Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 441 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 119 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I haven't seen Tropic Thunder, so I can't comment on whether it's great or shite, but I gotta give thumbups to feev for throwing some love to Last Action Hero! Totally worth it just for "Arnold Schwarzeneggar's Hamlet"!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    They played parodies of themselves What made this movie work so well is the big stars were not afraid to poke fun at themselves, like Tom Cruise. Like all Ben Stiller movies, the brilliance of this film will take years to sink in. The Cable Guy and Zoolander were both terribly recieved but are now have quite the cult followings. Stiller has the uncanny ability to hide his intelligent scripts and commentary so immersed in the atmosphere of the material it can be hard to spot.

Ben Stiller as a comedic actor, he is so so. But as a comedic writer/director he's one of the best as far as I am concerned.

You can't really say the movie isn't clever because you didn't like two performances. Cleverness is up the writer, not the actors.

I LOVED Tropic Thunder! Purely on the reasons you mentioned above. As far as I am concerned, they pretty much nail a (albeit over-done and satirized) good look at most of Hollywood.

Also, Jay Baruchel is in it, and I might be in love with him

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    I haven't seen Tropic Thunder, so I can't comment on whether it's great or shite, but I gotta give thumbups to feev for throwing some love to Last Action Hero! Totally worth it just for "Arnold Schwarzeneggar's Hamlet"!
    "Stay thy hand, fair prince."

"Who said I'm fair?"

/uzi

or what about

"This isn't the movies anymore Jack ! Here you have to reload guns !"

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

last action hero is probably one of my favorite arnold movies ever.

Jack: I'll be back! Ha! You didn't know I was gonna say that, did you?
    Danny: That's what you always say!
    Jack: I do?
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by IWasSentWest View Post
    Jack: I'll be back! Ha! You didn't know I was gonna say that, did you?
    Danny: That's what you always say!
    Jack: I do?
    Danny : Yeah, it's like your calling card. Everyone is always waiting for you to work it in.

One of my favorite parts is when they see "Stallone in Terminator 2" So many great moments in that movie.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I think the most ridiculous death ever followed by "I iced that guy, to cone a phrase!" also has to be given a mention!

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Scott Pilgrim vs The World - 7/10

An entertaining, psychedelic, hyperactive montage of highly stylized visual effects, video game / comic book references and contemporary pop-culture, with a love story thrown into the mix. Edgar Wright continues his winning streak with a film that flirts with different genres, yet manages to effectively combine different aspects of each to create something wholly unique. Beneath the glossy veneer of the films’ polished visuals, is a story about the dynamics of falling in love, and the painful yet necessary process of moving on after a tried and failed relationship. Don’t let that fool you though; the film is first and foremost a love letter to a generation that grew up on an 8-bit diet, a sub-culture of video game loving aficionados. Michael Cera really surprised me in this role , he was able to display a wide range of emotions in back to back scenes, seemingly effortlessly – one second he was an energetic, highly confident (at times arrogant) bass player of an under ground band, the next an extremely vulnerable and heart broken teenager, lamenting over having his heart broken by a former love.

Now, onto some of the cons : the film moves at such frantic pace, and Wright employs his flurry of quick cuts so often, that it sometimes leaves the viewer disoriented, and makes it difficult to follow the chain of events unfolding. Also, the film does an excellent job of balancing the human / romantic angle and the stylized set pieces … until the last 4th of the movie, where the film is moving at such a relentless speed that you as a viewer are clamoring for a breather from the fury of constant flashes and cartoonish explosions.

Still, these are only minor quarrels in an otherwise excellent film. If you know what a Triforce is, are familiar with a 200x combo, and know that a quarter is equal to an extra Continue – then this film is definitely for you.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Great to know you enjoyed it, feev! Even better that Michael Cera surprised you with a good performance. I had a feeling he would: I ain't seen any of Cera's movies, but Wright has a habit of casting actors that work well as a group, so the other actors around Cera probably helped (Wright even admitted that one of the biggest reasons Spaced worked so well as a sitcom was that the cast were practically mates already, and with any other cast it just wouldn't have been as good), not to mention he's a horrendous perfectionist when it comes to filmmaking, so I doubt he would've cast an actor who would've been just "ok" for the lead role!

Now I'm looking forward to it more than ever! Wednesday can't come soon enough for this Wright fanatic! (Although I'm still pissed off at Universal for delaying an Edgar Wright film in the UK by nearly 2 weeks! Bastards! )

- Melike

Gunslinger Apprentice boq is on a distinguished road boq's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just recently caught Toy Story 3. Not ashamed to say I blubbed my way through the end of the film, and felt a helluva lot better for it

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Shutter island

8/10. The plot seemed fairly predictable and there were no surprises that i didn't see coming, however saying that i really want to watch it again (and again and again) due to the solid acting, the brilliant use of music and some sharp dialogue - the film elevated itself into something that will probably turn out to be one of my all time favourite movies.

and i must admit that
    Spoiler:
    the last line made tears come to my eyes

Leonardo is shaping up to be one of my favourite actors,

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wish I would've liked it like you did, candy. I'm beginning to think that it's one of those movies that should be seen before reading the book, if you want to enjoy the movie. I read the book first, and found that I wasn't too excited by the movie.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i'm the same, that why i nearly always try to hold off reading a book till i have watched a film, or some films i just won't watch as i know they won't hold a candle to the book and it will either a) annoy the shite out of me, or b) even worse ruin the book for me

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I wish I would've liked it like you did, candy. I'm beginning to think that it's one of those movies that should be seen before reading the book, if you want to enjoy the movie. I read the book first, and found that I wasn't too excited by the movie.
    I wasn't, either, without reading the book

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yup, that's like me too. Same thing with The Prestige - glad I saw the movie first there, too.

Some movies like you said, I won't even bother watching because I don't want the book ruined for me (The Stand).

(OT- I do love your av/sig combo though. )
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'm glad you enjoyed it Candy, and I love your new theme
    Do you plan on reading the book at all? I was having a really hard time with it, but I'm thinking it's just because I saw the movie first and they're very similar (well at least up to what I read was).
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

oh yes, its on my list of books to read, i just have Brave new world and the Prestige to read - then i am getting Shutter Island

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Watched the movie without reading the book and I loved it. It's a great film.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    oh yes, its on my list of books to read, i just have Brave new world and the Prestige to read - then i am getting Shutter Island
    Nice list. You have a nice block of reading ahead of you. Let me know what you think of Brave New World when you're finished.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm currently readin Dostoevksy's 'The Idiot' which is being made into a movie next year according to IMDB.

As for book to movie, I always much prefer to have read the book before the movie. Mainly beacuse I must be one of the only people who isn't anal about adaptations. As long as the basic story is there and it works for the movie, I can't complain. Look at The Shining; so much different from the book in terms of ending and delivery but it may even be better than the book. And The Mist...like almost word for word save for the ending.

Then you have a movie like The Lost World and I won't even get started on how they are the same in name only.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

POW!-lah idk, my bff jill? is on a distinguished road

I live in a very small island in the Caribbean.
    Country
    Country Flag

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: 9/10.
    Hooray for the Nintendo Generation.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I'm currently readin Dostoevksy's 'The Idiot' which is being made into a movie next year according to IMDB.

*shudders*
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Mattrick, it was already made into a movie by Akira Kurosawa back in the 50's. Unfortunately it was not very good, and this is coming from someone who LOVES Kurosawa's work.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    Shutter island

8/10. The plot seemed fairly predictable and there were no surprises that i didn't see coming, however saying that i really want to watch it again (and again and again) due to the solid acting, the brilliant use of music and some sharp dialogue - the film elevated itself into something that will probably turn out to be one of my all time favourite movies.

and i must admit that
    Spoiler:
    the last line made tears come to my eyes

Leonardo is shaping up to be one of my favourite actors,
    I would give Shutter Island a 10. The craftsmanship that went into this film is superb. I had read the book beforehand, and I have to say that it made me appreciate the movie more the first time around than most, because I could understand everything that was going on. Scorsese took a decent thriller and turned it into a work of art. And if Leo doesn't win an Academy Award this year between this and Inception, i'm going to stop watching them.

The last movie i saw was Inland Empire, and I can't really rate it. All I can say is that it had a deep effect on me, and it's the scariest film I've ever seen.
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Mattrick, it was already made into a movie by Akira Kurosawa back in the 50's. Unfortunately it was not very good, and this is coming from someone who LOVES Kurosawa's work.
    Seems like it would be a tough book to adapt to screen.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Right, not one of Kurosawa's best.

Actually, Idiot has had lots of adaptations, including one by Georges Lampin (1946) with Gérard Philipe as Myshkin and Edwige Feuillère as Nastasia Philipovna; not a very good one anyway. There's also a number of Russian adaptations, some of them very good.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 441 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 119 ... LastLast