Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the one King book you'd recommend a new reader?

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

How 'bout this. Let him read the dust jackets and choose one that he finds interesting.

just a thought
    Sloth Love Chunk

Gunslinger Apprentice nocny will become famous soon enough nocny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    To each his own. I didn't find EotD to be for young readers. Different perspective, I guess.
    Probably but you know, Steve wrote it for his children

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    How 'bout this. Let him read the dust jackets and choose one that he finds interesting.
    hehe, now that's the simply and great idea let the man himself choose

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Hobbit was a written for children too.

If you want opinions on book recommendations, don't criticize them afterwards.

Gunslinger Apprentice nocny will become famous soon enough nocny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If you are writing to me I don't get it because I didn't criticize anything and anyone

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by nocny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    hehe, now that's the simply and great idea let the man himself choose
    Of course. Still reasonable for a reader with direct experience to offer some guidance, tho. It's conceivable that he might read the sales copy for 'Salem's Lot, for example, and conclude that he's not interested in vampires, then miss out on the human interest elements. TLC obviously knows him better than any of us, and might understand why King is "not his type of author." I'm assuming that that means he's just not interested in horror. Some aren't; that's the reason that I recommend Danse Macabre for people who are starting to think that they might enjoy King. He wrote nicely there about the horror genre and how he views it. Best advice, however, is for TLC to first talk more with him about his tastes. She might convince him to enjoy some new things, but what's more important is that they'll be able to enjoy that discussion.
    And the same goes for all of us here. "Opinions" and "criticisms" are two words with basically the same meaning. I think that it's really nice that we can share various thoughts on all of this. Let's keep it positive.

Along the Path of the Beam mdarkpoet is on a distinguished road mdarkpoet's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Desperation! Definitely Desperation, it was the first Stephen King book that I read, my older brother's wife recommended it to me. It was such a chilling and gripping novel, I've read and re-read the book so many times

I love it with a passion

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

So...do you like Desperation?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yes, it would seem that mdarkpoet was somewhat inclined to fancy Desperation, to an extent

as it is the case with bears...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice TLC is on a distinguished road TLC's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty
    Country
    Country Flag

Well,
    I talked to him on the phone last night and told him to read the jackets on the books like BROWNINGS CHILDE recommended but he told me he is already done reading Gunslinger and onto The drawing of three!!!
    He is having a tough time getting through it though with the character development of Susannah. I told him not to give up!

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool! We'll have another junkie on here soon

Traveler kyngbaub is on a distinguished road kyngbaub's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I honestly convinced several people from work to read The Gunslinger. I told them that if the could get through it, there were others in the series and it was an amazing read. Every one of them have been successfully turned into junkies!

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

There used to be a thread at .net in which people told how many people they made into DT junkies. I guess you should be on the list

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TLC View Post
    ...He is having a tough time getting through it though with the character development of Susannah. I told him not to give up!
    Good. :nods: I think I know just what you mean. see first paragraph, this post
    Quote Originally Posted by kyngbaub View Post
    I honestly convinced several people from work to read The Gunslinger. I told them that if the could get through it, there were others in the series and it was an amazing read. Every one of them have been successfully turned into junkies!
    Yeah, I don't imagine that it'd really be necessary to read any other SK books before DT1.
    As long as the person who doesn't enjoy it right away knows better than to automatically get turned off from all of King's other work. And as long as the majority who will enjoy it don't mind breaking from the series to read some of his other books. I mean, I know that some folken here did read TDT straight through before they ever went back to pick up any earlier SK book. I just can't imagine that, personally. DT2, sure; most people in the world today have at least heard of The Shining, so that's enough. Other connections in TDOTT are rendered moot. But, I sure did enjoy DT3 more from first knowing SK in detail.
    Last edited by pathoftheturtle; 12-14-2009 at 02:01 PM. Reason: <-- slow and steady.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stone, rose, unfound door
    There used to be a thread at .net in which people told how many people they made into DT junkies. I guess you should be on the list
    we have one too, of course!

ETA: path was quicker...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Traveler TheRedKing is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

If I were recommending them to read just one King book then it would have to be Talisman. Its such a rich blend of adventure, fantasy and horror, my favourite King book ever.

If I was recommending them to pick a book to start with, a taste of King, then I'd say Salems Lot. It has ever aspect we all come to expect in Kings books, the familiar characters, scenes that chill the spine and a catastrophic ending. It is also brilliant

My Mood
    Chatty
    Country
    Country Flag

I admit, I also had a hard time getting to "know" Susannah...but it does pay off in the end.

LOL @ pathoftheturtle .... u want to kiss beam boy!

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well! It's easy to make fun, when you haven't filled out answers for yourself. -_^

My Mood
    Chatty
    Country
    Country Flag

i sure did fill it out! a while back though!

I'm not making fun of you!! I'm laughing with you.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

i sure did fill it out! a while back though!
    I'm sorry. Really? ...I... ...still can't find that...

I'm not making fun of you!! I'm laughing with you.
    Yar. I see. A lot of things are relative.

Along the Path of the Beam GirlGoneNineteen is on a distinguished road GirlGoneNineteen's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I recommend Drawing of the Three (The Gunslinger can be a little off for first time readers, I know I didn't like it the first time even being a Constant Reader! I tell them to read Gunslinger AFTER they finish the series Makes so much more sense. I was hooked at the lobstrosities.)
    Other contenders are Misery, Different Seasons, The Stand, and, if we're including Bachman in the running, Blaze and The Regulators!
    So much you did and so much more you would have done, aye, and all without a check or qualm, and so will the world end, I think, a victim of love rather than hate. For love's ever been the more destructive weapon, sure.

Gunslinger Apprentice JameseyLefebure is on a distinguished road JameseyLefebure's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

IT!! IT!! IT!!! IT!!! IT!!! IT!!! IT!!! IT!!!!

I know that's is a massive book but I've recogmended it to about 6 people, lent it to them only for them to become S.K junkies Woop Woop!!
    I also normally talk about the dark tower for a while first then suggest the first book, but i do normally say that the 2nd is much better and after that they're hooked I've managed to get the 3 lads I work with hooked on The Dark Tower

Jamesey
    xxxx

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    I think I know just what you mean. see first paragraph, this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stone, rose, unfound door
    we have one too, of course!

ETA: path was quicker...
    Oops thank you both

Along the Path of the Beam NoLabelBG is on a distinguished road NoLabelBG's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JameseyLefebure View Post
    IT!! IT!! IT!!! IT!!! IT!!! IT!!! IT!!! IT!!!!

I know that's is a massive book but I've recogmended it to about 6 people, lent it to them only for them to become S.K junkies Woop Woop!!
    Jamesey
    xxxx
    I totally agree with you! IT was my first Stephen King book, and i was hooked up instantly! There is no problem that it's a massive book, because when you reach the final words, you just can't accept that everything is over, and you want more and more! Or at least that was in my case!
    [COLOR="Red"][B][SIZE="1"][FONT="Verdana"]To see some Bulgarian
    Stephen King book covers, click here:

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I would recommend 'Salem's Lot. As a few people have already said, it is a good lead-in to The Dark Tower series. I read it in between WaG and WotC because I read on the back of WotC that Father Callahan was in it. So obviously I wanted to read his story before I got to his character in Calla Bryn Sturgis. Not to mention 'Salem's Lot is a great example of Stephen King's ability to take old stories and make them fresh again. He is one of the few authors I've seen who can accomplish it successfully.

Traveler michalz00 is on a distinguished road michalz00's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hard choice. I would recommend The Shining or Salme's Lot.

Not too long and both are a good showcase of King's talent.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast