Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Under the Dome - Let's Discuss! *Spoilers*

Gunslinger Apprentice lowdown is on a distinguished road lowdown's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i finished it 2 days ago and have been waiting to let it sink in..i love the book what a fucking ride

i can say it ended short compared to the build up ...at about half the book it could have ended but it still kept me going and i was rolling ......i read the last half of the book in 2 days .....i think Sai King is scared to draw out a ending maybe,after DT7 but he almost had too....but thats another thread.....i dont care though ,it was such a good book..... i almost don't care about the ending .....he could have gave a epilouge but as far as King goes.......
    You take the good, you take the bad,
    you take them both and there you have
    The Facts of Life, the Facts of Life

sorry im stoned

sorry ...great book one of his best .....i could read one of these every month

kudos Stephen King you are THE writer in my book ...besides the bible......i know it's kinda crazy but i cant put anybody over the bible

I'm nonviolent with those who are nonviolent with me. But when you drop that violence on me, then you've made me go INSANE, and I'm not responsible for what I do

Malcolm X

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Potentially religiously offensive...you've been warned.
    Spoiler:
    Personally I like every King book more than the bible. Let's just face it, parts of the bible are just plain tedious and it is a plotless book. And surely the begets could have been cut back to a paragraph or so. It really could have used a good editor. It would have made a really nice short story or novella.

And there was no signed limited.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Potentially religiously offensive...you've been warned.
    Spoiler:
    Personally I like every King book more than the bible. Let's just face it, parts of the bible are just plain tedious and it is a plotless book. And surely the begets could have been cut back to a paragraph or so. It really could have used a good editor. It would have made a really nice short story or novella.

And there was no signed limited.
    Some good subplots and stories within, but yeah overall really disconnected and tedious. If about 500 pages were removed, it would be a good book.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it could even be shorter still.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Solar View Post
    Just thinking about the IT reference:

Spoiler:
    Losers club had their last confrontation with It in 1985. This book came out in 2009. Started in 2008. That would be 28 years. Coincindence? Or has the cycle come round again?
    That would be cool, but I think your math's off. 2013 would be 28 years.
    Wow, I am gonna get that 'rithmatic someday

Pharm guy making math mistakes. *shudders*

If you rescue me

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:
    Losers club had their last confrontation with It in 1985. This book came out in 2009. Started in 2008. That would be 28 years. Coincindence? Or has the cycle come round again?

Compentence is highly overated
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:

Just remember- if I'm ever in town my Percocet prescription DOES say take 4-6 every 1-2 hours.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Too much tylenol.
    Sloth Love Chunk

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:

Just remember- if I'm ever in town my Percocet prescription DOES say take 4-6 every 1-2 hours.
    He didn't say he was dyslexic, Brice, just bad at math. That means you'd get 25 Percocets instead of the 30 you were supposed to get.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey did you guys know there is a new med to be distributed by incompetent pharmacists with loose morals. I hear it fixes everything.

Spoiler:
    Sloth Love Chunk

Gunslinger Apprentice lowdown is on a distinguished road lowdown's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

come on guys ..there is no offence to me ....this is america we can say what we want.....alot of people feel that way.....its is really a collection of books but i digress

the dome was great

I'm nonviolent with those who are nonviolent with me. But when you drop that violence on me, then you've made me go INSANE, and I'm not responsible for what I do

Malcolm X

Gunslinger Apprentice Savvy is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Rennie

and for Barbie I was imagining a younger baby faced version of daniel craig. Dont know why!

Thurston

Is there a thread like this for TDT??

Gunslinger Apprentice pinkymcfatfat is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Did anyone else see parallels between two of the UTD baddies and some real life baddies?

Big Jim, dies alone in a bunker, ala Hitler (and has his own group of 'brown shirts' although they wear blue).

Junior, becomes a sadistic killer because of a brain tumor, ala Charles Lee Whitman (the Texas tower shooter)

Country
    Country Flag

About meth and all that...

My older sister was addicted to meth for 20+ years, so unfortunately, I know a lot about it. Also, one of my partners at work has a husband who works for the Pennsylvania Forestry Bureau and has run into meth labs set up in remote locations.

Meth labs are incredibly dangerous. There has been some question about the fumes and such from one exploding. It would be very, very bad. Even with wind, it's harder to dissipate then you would think.

Look up stories about homes that were former meth labs. The people who move into them become incredibly ill, even years after meth was made there. Most of these homes need to be demolished. Hell, you don't even need to go into a former meth house to get a taste of it, just go and visit someone who's a dedicated meth addict.

My sisters enviroment was toxic, years of indoor heavy meth use made it that way. When she committed suicide in May of '05, it was up to me to clean out her tiny house. Even with every window wide open, I wore a mask. I still went home every night to blinding headaches etc. I had to warn city housing about the place and they brought in professional cleaners...and I often wonder if any following tenants became ill living there.

Back to a lab exploding, go on google and put in 'meth lab explosion'. These generally show one room or house explosions, and they are nasty. Imagine an industrial meth lab going up after an explosion.

As I said, my friends hub is a Forestry officer and has found several meth labs. They pose a real threat in forest locations. If the do go up, they can cause a Hellish forest fire and the burning chemicals greatly endanger the fire crews.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Quote Originally Posted by 1morerobot View Post

Rennie: Bruce McGill

Thurston: James Cromwell

Spot on for those...
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Country
    Country Flag

Aidan's Shawshank Prison surplus nightshirt/t-shirt belonged to prisoner 9091.

9+0+9+1=19

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post

Spoiler:

He didn't say he was dyslexic, Brice, just bad at math. That means you'd get 25 Percocets instead of the 30 you were supposed to get.
    ...or 250.

Too much tylenol.
    Is it bad to point out that there are somewhat easy ways of separating one from the other?

If you rescue me

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, you pretty much nailed it. I especially liked your choices for Barbie, Rennie and Junior. I'm not sure about Kathy Bates, she seems a little to overt for the part.

As for Rennie, I kept picturing Brian Dennehy in my head as I was reading:

Ahahahaha, I did the same thing!
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by blaine View Post
    really sorry but i hated this book. the characters were cookie cutter, the storyline just meandered and the ending seem to be tacked on.
    not even 1/20 th as good as the stand .
    oh thank god, i thought i had read a different book to everyone else. although i didn't hate this book, it didn't care for it and really struggled to finish it. maybe i need to read it again (in a few months when i can stomache it) but i really didn't care for any of the characters, which made it difficult to care what happened at the end.

This was no where near the Stand and even duma key, it was a frustrating read from start to finish for me, i understand that your all saying you know people like rennie, but my god i had to keep putting the book to one side it annoyed me so much.

so its taken me an awfully long time to finish it, which may add to my dis-like, hopefully when i go for the re-read that fact that i know how it ends may help me digest the mis-justice that went on. I think, in my mind, i like my fiction to have an end to the wronged and for justice to win out. but to me this never happened in UTD

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think it MAY be bad, and almost certainly is illegal.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, it definitely is illegal. Bad however is a more relative term.

Edit: It's not illegal to point it out or even to tell someone how (though I wouldn't generally), it is only illegal to actually do it.

If you rescue me

Traveler futuramaguy07 is on a distinguished road

I''m a huge Fantasy - Medieval person and EotD was an absolutely amazing read for me. Pretty much every book I read has a point in it where I can not put it down till the end (I have a feeling im getting close to this point in Wizard and Glass, which thrills me). Eyes of the Dragon was one of those special books that demanded not to be put down from the beginning.
    Don't get me wrong, Im not saying that EotD is necesarily better than books that take longer to grab me, but still, it was an excellent book.

Traveler Jaztastic is on a distinguished road

Did anyone else think for a second that the "Leatherheads" were really giant ants? Once they started talking about ants under a magnifying glass, I started thinking about ants taking revenge on us. The shape of an ant's head is somewhat of a diamond; and they may look very geometrical and angle-y (lol) if we were blown up to a large size, and we were very small compared to them.

Citizen of Gilead CPU is on a distinguished road CPU's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blaine View Post
    really sorry but i hated this book. the characters were cookie cutter, the storyline just meandered and the ending seem to be tacked on.
    not even 1/20 th as good as the stand .
    oh thank god, i thought i had read a different book to everyone else. although i didn't hate this book, it didn't care for it and really struggled to finish it. maybe i need to read it again (in a few months when i can stomache it) but i really didn't care for any of the characters, which made it difficult to care what happened at the end.

This was no where near the Stand and even duma key, it was a frustrating read from start to finish for me, i understand that your all saying you know people like rennie, but my god i had to keep putting the book to one side it annoyed me so much.

so its taken me an awfully long time to finish it, which may add to my dis-like, hopefully when i go for the re-read that fact that i know how it ends may help me digest the mis-justice that went on. I think, in my mind, i like my fiction to have an end to the wronged and for justice to win out. but to me this never happened in UTD
    Add me to the above group, and candy pretty much said everything I would have . To be truthful, I haven't even been able to finish it yet; I keep trying, and trying, and trying..

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

anyone notice the editing mistakes at the beginning of the book. wasn't Julia's dog's name Horace and a couple of times the name Hector popped up instead. haven't seen anymore as i have not read that far into the book yet.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast