Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
Re: The Folio books: Here's a curious thing:

I was reading a wired.co.uk article on the new Lovecraft editions (http://www.wired.co.uk/article/cthul...s-hp-lovecraft) and noticed that they mentioned the prices in GBP as "£75 and £345 respectively". And, if you log into the UK Folio site, those prices are confirmed. Even my atrocious math- and vague sense of international currency adjustment rates- set off my spidey senses. As of yesterday, that equals about $448 for the limited and $97 for the regular edition. Yet the US site lists the books as $575 and $120, respectively. That's a pretty significant bump on the limited. I wrote them and they basically said, 'yeah- we mark up the books for the US market because we eat a lot on shipping and insurance'. That may be true, but, I buy a lot of PS books, and SST books, and Tolkien HarperCollins books- and I've never experienced a mark up because it was going to the US..
Yeah, FS is known for doing this to a few (at least) countries; FS addicts don't like it and have occasionally lobbied for FS to find a way around it, but as yet to no avail.