Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who will advance to the next round ?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christopher Nolan

16 50.00%
  • Steven Spielberg

16 50.00%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TDGT - Round 3 - Christopher Nolan vs Steven Spielberg

Hybrid View

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

What if we compared early films to early films. Let's look at that angle.

What are Nolan's major release movies? In order, via IMDB ( skipping shorts / student films)
    1. Following
    2. Memento
    3. Insomnia
    4. Batman Begins
    5. The Prestige
    6. Dark Knight
    7. Inception
    What are SS equal ones? In order, via IMDB ( skipping shorts, TV and student films )
    1. The Sugarland Express
    2. Jaws
    3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    4. 1941
    5. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    6. ET
    7. Twilight Zone

Ricky, man, come on - I love this stuff. I love talking movies with you all! Seriously. Regardless of whether we all agree, and I'm glad we don't always, it's refreshing to be able to talk movies with people who have seen a vast number of films and hold really strong opinions about them.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post

What are Nolan's major release movies? In order, via IMDB ( skipping shorts / student films)
    1. Doodlebug
    2. Following
    3. Memento
    4. Insomnia
    5. Batman Begins
    6. The Prestige
    7. Dark Knight
    8. Inception
    What are SS equal ones? In order, via IMDB ( skipping shorts, TV and student films )
    1. The Sugarland Express
    2. Jaws
    4. 1941
    6. ET
    7. Twilight Zone
    8. Temple of Doom
    Sooooooo .................. Nolan wins ?

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post

1. Doodlebug
    2. Following
    3. Memento
    4. Insomnia
    5. Batman Begins
    6. The Prestige
    7. Dark Knight
    8. Inception
    1. The Sugarland Express
    2. Jaws
    4. 1941
    6. ET
    7. Twilight Zone
    8. Temple of Doom
    Yes, that was exactly my point, thank you, Feev!

Sincerely, I'll put ET, Jaws, Raiders and Close Encounters up against anything Nolan has done.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ricky, man, come on - I love this stuff. I love talking movies with you all! Seriously. Regardless of whether we all agree, and I'm glad we don't always, it's refreshing to be able to talk movies with people who have seen a vast number of films and hold really strong opinions about them.
    I agree wholeheartedly. I love talking about movies with you all. There's not too many people outside of the site that I'd be able to find that would be as interesting in discussing and dissecting.

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I wasn't aware there was any doubt.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

On the Spielberg vs Nolan argument:

What cannot be ignored is that Spielberg did change the face of American cinema with quite a few films in that list: Jaws, ET, Raiders, all fucking blockbuster classics for very different reasons. I think the problem is that, unlike Nolan, he hasn't released any film that's had nearly that same level of impact for at least ten years now, or any kind of film that's nearly as great as his early work.

I say nearly because as truly great Inception was, has it really changed the face of cinema? Too early to tell. I'm hoping for yes. I'm hoping that Nolan has shown that audiences want smart, intelligent films as well as awesome blockbusters, that we do want those two kinds of films combined, but...well, I've got my doubts, but we'll see. But I'm a lot more cynical of the impact of great films now after knowing that we live in a world where Scott Pilgrim bombed. Fucking shocking, that.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    I'm hoping that Nolan has shown that audiences want smart, intelligent films as well as awesome blockbusters, that we do want those two kinds of films combined
    Well said.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    On the Spielberg vs Nolan argument:

What cannot be ignored is that Spielberg did change the face of American cinema with quite a few films in that list: Jaws, ET, Raiders, all fucking blockbuster classics for very different reasons. I think the problem is that, unlike Nolan, he hasn't released any film that's had nearly that same level of impact for at least ten years now, or any kind of film that's nearly as great as his early work.
    I can't disagree with that any more vehemently. One of Spielberg's most profound films was Munich, which was only five years ago. It blew my mind when I saw it in theaters, and it hasn't lost its power in subsequent viewings on DVD.

+ Reply to Thread