Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 176 of 188 FirstFirst ... 76 126 166 174 175 176 177 178 186 ... LastLast
Results 4,376 to 4,400 of 4697

Thread: General Television Discussion

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Little help? Where would I look to find Season 5 of "Better Call Saul"???

1-4 are on, Netflix but darned if I can find S5. Apparently. Season 6 premieres soon on "FX or AMC" or w/e. lol Thanks for any info you can relay.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

They typically release the last season before the new one airs like 1-2 weeks prior (which drives me absolutely crazy because that means I have to binge to catch up).

So whatever date S6 airs, start looking for S5 on Netflix 1-2 weeks before...

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    They typically release the last season before the new one airs like 1-2 weeks prior (which drives me absolutely crazy because that means I have to binge to catch up).

Huh, you're absolutely right that is a crazy procedure and it woud drive ya crazy!! lol Thx mucho for the info!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post

Sick bastards!!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, I'll likely get blasted for this post but its something that has irked me lately and I need to get off my chest. This is not intended to be a slight, misrepresentation or insult in any way shape or form. I from a different generation so I guess a different set of Mores and taboo's apply. I understand that and for the most part I endorse change.

However, has anyone noticed that TV programmers have gone a little over the top representing the LGBTQ community? I mean I realize they were ignored and considered "Taboo" in the past and deserve inclusion now a days but, it seems like they are actually trying to offer reparations via TV show content. I'm retired and disabled and as a result I suppose I watch WAY too much TV. It sure seems though, to me anyway, that every show now represents the LGBTQ community and to a very high level of accuracy with very mature content. I mean LGBTQ community is still a minority community in the overall population yet virtually every new show these days has LGBTQ content. I mean that can't be an accurate representation of their culture can it? According to the web the community represents less than 5% of the overall population. With that in mind what's the deal with the content saturation? It seems so obvious as well which makes me wonder if the community really approves of the "content reparations" Hollywood is conducting. it's the same with, African Americans. They appear to be going over the top imho.

Please, I'm not a racist and I endorse proper representation for all races, creeds, cultures and community's. I'm just saying let's be a little more accurate, no? Please, I'm hoping for a little honest discussion and not just folks screaming "Cancel Bill" or what a fucking racist you think I am. I'm many things (good and BAD) but I'm not a racist. It just seems to be getting a little way too obvious and frankly, annoying, Perhaps, it's just an "Old Fart" talking but I really do try to be inclusive of everyone. I just think its a little crazy to right past wrongs with right minded content delivered in dump trucks!! lol

I really want to hear your thoughts and insights on the matter. I apologize if this is offensive to anyone it is certainly not intended that way. I'm just a 63 yr old, white and straight (42 yr marriage) old fart from N.Y. Maybe I just need to change the channel. lol Though it seems that every channel is doing the same (including and maybe especially the streaming svcs). Speaking of which, aren't there actual dedicated channels for such explicit content aimed at those communities? Pretty sure I've seen them in my DTV guide. Well, here goes.............................................. .................................................. ..........Let the replies fly!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

As someone who's part of the LGBTQ community, I always welcome the representation. As you mention, these types of characters were always either completely taboo on TV or had to be done only as hints or insinuations. Worst of all, was when we were portrayed as the butt of jokes, or worse yet, predators. So I suppose new we're catching up to decades of solely heteronormative representation, so a bit of over-representation is to be expected. Plus, the community is not as small as you said. Over 7% of all Americans now identity as LGBTQ, 10.5% of millennials (my generation), and 21% of Gen Z: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...up-poll-survey America is much more queer now than it's ever been, because the younger generations (people 40 and under) have now had positive representation in media and are not staying in the closet as much. As far as this type of representation being "explicit", I must push back against this. Relationships between heterosexual men and women are portrayed in explicit ways in many TV shows, including showing people kissing and having full-frontal sex scenes. If the show is properly rated TV-MA, there shouldn't be any issue. If the queer folks are just shown hugging and kissing, is that any different than TV mom and dad smooching on an ABC sitcom?

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Okay, I'll likely get blasted for this post but its something that has irked me lately and I need to get off my chest. This is not intended to be a slight, misrepresentation or insult in any way shape or form. I from a different generation so I guess a different set of Mores and taboo's apply. I understand that and for the most part I endorse change.

However, has anyone noticed that TV programmers have gone a little over the top representing the LGBTQ community? I mean I realize they were ignored and considered "Taboo" in the past and deserve inclusion now a days but, it seems like they are actually trying to offer reparations via TV show content. I'm retired and disabled and as a result I suppose I watch WAY too much TV. It sure seems though, to me anyway, that every show now represents the LGBTQ community and to a very high level of accuracy with very mature content. I mean LGBTQ community is still a minority community in the overall population yet virtually every new show these days has LGBTQ content. I mean that can't be an accurate representation of their culture can it? According to the web the community represents less than 5% of the overall population. With that in mind what's the deal with the content saturation? It seems so obvious as well which makes me wonder if the community really approves of the "content reparations" Hollywood is conducting. it's the same with, African Americans. They appear to be going over the top imho.

Please, I'm not a racist and I endorse proper representation for all races, creeds, cultures and community's. I'm just saying let's be a little more accurate, no? Please, I'm hoping for a little honest discussion and not just folks screaming "Cancel Bill" or what a fucking racist you think I am. I'm many things (good and BAD) but I'm not a racist. It just seems to be getting a little way too obvious and frankly, annoying, Perhaps, it's just an "Old Fart" talking but I really do try to be inclusive of everyone. I just think its a little crazy to right past wrongs with right minded content delivered in dump trucks!! lol

I really want to hear your thoughts and insights on the matter. I apologize if this is offensive to anyone it is certainly not intended that way. I'm just a 63 yr old, white and straight (42 yr marriage) old fart from N.Y. Maybe I just need to change the channel. lol Though it seems that every channel is doing the same (including and maybe especially the streaming svcs). Speaking of which, aren't there actual dedicated channels for such explicit content aimed at those communities? Pretty sure I've seen them in my DTV guide. Well, here goes.............................................. .................................................. ..........Let the replies fly!!!
    I don't watch any local TV and would need specifics on which shows you are referring to. What drives me over the edge is when woke Hollywood takes an established icon, like the new Amazon Lord of the Rings, Wheel of Time, The Batman, etc, and has to throw their agenda in it as it alienates fans and causes disdain for the movies and shows. Entertainment is for entertainment, and there is no need to push agendas in entertainment when we have enough of that in politics. Entertainment is to get away from the cancer of society, not see it 24/7. Don't ruin the lore and content! If Hollywood wants to push their ideals, then make up their own stories and put whomever they want in it regardless of ethnicity or sexual preference. Instead, they butcher iconic stories for "their message" and it fails miserably.
    The Critical Drinker and Nerdrotic on censorship Youtube explain it very well.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Bill, firstly, I’m not going to blast you for speaking your mind.

Secondly, things will normalize over time. LGBTQ+ Characters may be over represented now, but the pendulum will swing back, and likely to a point much better than before.

Thirdly, I don’t think this overrepresentation is hurting anybody. I don’t think that seeing LGBTQ+ characters in media, even if you don’t knowingly have contact with LGBTQ+ people in real life, is a bad thing. In fact, I think it’s a good thing.

Fourthly, overrepresentation is much better than underrepresentation. I have a real-life anecdote about that, if you’re interested, but I’m sure others have more relevant ones, and I don’t want to get too preachy.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

My own taste: if any element (could be representation, could be "tacked on love interest", could be "this guy fancies himself Hitchcock") feels like it was mailed in, an afterthought, or overused in such a way as to distort or ruin the main story's potential, I won't like it (but, as I've emphasized, it could be anything).

But in general: it only makes sense that the artistic ecosystem flourish - vibrantly and aggressively - with anything that had been squashed before (the opposite of shame and fear is opening wide and giving the biggest yell you can).
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Acting was also historically minimized as a profession, and therefore given over to marginalized groups. It is pretty ironic for the cultural mainstream to notice that showbusiness (which the cultural mainstream refused to take seriously for centuries) especially represents minorities (whom the cultural mainstream blocked from other employment for umpteen generations.)

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

REDACTED

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As a 65 year old gay man who has been with the same man for 35 years all I can say is that it's about damned time we homos got more representation that is not akin to the blackface step-and-fetch-it representation that African Americans received in the past.

Bill, I am confused about your statement "It sure seems though, to me anyway, that every show now represents the LGBTQ community and to a very high level of accuracy with very mature content." Does it bother you simply because it involves gay people? There is no shortage of mature content involving non-gay characters. If you are simply bothered by sex on television why single out gay sex?

Your comments remind me of my father back when black people started showing up more in television, not for comic relief, but as main characters in shows and movies. But my father was a racist till the day he died.

Also, I absolutely CANNOT believe I am older than you. Thought you were much older!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Look some of the above comments went way beyond the scope of what I was talking about. I support gay rights and I don't give a shit about what two or more consenting adults do in their bedroom. I fully endorse proper representation of LGBTQ characters integrated into TV shows just like, African American, Latino, Deaf etc. cultures. It's a complex world out there and the complexities should be illustrated(?) the TV stories. Although the lack of their display I would hope wouldn't lead anyone to suicide (really?)

And while, to answer a question, I don't mind "gay sex" being represented its not my favorite scene, no. Mt main beef is that I don't appreciate it being rammed down my throat. It's blatantly obvious and in my opinion disrespects the culture. I guess I don't agree with the "Lets even the score" approach. Bring it in more naturally so that its not taking away from the story but becoming a part of like the rest of the diverse world if that makes sense.

They don't need to modify our diverse set of cultures into something resembling the "4 major food groups" and take a tally before releasing a show or film. To me, that's just shitty writing and straight up pandering. As to the other comments referring to African Americans, I have no issue there either though I do think that hollywood has kinda done them wrong when you consider the inordinate (IMHO) amount of those shows that portray them as drug dealers. Although the silver lining might be that the Italians get a break in that department! lol lol

Bottom line I fully endorse the inclusion of diversity on tv just do it naturally and don't rub my face in it is all I'm saying. Something wrong with that? I think I'm more receptive to change than alot of other folks in my age group that lived through the 2 beds for married couples age. lol You know, like the "Dick Van Dyke" show. lol

As far as age goes I'm right behind you!! lol lol In either case it sucks getting old don't it? lol lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Mt main beef is that I don't appreciate it being rammed down my throat.
    Bottom line I fully endorse the inclusion of diversity on tv just do it naturally and don't rub my face in it is all I'm saying.
    Do you have examples of this?

I watch TV shows and movies all the time and some have gay characters in them and some don't. I've never felt they were forced into the story lines though. They were just characters on the show or in the movie that happened to be gay.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

Bill, when you say things like "rammed down my throat" and "don't rub my face in it", what do you mean? Can you share some examples of TV shows that did that, and what was it that you took as that? Not attacking your words, I'm just curious what you mean by that specifically.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

REDACTED

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Bill, when you say things like "rammed down my throat" and "don't rub my face in it", what do you mean? Can you share some examples of TV shows that did that, and what was it that you took as that? Not attacking your words, I'm just curious what you mean by that specifically.
    I'd have to go back and check. I think it was new show on Appletv or Netflix that really set me off because I felt like it took a lot away from the story line JMHO. To quote, Arnold "I'll be back"

Edit:. Okay, it was the Netflix show, "What If" . It seemed a bit over the top to me. Almost porn IMHO Then again maybe I'm just an old fart. lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm just glad the Academy has finally realized in recent years that we Latinos have a lot to contribute to cinema beyond playing janitors or gang bangers in movies.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    The Critical Drinker and Nerdrotic on censorship Youtube explain it very well.
    I have watched many of their videos in the past, and many videos of YouTubers with contrary opinions. This could become a complicated debate if we went into all of the issues.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Acting is acting.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Should gay actors only play gay roles?
    No.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

By chance, anyone watch, "AppleTV'? Pretty good programming for the most part. There's "Foundation" based on the, Asimov series of books. "Invasion" a Sci-Fi thriller. Also, "Wework" which is based on a true story. And a particularly quirky and cool show called "Severance". Basically the premise is that of workers who choose to have their memories augmented with a chip such that your work self knows nothing of your life outside of work and vice versa. Throw in that the job itself is a mystery and you have a show that you're unsure just what is happening but, can't look away!!

Season finale is on the 8th. Give it a try if you have access to, AppleTV.. Apple also has, Ted Lasso and "The Morning Show" with, Jennifer Aniston and Reece Weatherspoon, Some solid programming IMHO. Better than most IMHO.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm looking for a new TV series to get into (preferably something recent and only a season or two). Something binge-worthy and suspenseful like The Undoing, but also open to cool sci-fi and horror suggestions. I have Netflix, HBO, Showtime, and regular cable channels, so if anyone has any recommendations, let me know!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I'm looking for a new TV series to get into (preferably something recent and only a season or two). Something binge-worthy and suspenseful like The Undoing, but also open to cool sci-fi and horror suggestions. I have Netflix, HBO, Showtime, and regular cable channels, so if anyone has any recommendations, let me know!
    From is currently ongoing, an episode a week, and it is slow moving but interesting horror. Not sure where it is going though.
    Billions has lost its luster seasons ago so don't waste your time.
    Halo just started but if you liked the game, I feel this is loosely based on it and I am not a fan of it at all.
    Moon Knight just started, one episode of 6, and it seems OK. Oscar Isaac Isaac Oscar does an amazing job thus far.
    Off the top of my head, From is the only thing worth watching at the moment.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

+ Reply to Thread
Page 176 of 188 FirstFirst ... 76 126 166 174 175 176 177 178 186 ... LastLast