Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: What is the one King book you'd recommend a new reader?

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by proverbs32 View Post
    I'm ashamed to say that I was a bit of a snob when it came to Stephen King in the past
    I don't know why did I assume this before I'd even read and judged for myself??. Well I did try to read Stephen King when I was a kid back in the early 90's
    My Aunt given me alot of Stephen King Hardback Books, I tried reading "The Dark Half" but just couldn't focus enough to finish it (I loved the start of it).
    I did watch on TV IT, The Stand, All the films too and loved them as well.
    But I think it was the massive page numbers of his books that put me off until......
    I was given a book token as a gift back in Nov 2011, And saw in Waterstones 11/22/63, I'd loved the cover, and had read rave reviews in the national press.
    I read the first few pages there and then in Waterstones and was hooked!!!, Best £10 I'd spent in ages!!.
    While I was reading 11/22/63 at home I looked up Stephen King on the internet and found lots of very helpful sites and pages for someone like me who wanted to know if it was worth investing time and money in buying and collecting Stephen King Books.
    I took a step towards the Stephen King Universe I wasn't scared I was exicited!!!.
    So between early Dec 2011 to a few weeks ago end of Jan 2012, I went to all the charity shops in my area (Windsor, Egham, Woking, Staines, Ashford, Richmond) and was very lucky to very quickly pick up almost all of the whole Stephen King written works (Apart from Carrie, Salem's Lot, Eyes of the Dragon, The Dark Half, Christine, Firestarter, & Skeleton Crew) for only £1, 50p, £2, etc.
    So now I'm only on my 2nd SK Book which is "The Stand" (Chapter 48).
    I know I'm being a bit forward in joining this site as it's going to be a while before I feel I would be ready to start reading The Dark Tower books.
    But I can't wait to get stuck in. Happy Reading to you all.
    Welcome to the world of Stephen King! You are on track for some very good reading. I hope you enjoy The Stand and whatever books you start on next. I also recommend Different Seasons--4 excellent stories that range from funny and sentimental to disturbingly creepy.

Traveler proverbs32 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you Divemaster, I was thinking of maybe an shorter novel or maybe Night Shift. I really wanna try IT but I think this book would maybe be too much after reading The Stand??.
    End of the day it doesn't really matter as long as I'm reading Stephen King.
    I'm now on Chapter 49 of The Stand and loving it.......

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes. It is my favorite, but I still think you're right -- you can wait to get into that one. Particularly if you're wanting to get into TDT soon. Again, Eyes of the Dragon, a shorter novel, or one of the Different Seasons novellas, which I agree is probably the best "one book to recommend a new reader."

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I also think it's a great idea to read King's books in publication order.

Traveler proverbs32 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I also think it's a great idea to read King's books in publication order.
    I am thinking about doing this...... Seems that SK has got so many good books I wanna read now!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

When I first started reading King in the mid-nineties, I read a couple of random books, but then went chronologically in publication order. I think it's the best way.

Demon of the Prim Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Duma Key!!!!!
    Never try to teach a pig to sing...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I think Misery is a good start. It is a good self-contained story and isn't too much horror, has just enough suspense to keep it going. Also, it is realistic and it got me hooked. It doesn't require knowledge of other King books and if they like the style of it, I figure they can branch out from there.
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Citizen of Gilead harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

My recommendations come after I've asked a couple questions to assess the kind of books this theoretical newbie already enjoys.
    If I wanted to scare the s**t out of them, I'd give them Pet Sematary.
    If I wanted to show them that King is not just scares, Different Seasons.
    If they want epic and are not scared by thick books, The Stand.
    A fantasy fan? Why, The Gunslinger, of course!

Traveler Edlchalz is on a distinguished road

I always say storm of the century, it's written as a screen play which I found easy to follow and it's not too long, not to mention the movie is spot on. It was the first one I read.

Gunslinger Apprentice Xile is on a distinguished road Xile's Avatar

My Mood
    Bitchy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by harrison ryan View Post
    My recommendations come after I've asked a couple questions to assess the kind of books this theoretical newbie already enjoys.
    If I wanted to scare the s**t out of them, I'd give them Pet Sematary.
    If I wanted to show them that King is not just scares, Different Seasons.
    If they want epic and are not scared by thick books, The Stand.
    A fantasy fan? Why, The Gunslinger, of course!
    I couldn't agree more with this. Are you my lost twin?
    X-man: The One Man Wolfpack...

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Dead Zone

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

my pretty pony...juust kidding. if their ok with a little gore maybe needful things.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7