Thread: Discordia: The Dark Tower Game

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

45 !!! 45 ?!??!!!!!

Amazing! Well done! Well done!!

How many targets are displayed total?

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineB View Post
    I am sorry but I have to agree this really doesn't qualify as a game. It is beautiful as far as graphics go, but as to anything resembling game play it is rather lacking. Maybe it is just my definition of a game, but I don't consider hovering a mouse over every millimeter of the screen game play. It is nice for a kind of puzzle with great things to find relating to The Dark Tower, but a game it is not... as of yet.

I would consider the shooting range to be a game of sorts, although very basic.

Well I got into the pantry and after making myself sea sick with the mouse going back and forth over the whole room twice now, I can't seem to find the way to the next area. Anyone want to help a sea sick player out of this room?
    Is it possible it doesn't feel like a game because it's just the first chapter? To me, it feels completely like a game.

It's the prep/first stage - you run around, find items and information you're going to need later in the gameplay.

To me, a good game unfolds with a good story and something that draws you in. At this point, Discordia is a seek and find type of game.

Oh and
    pantry

Good luck !
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Gunslinger Apprentice JameseyLefebure is on a distinguished road JameseyLefebure's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hey this is my first post - i've just signed up after playing that AMAZING first chapter of Discordia!!
    I had absolutely no idea what to expect from it and would never have in a million years thought of that game - it's amazing!!
    I'm currently re-reading the Dark Tower books and am half way through Wizard and Glass, this has just whet my appitite to hurry up and get through to 6+7!!

Does anyone happen to have any idea's of when the next chapter is coming out?

Jamesey
    xxx

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love the graphics, but like one person said...a few hours and only a few items. I can't devote that effort. It's not about getting "better" at something like the shooting gallery--I could do that--but the mouse hovering is just a patience thing.

I was really hoping it would be something different. I'll visit the game and take a few minutes to stab at it, but it's not gonna be my things. Sorry guys.

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Okay, so I found my way to another area...

I still am not totally stoked about the game, but I will say that after spending a week at the Doubletree Guest Suites in Times Square, I'm totally spuzzed to see this little piece of artwork in the game!!!

It's quite recognizable to us.

Traveler lm3440324 is on a distinguished road

Default Can't Wait

Couldn't stop when I found it online on Monday evening and finished in about an hour. The details are great for the fans especially the
    Spoiler:
    todash chimes at the end of the Fedic door!

Traveler GAWD Bomb! is on a distinguished road GAWD Bomb!'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Really enjoyed the game. More soon please? Say thankee, say GAWD BOMB!

Traveler Eldamar is on a distinguished road

Another hour spent and nothing beyond what the first four hours on this game have gottne me. I for one want to follow it for the story much more then having to drag my mouse pointer over screen after screen hoping for something to be highlighted. I am afraid that this "game" has started to loose all interest for me which for being part of the Dark Tower I find disturbing.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree it was a slow start for me, too, but partly because I was checking out the graphics. It took me a while to realize that there were a few items per room (and some have none) as opposed to finding everything in the dining room and getting a new "list" later. After that, once I found something and finished checking out all the nuances in the graphics, I moved on to the next room.

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Traveler Eldamar is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by gsvec View Post
    I agree it was a slow start for me, too, but partly because I was checking out the graphics. It took me a while to realize that there were a few items per room (and some have none) as opposed to finding everything in the dining room and getting a new "list" later. After that, once I found something and finished checking out all the nuances in the graphics, I moved on to the next room.
    Maybe I just donthave the patience but I just spend about 90 more minutes going over each room and even restarting the game to make sure I wasnt bugged and even with 1 hint I found I still have not been able to find anythign else.

I read King for the story, especially The Dark Tower, not to hunt and peck thru graphics hoping for soemthign to flash, and that was how I hoped to be able to enjoy this but that joy has already left me

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeedfulKings View Post

I was really hoping it would be something different. I'll visit the game and take a few minutes to stab at it, but it's not gonna be my things. Sorry guys.
    I appreciate your honesty, Bill.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Traveler Adryn is on a distinguished road

I think that perhaps some folks have forgot the mission briefing. go to fedic, explore castle discoria PUT DOWN ANYTHING THAT MOVES.
    This first chapter was just setting the scene and getting the ball rolling.
    Keeping that in mind i'm totally stoked with the game.

Though admittadly i'm a long time myst fan and so very used to this playstlye, i guess it could be frustrating to those unfamiliar with it.

Every piece of art work was pixel perfect amasing but if i had to choose some thing i was disappointed with it would be the length. As i mention above, being familiar with this kind of set up ment i was done inside an hour.

My Mood
    Gay

Hey All - yeah, I understand that if you're not a gamer, this might seem a little "slow" maybe. I guess all things aren't for everyone.

To me though, it's about perfect. The details have really pulled me in. ( Yes!! I agree with Bill on that - I love that painting. And the other artwork on the walls, the names on the items in the pantry, etc - just wonderful. )

I would strongly suggest reading all the journal entries, etc. They truly add to the story and help to draw you into the world being presented... and yes, do not forget - you're on a mission!

An interesting point being made above, you do have to have patience with some games. Not everything ( thank goodness ) is a shoot'em-up, or a run-n-gun, or an obstacle course. Right now, we're in the hide-n-seek portion, and I'm loving it.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Gunslinger Apprentice Can-Tina is on a distinguished road Can-Tina's Avatar

Default Negative Feedback

I just wanted to stop by and say thank you to those few who have posted *negative* responses to Discordia. It would have been easier to just move on and not share your thoughts. Thank you. We'll be opening a thread for: "Make Discordia Better" on SK.com soon. Please stop by and help us to get the game to the level it needs to be.

With that said, it really needs to be noted that Discordia is an evolving platform. When and if we get the green light on further chapters, users will find that chapter one was more of an exploratory venture. This whole thing is kind of one big test to gage interests and appreciation.

I can assure everyone that the next chapters will pretty much blow your mind. While we intended to honor the "myst" game style throughout Discordia, we plan to introduce set pieces and action sequences that will rival the big boy games. (Were looking to create a killer fatality system too. (Think 300 meets Fallout 3)

We also understand that the length was a bit short. No disputing that. The 3D artwork within Chapter One was soooo unbelievably complex to create that there was simply no choice. We had to cut it off at the door to Fedic.

As an example... One clip from a video sequence takes dozens of hours to render once it has been created. (On an insanely fast, 16 core workstation). This really needs to be kept in mind as we go forth. We are working on the absolute bleeding edge of 3D technology and its *very* time consuming to create the detailed organic objects and shaders that are featured in Discordia. And then we have to render them. Which sucks big time.

IMO, we started out last year in the "Pong Era" with the Office. Discordia (Chap 1) has upped the bar at least to Coleco Vision or Nintendo era. Right?

If green lighted, Chapter 2 will continue that evolution until I am satisfied that we have built a viable game engine and tech pipeline based on flash and flash video. Lets hope for Playstation 2 era gameplay or more in the next chapter.

The other thing that concerns me greatly is the use of the image panner. That tech does not seem long for the world. Right? Sometimes it even makes me a bit queezy. (And I had to build the damn thing.) So we will be attacking that issue head on immeditiaely. Even right now. I am rendering a video that would be considered a 360 POV video of the kitchen. This type of tech would replace the current 2D POV image panners. As soon as we have created a new proof of theory on that, you guys will be the first to see it. (Outside the focus group of course.)

It should also be noted that we also plan to finally move from A - B in a full motion video sense in the coming chapters. This has been a thorn in our side since we built The Office and hopefully we'll nail that issue to the wall now that render time is a much smaller issue. (were rendering 700% faster this year over last year.)

Bottom line, we on a long evolutionary road. If we continue, its gong to be insane. Stick with us. You wont be sorry.

To everyone that *is* feelin' chapter one, thank you for the many kind words. We really appreciate it after so much hard work.

My Mood
    Gay

Thank you, Brian !!

Hey, and who do we talk to in order to make sure we do get a Chapter Two ???!!!!

I would post comments on the Discordia thread on Sk.com's MB.

http://www.stephenking.com/forums/sh...ight=discordia

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the explanations. I do plan to hang in there, loosely and see what evolves. I guess you could say that I'm a gamer as well, including games like Myst, Doom, any number of Nintendo games, etc. A lot of the time, I prefer to be a doer, not a thinker. It sounds like Discordia will begin merging those two if we start getting action sequences, etc.

When you re-enter the game, it takes you through the panning sequence for each room. I love the graphics, but it slows things down.

The detail is great and as I'm looking at each room, I am thinking of the story. I enjoy the journal entries. So cool!!!

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wanted to say I LOVED Discordia. I thought the graphics were immense and it really played tribute to Dark Tower. All this and amazingly it's free!

Traveler Myxis is on a distinguished road

I would like to say a lot about the game, but from the first few seconds, I was speechless. The Dixie Pig is exactly as I pictured it, and that was amazing. Thanks for all the time and effort you are putting into making this the best -and- truest visualization any of us could hope to see.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

do what you do best brian, i'm behind you! haha
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Perhaps to quell some of the negative comments some action should have been inserted before the end of Chapter 1. I still haven't played the full chapter, just the preview, but if it's all like that, I can understand how some people would feel let down, if they were expecting some action to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Perhaps to quell some of the negative comments some action should have been inserted before the end of Chapter 1. I still haven't played the full chapter, just the preview, but if it's all like that, I can understand how some people would feel let down, if they were expecting some action to happen.
    I think your right. That might have been the missing ingredient. Although our story does not include gun fights to that point.

I guess we were hoping that the gun range would satisfy that need for now. I don't think it does. At least not for me. If you've read the journal entries, you can get an idea of where our first gun fight might happen if we continue on. But that's all I'm saying for now.
    Spoiler:
    (Not sure if you've seen "King of New York." But here's a quote from Larry Fishburn that might give you an idea. "ROOM SERVICE MUTHA FUCKAS!")

I also really want to stress that gunfights are not a huge part of Discordia. We're trying to create an immersive experience unlike anythings else. A true convergence of an intellectual concept game with high adventure set pieces along the way. Who knows what to call it?! But please don't expect pointless shooting. Its always going to matter to the story. And there will be times that you can show mercy and make moral decisions without shedding blood. It will be up to you.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I for one think it is great. And have just seen a screen capture listing our names in the credits...that too is cool as all get out! Thanks for the chance to play this in preview mode. I'll no doubt be a regular "player"

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Can-Tina View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I think your right. That might have been the missing ingredient. Although our story does not include gun fights to that point.

I guess we were hoping that the gun range would satisfy that need for now. I don't think it does. At least not for me. If you've read the journal entries, you can get an idea of where our first gun fight might happen if we continue on. But that's all I'm saying for now.
    Spoiler:
    (Not sure if you've seen "King of New York." But here's a quote from Larry Fishburn that might give you an idea. "ROOM SERVICE MUTHA FUCKAS!")

I also really want to stress that gunfights are not a huge part of Discordia. We're trying to create an immersive experience unlike anythings else. A true convergence of an intellectual concept game with high adventure set pieces along the way. Who knows what to call it?! But please don't expect pointless shooting. Its always going to matter to the story. And there will be times that you can show mercy and make moral decisions without shedding blood. It will be up to you.
    What is this mercy thing of which you speak?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Adryn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristineB View Post

I am sorry but I have to agree this really doesn't qualify as a game. It is beautiful as far as graphics go, but as to anything resembling game play it is rather lacking. Maybe it is just my definition of a game, but I don't consider hovering a mouse over every millimeter of the screen game play. It is nice for a kind of puzzle with great things to find relating to The Dark Tower, but a game it is not... as of yet.

I would consider the shooting range to be a game of sorts, although very basic.

Well I got into the pantry and after making myself sea sick with the mouse going back and forth over the whole room twice now, I can't seem to find the way to the next area. Anyone want to help a sea sick player out of this room?
    then i direct you to the myst series of games. Discordia's playstyle is very similar to myst which was and still is one of the most popular, world reknown games ever made.
    I have to say I never got into Myst, however, from what I remember it was not quite this difficult to find things in Myst as it has been in this game. The things I have found didn't look any different in the sceen then anything else, making it not a test of the mind but a test of the patience of running a mouse over every square milimeter of the screen in hopes of finding that one tiny spot that shows you what you are looking for. I spent about 7 hours total doing this to find the 4 things in the first rooms. Sorry but a game should be engaging in some way and this is just not that engaging. Yes I get to look at the wonderful graphics that tie into TDT story but how long can you look at a disevelled room even with excellent graphics before it is just another room?

Yes the graphics are amazing I will give you that, maybe in the future you should take some of that time spent on the overall graphics and spend it adding more things to find and let the overall graphics be just a bit less good. People won't notice the difference and may enjoy the experience more.

I know there is no real comparison here, but I keep thinking of Dark and Light.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

So far today I located Father Callahan, and the skolpadda.
    It is getting harder to spot things, I may have to agree with the
    above assesment now.still I am playing tho'. What does this
    say about my addiction to games on line?

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast