can definitely write. I was pretty sucked into the first Matthew Corbett book so quickly that it didn't click with me immediately just how impressive it is that he is able to switch his writing style over to something with such a historical fiction feel.
    Have you read Boy's Life yet?

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Speaking of McCammon - reading The Listener and loving it! I was so terribly disappointed with his previous novel, The Border, right from the very first sentence: The Boy who was running ran into the rain. This sentence turned me right off and I didn't recover.
    But now, the Listener. Almost halfways and it might end up very near the top of my all-time McCammon favorites: Boy's Life and Speaks the Nightbird. The first will always be my #1, I think, just like no other novel will ever dethrone my #1 King favorite, The Stand. And Speaks the Nightbird is a fantastic, awe-inspiring introduction to the Matthew Corbett series. Unfortunately (??), it's still my favorite of the series and I doubt McCammon will do better (within this series.)

sk

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    Speaking of McCammon - reading The Listener and loving it! I was so terribly disappointed with his previous novel, The Border, right from the very first sentence: The Boy who was running ran into the rain. This sentence turned me right off and I didn't recover.
    But now, the Listener. Almost halfways and it might end up very near the top of my all-time McCammon favorites: Boy's Life and Speaks the Nightbird. The first will always be my #1, I think, just like no other novel will ever dethrone my #1 King favorite, The Stand. And Speaks the Nightbird is a fantastic, awe-inspiring introduction to the Matthew Corbett series. Unfortunately (??), it's still my favorite of the series and I doubt McCammon will do better (within this series.)

sk
    Wow, that's great to hear about The Listener. I look forward to reading it.

Also, that line from The Border. Wtf?! I can see how that would ruin things for you.

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Default What are you currently reading?

But now, the Listener. Almost halfways and it might end up very near the top of my all-time McCammon favorites: Boy's Life and Speaks the Nightbird.
    I’m still kicking myself for not ordering it when I got the email from CD. There was even some they “found in warehouse” that I also passed on. Oh well, I just started collecting McCammon (thanks to you!) and there’s plenty of time to add The Listener. I’m just happy there’s so much greatness by him to read!

Edit: fixed typo in the author’s name
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

sk
    Yep, Listener just jumped to #2 for me for McCammon. Boy’s Life being number one. If you liked/loved Boy’s Life you will likely the same for the Listener and vice versa. He’s back to that simplistic extravegance that is really tough to pull off.
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Reading: The Shape of Water by GDT. It's pretty good. It's not as good as The Strain but I'm entertained. Also reading The Terror.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Reading: The Shape of Water by GDT. It's pretty good. It's not as good as The Strain but I'm entertained. Also reading The Terror.
    Really? I found The Strain quite dull. I didn't like the writing style. Felt very choppy

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    No, I still have that to look forward to.

I tend to listen to audiobooks, so I haven't listened to them in strict publication order. But I have read all up to and including Mystery Walk, and also Swan Song and Stinger. And all the Corbett books. I haven't read any of the non-Corbett modern novels yet.

HBJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    No, I still have that to look forward to.
    Indeed you do! It's a wonderful book.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So the Listener Is good guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Finished Ghoul by Brian Keene. Started The Kill Riff by David J. Schow.

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Just finished The Manitou by Graham Masterton. Man, that was a fun read.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Reading ‘Savage Season’ by Joe R Lansdale. My first Hap & Leonard read, so I figured I’d start at the beginning. Interesting so far. Not what I expected, but I’m enjoying it.

Just before starting Savage Season I finished ‘61’ by Lee Child. I enjoyed it, but the early Reacher books stood out more. I, much like the Travis McGee books, still like the genre.

Going to read Unbury Carol next.
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:

Gunslinger Apprentice BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished reading Summer of Night by Dan Simmons. One of the best horror books I have read in years!! I put it up there with the 1980's King. Just started Children of Night which is the sequel to Summer of Night. Not as good so far but getting better.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BigJoeHillfan View Post
    Just finished reading Summer of Night by Dan Simmons. One of the best horror books I have read in years!! I put it up there with the 1980's King. Just started Children of Night which is the sequel to Summer of Night. Not as good so far but getting better.
    Summer of Night is excellent. Glad you liked it. It’s a top story for me as well. Keep us posted on how Children of Night turns out. I’ve got that on the ‘to read’ list.

WTB:

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Summer of Night is one of my all-time favorites. Although Dan Simmons denies it, SON was clearly influenced by IT. A Winter Haunting is the sequel to SON. Children of the Night features a major character from SON but wasn't written as a sequel.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Add me to the list of those that loved Summer of Night. One of my favorites. It definitely had an It vibe to me as well. Still need to read Children of Night, let us know how you like it.

Gunslinger Apprentice BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough BigJoeHillfan will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Summer of Night is one of my all-time favorites. Although Dan Simmons denies it, SON was clearly influenced by IT. A Winter Haunting is the sequel to SON. Children of the Night features a major character from SON but wasn't written as a sequel.
    Yes I was mistaken when I said it was a sequel to SON. They mention the other boy's from SON but the only character with a real role is Mike O'Rourke. I am about half way through and it is getting pretty good. The first part had a lot of really detailed medical descriptions, while probably being well researched and correct, were far above my head as far as understanding. I will let you know what my final verdict is on the book when I finish.

Summer of Night is a wonderful book. I also liked Children of the Night, which is a very different book, but does have a couple of characters from SON.

Other books with adult SON characters include Fires of Eden and A Winter Haunting. I didn't care for the first and have not yet read the second.

Right now, I'm reading The Spy Who Came In from the Cold, by John Le Carré. What can I say, it's the quintessential Cold War espionage novel. Chilling, but wonderful.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I loved a Winter Haunting and the site you suggested for the follow up.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I was going to post the link for Watching The Presidential Debate in Elm Haven but is no longer on the Dan Simmons website. It is an excellent coda to Summer Of Night.

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I was going to post the link for Watching The Presidential Debate in Elm Haven but is no longer on the Dan Simmons website. It is an excellent coda to Summer Of Night.
    Is that a short story Dan wrote? Was it ever printed anywhere? Sounds cool.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I just read Cheeseboy by Graham Masterton. It is the first of his works I’ve read, and I must say it is one of the most bizarre stories I’ve ever read. Has anyone else read this yet?
    Sloth Love Chunk

Is that a short story Dan wrote? Was it ever printed anywhere? Sounds cool.
    I was able to locate the link on the Dan Simmons website for Watching The Presidential Debates In Elm Haven. It was a two part segment in the & November Message From Dan section:

Part 1 https://www.dansimmons.com/news/message/2008_10.html.
    Part 2 https://www.dansimmons.com/news/message/2008_11.html.

Dan also published a chapbook titled Banished Dreams that included dream sequences for Mike O'Rourke, Dale Stewart, Lawrence Stewart and Kevin Grumbacher that were cut from the published version of Summer Of Night. I believe that Sub Press really messed up by not including both Banished Dreams and Watching The Presidential Debates In Elm Haven as bonus content in their limited edition of Summer Of Night.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 638 of 714 FirstFirst ... 138 538 588 628 636 637 638 639 640 648 688 ... LastLast