Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 141 of 441 FirstFirst ... 41 91 131 139 140 141 142 143 151 191 241 ... LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,525 of 11013

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Agreed on being afraid of the hype of DU, especially after how disappointing I found Inglourious Basterds to be. But yeah, Django Unchained was wonderfully refreshing. One of my favourite films of last year.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Looper

Pretty good, I thought. A little slow in some places, but overall I really enjoyed it. Especially loved that the idea of who the protagonist and who the antagonist was was pretty much turned on its head halfway through. The older Joe might be a different man to his younger self, a man who's learned from his mistakes, but as the film goes on, you begin to realise that he's only making new ones. That's what I liked about it the most, that it was a real character study more than anything. 7/10

- Melike

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Le Temps de Loup, by Michael Haneke.

The shortest review I've ever written:

28 Days Later is better in every respect. Period.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, the general consensus is that it's Haneke's worst film.

I still want to watch it however. Not only becuase it's his film, but because I have an undying fascination with apocalyptic films.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Looper

Pretty good, I thought. A little slow in some places, but overall I really enjoyed it. Especially loved that the idea of who the protagonist and who the antagonist was was pretty much turned on its head halfway through. The older Joe might be a different man to his younger self, a man who's learned from his mistakes, but as the film goes on, you begin to realise that he's only making new ones. That's what I liked about it the most, that it was a real character study more than anything. 7/10
    Glad you enjoyed it. Like I said awhile back, it really suprised me. Definitely not perfect, but wayy better than I thought it'd be. I didn't rate it (I don't think), but if I would've, I probably would have given it a 7.5/10.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post

I still want to watch it however. Not only becuase it's his film, but because I have an undying fascination with apocalyptic films.
    I tried to watch it once but couldn't really get into it so gave up. I've been meaning to go back and try again at some point.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Looper

Noice, glad you enjoyed it. The grandfather paradox is virtually unsolveable so I'm glad the film decided to shift the bulk of the focus on the characters instead, because like you mentioned it's more of a character study than anything. I too found it a bit slow, especially during the tail end of the second act, but the final third of the film more than made up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post

I tried to watch it once but couldn't really get into it so gave up. I've been meaning to go back and try again at some point.
    Is it on instant play? I don't remember seeing it on there, maybe I made a typo while searching for it.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I think it's just dvd.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post

you don't have to. It doesn't develop or come to anything.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Gotta admit, The Hobbit has a special place in my heart. One of my favourite books I read in childhood. Honestly, to this day, I still prefer its fairytale simplicity over The Lord of the Rings. The character of Bilbo Baggins was such a wonderfully written character, a reluctant hero who didn't belong on an adventure (or so he thinks) and gets thrust into one anyway. When I heard about the new film, I was really keen to check it out, especially since I heard Del Toro was gonna direct it. Honestly, if there was one man meant to direct such a classic story, it would definitely be him, with his wonderful eye for monsters, both ugly and beautiful, and with trolls, giant spiders and dragons, and Pan's Labyrinth proving he's great at telling a wonderful fairy tale, he could've done a brilliant job. When it turned out he wasn't going to direct after all, I was a little disapointed, even with Peter Jackson on duty. When I heard about the plans for a Hobbit "trilogy" for a 400 page novel, I grew more than a bit sceptical about it. The Hobbit is such a different work from the Lord of the Rings, and really, I wanted it to be its own thing, not just "The Lord of the Rings Prequel Trilogy". That, plus after the ridiculously long King Kong, (seriously, making a 3 hour movie based in a world that's rich in mythology and huge in scale is one thing, making a 3 hour movie about a giant ape who gets captured and goes on the rampage in New York is more than a bit excessive, especially when the first fucking hour's on a boat,) I kinda lost my faith in Jackson.

Having just watched it, as I expected it, it wasn't as magical as the original story, and in some places it really could've done with some tightening up, but overall...it wasn't that bad. It was a pretty cool film in its own right. It was pretty faithful to a lot of the original novel (well, the first third or so anyway), even if it wasn't quite as magical, and although it did feel at times to be a prequel to the LotR trilogy, it has to be said, it was a really good one. The final third especially was really great, full of some of the kick-ass battles that we saw in LotR (or at least, we saw in Fellowship of the Ring that were smaller scale than the later films), while also setting things up very nicely for the LotR trilogy. In fact, I'm really looking forward to when the whole trilogy is finished and seeing how well the whole story leads into LotR.

In short, while it's not the ideal adaptation I would've liked, it's a nice return to Middle Earth. 7/10

- Melike

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nice review, James. I still haven't seen it. I had planned on it after I read the book but honestly, I just kind of lost interest.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh shit that reminds me, I still need to watch The Hobbit

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I LOVED The Hobbit. So much so that I haven't really been able to type up a proper review after 3 viewings only because my excitement wouldn't lead to much coherence.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Gotta admit, The Hobbit has a special place in my heart. One of my favourite books I read in childhood. Honestly, to this day, I still prefer its fairytale simplicity over The Lord of the Rings. The character of Bilbo Baggins was such a wonderfully written character, a reluctant hero who didn't belong on an adventure (or so he thinks) and gets thrust into one anyway. When I heard about the new film, I was really keen to check it out, especially since I heard Del Toro was gonna direct it. Honestly, if there was one man meant to direct such a classic story, it would definitely be him, with his wonderful eye for monsters, both ugly and beautiful, and with trolls, giant spiders and dragons, and Pan's Labyrinth proving he's great at telling a wonderful fairy tale, he could've done a brilliant job. When it turned out he wasn't going to direct after all, I was a little disapointed, even with Peter Jackson on duty. When I heard about the plans for a Hobbit "trilogy" for a 400 page novel, I grew more than a bit sceptical about it. The Hobbit is such a different work from the Lord of the Rings, and really, I wanted it to be its own thing, not just "The Lord of the Rings Prequel Trilogy". That, plus after the ridiculously long King Kong, (seriously, making a 3 hour movie based in a world that's rich in mythology and huge in scale is one thing, making a 3 hour movie about a giant ape who gets captured and goes on the rampage in New York is more than a bit excessive, especially when the first fucking hour's on a boat,) I kinda lost my faith in Jackson.

Having just watched it, as I expected it, it wasn't as magical as the original story, and in some places it really could've done with some tightening up, but overall...it wasn't that bad. It was a pretty cool film in its own right. It was pretty faithful to a lot of the original novel (well, the first third or so anyway), even if it wasn't quite as magical, and although it did feel at times to be a prequel to the LotR trilogy, it has to be said, it was a really good one. The final third especially was really great, full of some of the kick-ass battles that we saw in LotR (or at least, we saw in Fellowship of the Ring that were smaller scale than the later films), while also setting things up very nicely for the LotR trilogy. In fact, I'm really looking forward to when the whole trilogy is finished and seeing how well the whole story leads into LotR.

In short, while it's not the ideal adaptation I would've liked, it's a nice return to Middle Earth. 7/10
    Nice review, James. My sentiments are pretty much the same.

I became a huge fan of the Lord of the Rings after seeing the Fellowship in theaters way back in 2001. It was such a magical journey I just couldn't get enough of that universe. That being said, I knew that The Hobbit wasn't going to be the same. Because of this, I wasn't really disappointed in the film.

I will say this, the scene with Bilbo and Gollum is amazing. I could watch that all day. Knowing how important that scene is to the rest of the trilogy made it that much more awesome.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Citizen of Gilead killbourne will become famous soon enough killbourne will become famous soon enough killbourne's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

CHAINED. A movie by the daughter of david lynch. Dont want to say anything about the movie because it caught me by surprise. It gets under your skin a little.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Lincoln: It works on many levels; as a period piece, a biography, a great drama and a film about at one of the most pivotal crossroads of American History. Outside the primary roles, they chose many great character actors like Bruce McGill, Tim Blake Nelson, John Hawkes and Jackie Earle Haley to fill out the ensemble...all they needed was Timothy Spall and Phillip Baker Hall for the ultimate character actor assemblance in a film. Lincoln is portrayed as someone so passive and stoic he always seems to be slumped and shrinking, at times wrapped in a shawl, as if he was already dead or dying and was aware of the sacrifice he was making, both with his life and family, for the betterment of his people. Tommy Lee Jones practically steals the show during his few scenes in front of the senate which were just fantastic. As good as Lincoln was, I think Silver Linings Playbook is still the best movie that is in the running for the big award. Sidenote: In Lincoln the democratic process is fought through with viscious, biting insults suffixing their points in the debate, and if things were still done in such a manner, I would watch CSPAN all the time.

The Sessions: Helun Hunt, Jon Hawkes and William H Macy was what drew me to this movie initially. It is a very good movie, and the fact it wasn't nominated for Best Picture shows how good the films that were nominated are. It's rather a shame John Hawkes didn't receive a nom, but I suppose that category was crowded; he portrays someone with his condition with such normality, as do the director and the writer. His character of Mark is never displayed as someone we should sympathise with because we're meant to, we sympathise with him because we only see him as a human. The scenes with William H. Macy as his priest work as a great foil for him give soliloquies (Mark is a poet afterall) so the audience sees his struggle on a personal and human level. As someone who has dealt and interacted a great deal with people with terminal, physically or mentally incapacitating disorders, this movie spoke to me in a very true to life way. To see a movie that deals with the horrors and excitement and intimacy and love and normalcy sex could bring to someone like Mark, and to portray it with such heart and clever wit, is very refreshing. It reminds me of Silver Linings Playbook, which deals with mental health issues without chastising or exploiting it. Helen Hunt shows great tenderness, as a woman who probably gives most of herself away to others, and finds herself not unhappy but unfulfilled in a way I don't think she even understands. It's a wonderful way to spend an hour and a half.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool reviews, Matt. Good to see you posting on here again.

The Thirteenth Floor -

It's often billed as a 'poor man's Matrix', and with it's production values it's not far off the mark to be honest. However, where as the Matrix was bogged down with the necessity to accomodate set pieces, TTF has no such problems - it deliberately plods along and takes it's time to unravel, slowly peeling off each layer to cue the audience in. My only complaint would be that it was nearly not long enough, would have loved an additional 15-20 minutes to explore more of the world's nooks and crannies.

It's not a masterpiece by any means, but if you find yourself with nothing to do on a Friday night, and are in the mood for a solid sci-fi piece in the vein of The Matrix/Dark City, give this a shot.

6/10

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice reviews, Matt. Didn't get a chance to see The Sessions, but I heard it's good. I will have to rent that.

I really enjoyed Lincoln. I know a lot of people that didn't enjoy the film. Claiming that they fell asleep and that it was boring. It's true that the film takes a little while to get going, but once it does, it moves with great pace. Some films just aren't made for certain people.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Especially the second half of Lincoln was fantastic. It's not the best movie of the year, but if it won Best Picture I couldn't say it wasn't good enough to deserve it.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Beasts of the Southern Wild: One thing I can say about this movie is that it is very unique and so much of what made it great is what isn't discussed or touched upon. The human race was aware of the ice caps melting and took appropriate measures to ensure the survival of their citizens. However we see it's the south that is abandoned, that is deemed expendable, as are it's people. They are walled in and I'm assuming those financially unable to leave were forced to stay and I'm sure race had a fair bit to do with the assessment. It seems much of the inspiration for the film was hurricane Katrina, and the effect it had on the south, and primarily on the poor and on the black race. We don't know how long these people have been cut off from a fully functional society, could be ten years, could have been fifty. The people of the Bathtub, as their region of Louisiana was was coined, were primitive compared to the rest of the country. In order to see this world as it truly exists, we see it through the eyes of a young girl; grocery stores, hospitals and so many things we take for granted do not exist for her, as the only technology is broken down machinery that is outdated by the rest of the country. We see a child who knows only survival. Yet despite the primitive way of life for the people of the Bathtub, idealism, good will and human decency have not died off, that it these things we strive and fight to keep alive, stay alive in the minds of youth. The role of the father is so well portrayed; he is forced to bring up his daughter with tough love and discipline and strength so she will be able to survive to the horrors and hardships of life in the Bathtub, yet is terrified for her to learn about inevitability of mortality. The movie tactfully makes its points: humans are just a part of the natural order of things, being animals ourselves and not above the earth; and that virtue can overcome attrocity.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I had no interesting in watching that, but you've inspired me Matt.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Beasts of the Southern Wild: One thing I can say about this movie is that it is very unique and so much of what made it great is what isn't discussed or touched upon. The human race was aware of the ice caps melting and took appropriate measures to ensure the survival of their citizens. However we see it's the south that is abandoned, that is deemed expendable, as are it's people. They are walled in and I'm assuming those financially unable to leave were forced to stay and I'm sure race had a fair bit to do with the assessment. It seems much of the inspiration for the film was hurricane Katrina, and the effect it had on the south, and primarily on the poor and on the black race. We don't know how long these people have been cut off from a fully functional society, could be ten years, could have been fifty. The people of the Bathtub, as their region of Louisiana was was coined, were primitive compared to the rest of the country. In order to see this world as it truly exists, we see it through the eyes of a young girl; grocery stores, hospitals and so many things we take for granted do not exist for her, as the only technology is broken down machinery that is outdated by the rest of the country. We see a child who knows only survival. Yet despite the primitive way of life for the people of the Bathtub, idealism, good will and human decency have not died off, that it these things we strive and fight to keep alive, stay alive in the minds of youth. The role of the father is so well portrayed; he is forced to bring up his daughter with tough love and discipline and strength so she will be able to survive to the horrors and hardships of life in the Bathtub, yet is terrified for her to learn about inevitability of mortality. The movie tactfully makes its points: humans are just a part of the natural order of things, being animals ourselves and not above the earth; and that virtue can overcome attrocity.
    Matt, I'm glad you enjoyed Beasts. You seemed to have been invested enough in the film to find a ton of subtext. I however couldn't get into the film and therefore only found the messages about environment on the surface.

I felt the film lacked focus and was very light on plot. The little girl was good, but in no way deserving of the nomination. Most of her work is done by voice over. I've discussed this in another thread, but I thought the plot synopsis is entirely misleading.

I also don't think the solar ice caps melting is what caused the flooding. I think that is how Hushpuppy connected the flooding. I think it was a Katrina like event that caused the flooding. It's true these people have been cut off and many of them don't have the money to move out of there, but when they are rescued they escape. Instead of being happy and thankful for the provisions they are being offered, they escape like they are being held captive. Makes no sense.

I will never understand the Oscar nomination for best picture.

Feev, do I gather that you don't like The Matrix?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Oh hell yeah I love The Matrix, one of my favorite sci-fi films. Why, does my post come off as anti-matrix?

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well if the polar ice caps didn't melt, how do you explain the mammoth like boars that they showed come from inside them in Antarctica? The ice caps were flooding, which is why the massive levee was built, to doom the areas of land that were doomed but to save the rest of the nation. Hushpuppie talks about how the universe exists because everything has a purpose, and perhaps our purpose was to free these animals trapped in the ice. Just another way you could look at it. It is loose on plot, but I think it's because we only see what is happening through the eyes of a little girl, who would overlook many details anyways.
    Spoiler:
    They showed the mammoth boars eating their own kind, to stay alive, to prosper...kind of like how many people were sacrificed to save the nation and their species, meaning the mammoth boars and humans were revealed to be the same

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Oh hell yeah I love The Matrix, one of my favorite sci-fi films. Why, does my post come off as anti-matrix?
    However, where as the Matrix was bogged down with the necessity to accomodate set pieces, TTF has no such problems
    I guess I just read it differently. The phrase "bogged down" made it seem like a bad thing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 141 of 441 FirstFirst ... 41 91 131 139 140 141 142 143 151 191 241 ... LastLast