Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Avatar

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    I think I watched the first one once. Barely remember it. Never understood the huge hype for it.
    Watching the first one in 3D was an incredible experience. The story was derivative as hell but the visuals... damn.

I'll probably end up watching this one in theaters but it won't be weekend 1. I'll wait until 3rd or 4th weekend.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Some great first reactions:

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/a...ce-1235451389/
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ns-1235276522/

Got my tickets for the 18th in Dolby Cinema, no 3D for me. Sadly no IMAX 2D anywhere,

Country
    Country Flag

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post

Got my tickets for the 18th in Dolby Cinema, no 3D for me. Sadly no IMAX 2D anywhere,
    Not a 3D fan? I found the first one to be the most amazing 3D I ever seen...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Got my tickets for the 17th - can't wait!
    Will be an Imax-3D experience.
    Not sure about the hfr, but as the recent re-release also was shown in this format, which truthfully I barely noticed () it should be an amazing experience.

sk

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Avatar is a cool visually. And THATS it. I really wanted more… interesting to hear others thoughts
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Avatar is a cool visually. And THATS it. I really wanted more… interesting to hear others thoughts
    I'm seeing it Sunday! Can't wait. Just rewatched the extended edition of the original and it more than holds up, still an emotional and beautiful film!

Country
    Country Flag

I'm seeing it Sunday! Can't wait. Just rewatched the extended edition of the original and it more than holds up, still an emotional and beautiful film!
    The first is FAR better. I really did not expect James to let us down in the sequel territory.. BUT there will not be anymore Avatars as I suspect this won't turn a profit. ITs ok... but thats it.. just ok.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

BUT there will not be anymore Avatars as I suspect this won't turn a profit.
    There will be. And it will. Don't forget, the budget of The Way of Water was around $350/500 mil. Will easily make a profit.
    Besides, Avtar 3 has practically been filmed already.

sk

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It will make a profit, the question is how much profit. Remember it essentially needs to land in the top 5 grossing films of all time for it to turn a significant profit.

Cameron has stated that if Avatar 2 doesn't turn out to be the smashing success he hopes for, he'll explore 'other possibilities' for Avatars 3 and up. Possibly a TV show or such...

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    BUT there will not be anymore Avatars as I suspect this won't turn a profit.
    There will be. And it will. Don't forget, the budget of The Way of Water was around $350/500 mil. Will easily make a profit.
    Besides, Avtar 3 has practically been filmed already.

sk
    It was stated that Way of Water needs to hit 2 billion to make money.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Here is the article where he says what it needs to do to make $

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/a...it-1235438907/
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Here is the article where he says what it needs to do to make $

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/a...it-1235438907/
    That's actually not true, that's a headline made from Cameron speaking out of his butt. He's a filmmaker, not a finance person. It does not need to make $2 billion to make a profit.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Exactly.

"My film needs to make $2 billion to turn a profit, or you won't see Avatar 3"

Translation: "I need my film to break all box office records because my ego requires it"

This is James Cameron, after all. He put Avatar back into theaters just to regain the top box-office spot from Endgame.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Does anyone really care about Avatar sequels tho? Haven't met a single person that said "man, I wish they'd hurry up with Avatar 2 already!"
    https://variety.com/2023/film/news/a...ce-1235498281/
    After just six weeks of release, James Cameron’s blockbuster sequel “Avatar: The Way of Water” has surpassed $2 billion in global ticket sales. It’s the sixth film in history — and first in pandemic times — to cross the coveted milestone, joining an exclusive club that includes Avatar,” “Avengers: Endgame,” “Titanic,” “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” and “Avengers: Infinity War.”

Now, Cameron is responsible for three of the six-highest grossing movies of all time. He’s also the only director with three films to cross $2 billion.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Shoulda known better than to bet against GOAT Cameron!

He'll probably still be peeved that it didn't beat Avengers Endgame though. Here's to the next 10 years of Avatar 2 re-releases until it catches up

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Shoulda known better than to bet against GOAT Cameron!

He'll probably still be peeved that it didn't beat Avengers Endgame though. Here's to the next 10 years of Avatar 2 re-releases until it catches up
    Don't feel bad, I made a similar comment. I forgot how easy mainstream moviegoers (and apparently the Academy) are to please. Add in the fact that films like Avatar are the only kinds of movies people go see anymore and, well, this is what you get.

Current Moviegoer: I'm familiar with this property. Take my money.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

It's impressive though. It took Marvel 20 movies and a decade of work to get two films at this level. Star Wars took 6 films and 40 years to hit this level. Both have long established, rabid fanbases who spend tons of money on these established IPs in all kinds of forms.

Avatar isn't based off an established IP. It doesn't have a built in fanbase. It was an original property. It didn't even have a huge star attached to it like Marvel's literal parade of stars in Avengers Infinity War and Endgame. And it was that successful. The sequel is almost as successful with only 1 film of original IP to go off and still no real stars attached to the project..wait, Cliff Curtis is a household name, right?

It's pretty goddamn impressive.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    It's impressive though. It took Marvel 20 movies and a decade of work to get two films at this level. Star Wars took 6 films and 40 years to hit this level. Both have long established, rabid fanbases who spend tons of money on these established IPs in all kinds of forms.

Avatar isn't based off an established IP. It doesn't have a built in fanbase. It was an original property. It didn't even have a huge star attached to it like Marvel's literal parade of stars in Avengers Infinity War and Endgame. And it was that successful. The sequel is almost as successful with only 1 film of original IP to go off and still no real stars attached to the project..wait, Cliff Curtis is a household name, right?

It's pretty goddamn impressive.
    All great points. I don't deny the fact that it's impressive.

I guess my question is, what is it about the films that have resonated with people? Is it just the world-building?
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4