Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Graphic Novels

Gunslinger Apprentice darkwolf is on a distinguished road darkwolf's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sandman is what got me into the graphic novels, and what made me fall in love with the Vertigo imprint. So I'm probably going to be the millionth person to recommend Sandman, Y: The Last Man, Preacher, 100 Bullets, Pride of Baghdad, etc etc etc.

DC wise, I'll probably catch some heat for this, but I HATE superman, even though I'm quite familiar with his story, supporting characters, etc. There was one graphic novel that stood out though: Red Son. The deluxe edition is coming out November 17th, well worth your $17. Its about Superman landing in communist Russia instead of Smallville, and that's all I'll say about it. Phenomenal story-telling, and great art! Also another one that's been recommended a trillion times probably, The Dark Knight Returns. On top of that, Batman: Year One, Batman: Knightfall series, The Killing Joke, Watchmen (this one changed MY LIFE!).

From Image comics, I recommend Spawn, although I haven't read anything in ages, I started that series when it first came out. Awesome art, great dark stories and characters. Also, probably for the millionth time, The Walking Dead. I was recommended this and finally years later I finally started reading the collected TPB's. Great story, and apparently its going to be made into a TV show on AMC! Also, I saw that The Darkness was recommended, and I second, or third, or whatever that recommendation! Very dark, humorous, great art. Also look into Witchblade, for they tie in sometimes.

Marvel... Ah, Marvel... What got me into comics, and reading in general. I remember being a horrible reader in 1st-3rd grade, until my mom bought me a stack of comic books from a garage sale, all classic 80s Marvel titles. I instantly fell in love and improved in reading, and the teachers seemed to notice. By 5th grade, I had a high school reading level. Because of comics. But I digress. X-Men: Age of Apocalypse is awesome. So is the Dark Phoenix saga! The House of M series blew my mind, LOVED that!

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I know I've said it before, but I can't find it so here it is again.

Astro City. Check it out if you haven't. I'm rediscovering it myself and the stories are STILL great. It's a great read with compelling characters, interesting heroes, and a very unique twist to the superhero story. One of the best titles to have ever been printed.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Country
    Country Flag

I've just remembered Ex Machina by Brian K. Vaughan. Only read the first volume, but it was pretty damn good!

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

darkwolf - You've named some of my all time favorite GNs. There are a lot of Neil Gaiman fans here, and Sandman ( and Death ) are wonderful titles. Without a doubt.

Dark Phoenix is right at the top of my all time favorites list... right there with V for Vendetta.

I wish you'd been around when we did our Best Graphic Novel of All Time polls. We had a lot of fun with that ( pssst... Watchmen won ).

I've never been much of a Spawn fan, however. :shrugs:

I don't mind Superman.. but if I had to go for the true-red-white-and-blue... I'd go with Captain America. I love Cap.

Sam!! Where have you been, my partner in crime !!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Country
    Country Flag

You keeping up with the Dark Age story Pam? It's not Busiek's best, but it's still pretty good.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Does anyone else here read The Invisibles?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    darkwolf - You've named some of my all time favorite GNs. There are a lot of Neil Gaiman fans here, and Sandman ( and Death ) are wonderful titles. Without a doubt.
    That's great to know! I met Neil Gaiman a few years back at Temple University. He was doing a reading there. Awesome dude, very humble, gracious, and one of the nicest people you'd ever meet! I got him to sign my first volume of Sandman too!
    "The most important questions in life can never be answered by anyone except oneself." The Magus

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I have read some of those GNs. A bit of a mixed bag for me. Some of it seemed way pretentious but other times very interesting and fascinating.I haven't caught the last book yet.

Traveler Sol Invictus is on a distinguished road Sol Invictus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Top Graphic Novel Series

Top Three Series

"The Walking Dead" will blow your mind. Post-apocalyptic zombieland with very strong socio-cultural undertones and dialectic.

"The Sandman Series" is just beautiful. Can't be described any other way. A serious work of literary art!

"The Dark Tower Series" is very well done. Compliments to Robin Furth and Jae Lee! Kinda wish Lee stayed on through Fall of Gilead as lead artist though.

Top Three Non-Fiction

"The People's History of the American Empire" is standard. An abridged graphic version of his alternative epic, very well done.

"Palestine" is raw and emotional but as critical as an Op. Ed. Really makes you reconsider the Middle East conflict.

"Persepolis" should be read in High Schools. Mainly same comments above.

Top Three Graphic Novels

"Watchmen". There's enough comments on the web for this. Wonderful piece of moral relativist lit.

"Black Hole" is beautiful. Feels like Alice in Wonderland for our century.

"The Cat with the Really Big Head"...fucking priceless!

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    You migt have known about my love for this series before. Also, there's a book about it coming out called "Our Sentence Is UP". it's kinda like Grant Morrison: The Early Years, except focusing in the Invisibles. And, there's a Grant Morrison doc in th
    Spoiler:
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Invictus View Post
    Top Three Series
    "Black Hole" is beautiful. Feels like Alice in Wonderland for our century.
    Read this last week, loved it. How does it feel like Alice in Wonderland?
    "The most important questions in life can never be answered by anyone except oneself." The Magus

Traveler MasterRanger is on a distinguished road

Default Caliber graphic novel

Has anyone seen this? http://www.radicalcomics.com/titles/books/caliber-vol-1

Seems strangely familiar. Is this associated with the DT stories? Seems not to be. If not, it looks obviously inspired by it IMO.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Whoa whoa whoa, WHAAAAT?

Can anyone say RIP OFF ?!?!?!

------

Synopsis

From visionary writer Sam Sarkar comes a stunning reinvention of the Arthurian legend where the might of the Round Table rides the Old West with guns blazing.

In the far reaches of the Old Pacific Northwest lies a world where lawlessness runs rampant and only a mystical six-shooter forged from the metal of the legendary Excalibur can balance the scales.

With Caliber in hand and posse at his side, Arthur must fulfill his destiny as the Lawbringer to defeat evil and restore order to his home.

Soon to be a major motion picture to be produced by Johnny Depp's production company Infinitum Nihil and Radical Pictures.

"With a great story and great art, Caliber is one of the best books i've read in a while."- Express Times

Traveler MasterRanger is on a distinguished road

Default Dugg already

I went to put this on the social news site Digg.com and someone beat me to it:

http://digg.com/arts_culture/Caliber..._Justice_Vol_1

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

To be fair it seems just a retelling of the Arthurian legend except in Western form. The Dark Tower was certainly not that, although it had stuff in common, like the quest etc. Arthur to Roland was an ancestor, i.e history.

The only similarity I can see so far (apart from the Western genre) is the idea of the revolvers forged from Excalibur. And that was something introduced late in the Dark Tower series. It wasn't really intrinsic to the story at all.

Novels spoilers:
    Spoiler:
    They provided a key to the Tower at the end, just as the sword in the stone (in some versions of the legend) was the key to Arthurs kingship,) but through much of the story we just knew they were special as heirlooms but they didn't seem to be anything other than guns. And apart from the special properties mentioned, that's pretty much all they were. Even Walter was able to use his magic to evade them.

If they're just translating the Arthurian legends to western, it's quite possible they came to the idea of sword to gun independently. Of course, you'd think that with a basic retelling the Excalibur guns would have been created that way from the start rather from a melted down sword (after all if this character is Arthur, who had the original sword in that world?) so that idea itself is a little suspect but not really proof of a rip off.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

To me, the banner on the website definitely reminds me DT.
    Doesnt the woman seem to be sitting?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Seems a little too similar to me. Suspiciously so. But, meh. Who cares? If it's good, it's good. It still can't be better than the DT.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I've read this and it honestly didn't seem anything like TDT at all. I bought it on a whim and ended up trading it in because art seemed too digital

Along the Path of the Beam TheCrisisKing is on a distinguished road TheCrisisKing's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If you guys want a cool look at a superhero, checkout Old Man Logan by Mark Millar (writer of Kick Ass and Wanted) which is about a old and gritty Wolverine. Another book also from Millar that you should read is Marvel 1985, which is about Marvel villans escaping to the real world and going nuts.

But the best book of all time, better than Watchmen in my opinion, is Millar's American Jesus. It's the story of the return of Christ as he reflects on his childhood. It has an insane twist and is just awesome
    "Come on, lets face it. At what point or another, we all wanted to be a superhero

Goldmember RIsanove is on a distinguished road

There are some comics I find myself re-reading regularly and never get tired of:
    "Batman: Year One", "Y: the last man" and "Preacher" of course.
    "The Ultimates" 1 and 2 by Millar and Hitch.
    "Criminal" by Brubaker and Phillips.
    The "Alias" series by Bendis and Gaydos.
    "Stray Bullets" by Lapham (just wish he'd finish it already)
    "Lieutenent Blueberry" by Charlier and (Moebius) Giraud
    "The Death Notes" by Ohba and Obata.
    and a little gem of a graphic novel "Scene of a crime: A little piece of Goodnight" by Brubaker and Lark.

Country
    Country Flag

All of the Marvel stories you mentioned are on my regularly read list, and I believe "Alias" is one of the best written graphic works that I have ever read. Also on that list are the "Astro City" stories (all of them), the Garth Ennis run on "The Punisher" MAX series, "The Boys" (just for the fun of it if nothing else), and Bendis's "Powers" series. I haven't read "Stray Bullets" but have heard good things about it. I've read several of "Y: the last man" and really want to read the rest of them. Maybe some day soon.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I'm currently building my Y The Last Man GN collection. They keep coming out with those darned "deluxe" hardcovers!!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

DMZ and Scalped are two ongoing series I think everyone should read. DMZ is already at collection #7 and Scalped just came out with #6. It's not sci-fi, it's not about magic, it's not some bizzaro super-hero stuff Warren Ellis would write. It's about things that very well could happen.

Rex Mundi recently wrapped up. It's about Europe if Catholic church and inqusition were still the leading power. It's happening between two World Wars. Interesting stuff for sure.

Battlefields by Ennis, Northlanders by Brian Wood, Gravel by Ellis, Air (name slipped my mind), Ex Machina and Madame Xanadu are some other ongoing comics I'm into that are already collected in trades.

I'm also a big fan of Star Wars comics and GNs. Pretty much every series about SW is ace while one shot trades (so anywhere between 4 to 6 comics collected) are hit and miss.

Check out Loveless by Azzarello if you like your westerns bloody as hell.

And yeah... add DMZ and Scalped to your shelves. It's absolutely GREAT stuff.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I started collecting DMZ , but I became very bored with it by around Vol 4 and I stopped reading the series altogether. Right now I'm too occupied with Morrison's The Invisibles and Ellis's Preacher novels to bother going back to it. I think I'll eventually pick up where I left off .... maybe ...

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sit back and here we go( BTW lots of Batman. What can I say he has good books)

Planet Hulk
    Kingdom Come
    Preacher
    Fables
    Y The Last Man
    Scott Pilgrim (check Magna section)
    Marvel Zombies
    Marvel Zombie vs Army of Darkness
    Identity Crisis
    The Walking Dead
    Irredemable by Mark Waid
    Wanted
    Batman: Hush
    Batman: The Killing Joke
    Runaways
    Batman: The Long Halloween
    Batman: Dark Victory
    Batman: RIP
    The Dark Knight Returns
    The Dark Knight Strikes Back
    Green Lantern Rebirth
    Infinite Crisis
    Countdown
    Final Crisis
    Sinestro Corps War
    Invincible
    Civil War
    House Of M
    New Avengers
    Marvel 1602
    Death and Return of Superman
    Flash Rebirth
    The Flash Rougue War
    (Pretty much anything written by Geoff Johns)
    Justice
    Kick-Ass

and thats all.......for now
    If you love me then love me..

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast