Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread: King appearances, interviews, podcasts...

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    But did YOU get anything signed?
    Here are a couple things: King on Joyland King & T Bone Burnett on GBDC promo CD
    Mellencamp on GBDC promo CD

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice!

John

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger Apprentice johnsmith87 will become famous soon enough johnsmith87's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/morning-joe/52203215

Here's the Morning Joe interview. Enjoy.

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith87 View Post
    http://video.msnbc.msn.com/morning-joe/52203215

Here's the Morning Joe interview. Enjoy.
    thanks.... Fun to watch them ...again

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I really appreciate all of you who post the links to the interviews. I almost never have time in the morning to watch TV, so these really help!

John

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by EXPLORER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I'm sure King's website will collect the ones they can for the multimedia section
    Meet the Creators (live event at Apple's NY Soho ) Was taped and will be released FREE for download by Apple.
    It was a fun event with great conversation and interesting insights about how the touring show in fall will differ from the performance in Atlanta. Wonderful interaction between King, Mellencamp & Burnett.
    Spotted Itunes podcast :
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...661888573?mt=2

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I'm sure King's website will collect the ones they can for the multimedia section
    Meet the Creators (live event at Apple's NY Soho ) Was taped and will be released FREE for download by Apple.
    It was a fun event with great conversation and interesting insights about how the touring show in fall will differ from the performance in Atlanta. Wonderful interaction between King, Mellencamp & Burnett.
    Spotted Itunes podcast :
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...661888573?mt=2
    Q&A starts about 25:33 into podcast with me asking first question.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Stephen King on his Favorite Foods

Before Stephen King became America's foremost master of fear, selling some 350 million books, he was just a young guy whose wife cooked him dinner. "There's a long-running joke that I married Tabitha because we were poor, and she came with a typewriter," King says. "But it's really because of the fish that she cooked for me." Four decades later, simplicity still reigns at their table, though brain food means dessert. "I have a son who swears by creme brulee and always eats it before he writes. For me, it's cheesecake. I also love baking bread. It makes the house smell wonderful." The diet delivers results (his novel Under the Dome is now airing as a CBS TV series, and his sequel to The Shining hits shelves in September). However, he avoids certain ingredients. "I'm not a fan of anything slippery or slimy," says King. "I don't eat oysters. It's horrible, the way they slither down your throat alive." --Jonathan Durbin

Source
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Black coffee? A man after my heart.

Gunslinger Apprentice johnsmith87 will become famous soon enough johnsmith87's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

mmm cheesecake...

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love both creme brûlée and cheesecake - too bad they are not the only ingredients to being a writer
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Default Interview in Cleveland magazine

A Shining Example

Stephen King lifts the lid on CBS' Under the Dome, his sequel to The Shining and his Cleveland Influences.

by Barry Goodrich

Fourth period study hall is the dead zone of the school day.

It's also when Stephen King, a freshman at Lisbon Falls High School in Maine, fed his obsession, devouring the likes of Ray Bradbury, 1940s science pulp fiction and the soul-searing novels of a Clevelander: Don Robertson.

A former soap opera writer, Cleveland Magazine managing editor and novelist, Robertson's books stripped away pretense and left readers enlightened but exhausted. "There are a lot of his influences in my early books," says King from his home in Maine. "I loved him. I just thought he was terrific. Don had a taste for the gruesome, which really appealed to me."

King talked with us about Robertson, his Under the Dome TV series, two new books and his days as a Tribe fan.

Q. What inspired you to publish Robertson's The Ideal, Genuine Man in 1987?

A. Don was a balls to the wall writer. This is the best one he wrote before the end of his life. One of my favorite memories was an appearance for the book in Houston. There were hundreds of people there, and Don had never had that kind of attention before. He asked me if I ever got nervous before these things and then pulled out the biggest f---ing bottle of Valium I had ever seen and took four of them. He lived large.

Q. Is CBS' Under the Dome similar to your book?

A. The showrunner, Brian Vaughan, who is from Cleveland, created an arc of the story, which is different from the book. He wrote three of the episodes, and all of the scripts have gone through his hands. There's a lot of Cleveland in his head. When the disc jockey gets into trouble from gambling, it was because he kept betting on the Browns.

Q. In your crime novel Joyland, the main character reveals he once worked for Cleveland Magazine. Where did that reference come from?

A. Back in the mid-'90s, the Red Sox hired a terrible manager, and I was so pissed off I decided I was done with them, and I became an Indians fan. I was one of the first to buy season tickets for Jacobs Field, and I had a seat right behind home plate. I would fly into town and stay in a hotel, which is where I must have seen the magazine. For three years I tried my ass off to root for the Indians, but I couldn't do it. I realized I was in the wrong place.

Q. Your new book Doctor Sleep is the long-awaited sequel to The Shining. How daunting a task was this?

A. It scared me a little bit, but I decided I was going to do it because it scared me. I think it's pretty good. It fits fairly seamlessly with the original. Danny Torrance is all grown up, but he's still dealing with some demons. This book is like being the son of a famous father — it's always hard to live up to the old man.

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

"This book is like being the son of a famous father — it's always hard to live up to the old man."

Interesting
    Thanks Bev
    reality continues to ruin my life

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Ask Owen, and Joe...

Citizen of Gilead jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g's Avatar

Default October 2013 Vanity Fair interview

There is a King interview in the October 2013 issue of Vanity Fair I believe.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VANITY-FAI...-/221281128403

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I don't see any evidence of that. Of course, I may be distracted...

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't see anything on the cover either.
    Perhaps in celebration of 100 years, somewhere in the magazine (and also in this post) are the words "Stephen" and or "King".

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I surfed to the Vanity Fair magazine web page, found the ToC for the October issue; there is NO mention of Sai King anywhere! :-(
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Citizen of Gilead jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g's Avatar

Apologies for misleading anyone. I saw the eBay ad and failed to check it out properly. Amateur I'm afraid.

Default Vanity Fair -- update

I was going to post this on the original thread, but it's been archived. According to a poster on my message board: "the new Vanity Fair (10/13, with Kate Upton on the cover) has SK doing the Proust Questionnaire on the very last page--376, I think.*"

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice! Those are always entertaining and interesting.

Kind of off topic, has anyone read the big Brad Pitt interview in Entertainment Weekly a few months-year back? It went over every movie, every big event in his life, etc etc. Really explored everything. It was the best interview I've ever read and that kid of set the bar for me when it comes to "in-depth" interviews.

The one page Proust interview is there on page 260.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default First (?) King TV interview

http://www.openculture.com/2014/06/s...interview.html
    The look of this 1982 video magazine interview with Stephen King comes right out of a Laverne and Shirley episode, which makes it doubly charming. Broadcast at the time only in Bangor and Portland, this University of Maine production marks the first “up close and personal” TV interview with King, who represents one of the school’s “high achievers,” many of whom Henry Nevison interviewed for the local series. The interview takes place at King’s home in Bangor. Nevison describes the circumstances on his website:

At the time, King had just finished writing his novel “Christine” and one year earlier had starred in Creepshow, a campy horror/sci-fi movie based on several of his shorter stories. Initially, I conducted a radio interview and we discovered that we had a lot of similar interests, most importantly the same warped sense of humor. He then agreed to an extended “sit-down” television interview, even though he had avoided that concept up to this point. I think he did it because he knew it would be good for the university.

In his video intro, Nevison points out that King had published most of the horror novels that made his career—including Carrie, The Dead Zone, The Shining, The Stand, and Firestarter—and had already sold movie rights for those books. Which means he was a veritable pop-lit superstar even at this early point in his career. Through a bushy beard the size of a small woodchuck, King genially opines on whether leaving the light on at night keeps the monsters away (“bottom line,” it does) and how he keeps the scares fresh after so many stories and novels. We see him hunt and peck on an ancient, hulking word processor (perhaps composing “Word Processor of the Gods”) and look generally creepy but good-natured.

King and Nevison spend most of the nearly half-hour interview discussing the differences between books and film (they’re “diametrically opposed”). It’s a subject King has returned to several times over the years, often in complaint, venting for example over Stanley Kubrick’s 1980 take on The Shining. King glosses over his hatred of Kubrick’s film here, saying the book will outlive the movie (not likely, in this case). He also talks Hitchcock, and we see clips from a fairly decent student film production of his story “The Boogyman.” Much of the credit for this engaging interview should go to Nevison, who does what a good interviewer should: keeps the conversation going in new directions without getting in the way of it. It’s vintage King and sets the tone for the hundreds of televised interviews to come.

Country
    Country Flag

Default King and Damon Lindelof talk TV

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/06/st...ew-highlights/
    We put legendary novelist Stephen King and famed TV and movie screenwriter Damon Lindelof on the phone together and then just sat back and enjoyed the ride as the duo engaged in a rapid-fire exchange about the business of creating and adapting content for the small screen. King has the second season of CBS’ trapped-town drama Under the Dome, based on his book, premiering June 30 (he penned the premiere), while Lindelof has his first series since ABC’s Lost coming to HBO on June 29 — The Leftovers, based on the post-apocalyptic novel by Tom Perrotta, about 2 percent of the world’s population vanishing. Here are six things we overheard:

Lindelof explained The Leftovers is 98 percent a highly realistic drama series, with a dash of 2 percent sci-fi: “What really pulled me into the book was this idea of, okay, so 2 percent of the world’s population disappeared, this book is only 2 percent genre, you know? We’re just going to say this event happened, it happened three years ago, so the book is not about the immediate aftermath and all the rioting and the instability and craziness. It’s going to basically adopt the premise of: The world has almost ended, didn’t end, and now we’re back to playing softball, paying our taxes, going to school. If you look outside the window, it’ll look like it does right now. But if you watch long enough, about two minutes of every 100-minute cycle, something very weird might walk by.”

King on how nobody expected Dome to go beyond one season: “The idea always was it was going to be a 13-episode thing and they were going to button it up at the end, because CBS had no real confidence that it would go on from there … I talked to [Dome writer-EP] Brian Vaughan after Dome got picked up for a second season. I said: ‘What’s going to happen?’ He said: ‘I have no f—ing idea.’ … [but] the arc of the second season is terrific.”

Lindelof on how Perrotta’s collaboration on The Leftovers helps ground the show: “I just kind of feel like this all came out of Tom’s head and it would be great to have his ongoing creative contribution to the show because I’m liable to spin off into Crazy Genre Mystery Town. And having spent six years of my life there — as much as I love Lost, the sense of sheer relief that I felt once it was done, and just going like, ‘I don’t ever need to do that again.’ And people are like, ‘Well, now it seems like you’re doing that again with The Leftovers,’ and I say, ‘I think there’s a fundamental difference between The Leftovers and Lost.’ … Coming off of Lost it felt like the longer the show went on, the more crazy it had to become, just in order to sustain itself.”

King on the huge qualitative difference made by a network’s episode order: “I will say that it’s a quantum difference between network TV and premium cable … Most primarily, just in terms of how many episodes you need to do. Let’s just think: Would there have been a significant qualitative difference between eight episodes of True Detective, which is what we saw, and 12 episodes? I think that there would be. And I think that one of the things you see on network TV is that the idea of doing 20 episodes per season, it’s kind of like beating something until it doesn’t want to walk anymore. There’s a quantum difference between, say, NCIS and The Americans, and a big difference between True Detective and Bones.”

Lindelof on the perilous exhilaration of writing a TV show without a master plan: “A show like Breaking Bad—which in my opinion is, if not the best, one of the best television series ever—[the producers talked] very openly about the fact they were winging it. You just paint yourself into a corner, and you wait for the paint to dry and then you do it all over again. That’s a very exciting, exhilarating way to do it, but I was beaten about so much on Lost in terms of, like, ‘You have a plan, though, right?’ … The other question that they always ask is how much of an impact do the fans have on the story and they want the answer to that question to be that [they] have tremendous impact. It’s the gladiator arena! If you guys put your thumbs down, we will kill people. And whatever you don’t like, we will change that now. They don’t understand that these are two highly contradictory ideas that they want.”

King on how Josh Boone is progressing on his adaptation of The Stand (reportedly into a single three-hour R-rated film): “When I worked with Mick Garris on the miniseries, it was really sort of a rewarding experience because we had a chance to [focus on] the characters and I think I wrote the entire miniseries just so I could hear Gary Sinise say, ‘Country don’t mean dumb’ … Now I’ve been involved with Josh Boone who did The Fault in Our Stars and he’s working on the screenplay. He’s young and he’s ambitious and he’s totally behind the book and he seems to be doing a great job and seems to have a lot of support behind him from Warner Bros. So I have my fingers crossed, but that’s all that you need to do right? You just cross your fingers and hope.”

Pick up this week’s issue of Entertainment Weekly for a more complete version of the interview — plus our summer preview coverage including a look at Showtime’s Masters of Sex and a Game of Thrones finale preview.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast