Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 192 FirstFirst ... 19 59 67 68 69 70 71 79 119 169 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 4791

Thread: Betts Books

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    I wonder if the consignee is someone we know (I'm not going to speculate)...
    I was wondering the same thing. I also will not publicly speculate.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a guess in mind too.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Same here.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

There have been several large collections up for sale at Betts in the last couple of years. I wonder why so many are giving up on collecting King?

Hopefully there will be something in this collection for me, as all the others had nothing I did not already have, or sold out before I could get it.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

I think it has to do with age. The newer collectors went fast and hard, buying a lot of expensive books (older collectors got to pay cost). Then babies, burnout, other responsibilities came around.

Older collectors can receive good value for their collections and are beginning to downsize.
    This is just a guess, but I think the average age for sk collectors is around 45 ish.

Life is getting in the way of collecting. Illness (getting older) rocky wood. Babies, bills etc....

Just my opinion.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

I am never selling, but when I do go. Instead of taking my books with me. My nephew has a note to call betts books!

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's not me.....

Rest assured, I'll be in buying mode if the prices make sense (which they usually do)!

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

I'm not a motivated seller, but I'm not a buyer either - basically, I had a lot of fun collecting back in the day, but I got bored once EVERY book got a s/l edition, and it no longer felt all that exclusive.

Plus, the publishers figured out the true value of the books and the price went up (which is totally fine)...it just wasn't sustainable or interesting to try and chase everything down.

So I think that's why many collectors dropped off the grid.

My Mood
    Asleep

This huge consignment is based in Australia

Consignment is based in Australia. I dont think we know anyone that collects SK books in Australia. Do we????

and if so, wouldn't the books all be upside down?

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

There is an Australian collector whose eBay name is paulreadingking. I should know his real name but I can't find it now. He has been selling his collection for awhile. I'm thinking it may be him. Just a guess.

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You sure it's not someone that's trying to fund his chadbourne art collection?
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post

Should Chadbourne be scared? If i was a detective/writer, i would think that someone would buy all of Chadbournes art, then knock him off and make a fortune selling his stuff!!! art prices skyrocket after the artist goes. look at picasso, and michael angelo and ....

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it certainly could be him. I have no inside information. Just trying to raise my post count.

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

My guess would also be "someone who seems like they bought everything, but don't seem to be around much anymore."

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

"... And lives in Australia."

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Guys/Gals, c'mon, it's a no-brainer!

We all know who it is.....should be one helluva' listing at Betts come Wednesday.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Amazing. Hope the prices are great... Could be spending my years worth of King money in one shot. Lol and we sure do know who it is....!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

It will be interesting to see what David lists. I am trying to think if there was anything in his collection thread that really appealed to me.

As I told RF in a PM earlier, I have seen this quite a few times over the 30+ years I have been collecting. A collector burns white hot for several months to years and then completely flames out for whatever reason. It seems the intensity of the initial interest is directly proportional to the suddenness of the stoppage. Probably an oversimplification on my part but I have seen it happen quite a few times. I hope all is OK with him.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Yes, it certainly could be him. I have no inside information. Just trying to raise my post count.
    Send a PM request to me and I will manually change you post count, but it may not exceed God's 1,000,000 count (unless of course you slide a "tithe" to RF).

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

There is an Australian collector whose eBay name is paulreadingking. I should know his real name but I can't find it now. He has been selling his collection for awhile. I'm thinking it may be him. Just a guess.
    No, Paul is based in New Zealand.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It will be interesting to see what David lists. I am trying to think if there was anything in his collection thread that really appealed to me.

As I told RF in a PM earlier, I have seen this quite a few times over the 30+ years I have been collecting. A collector burns white hot for several months to years and then completely flames out for whatever reason. It seems the intensity of the initial interest is directly proportional to the suddenness of the stoppage. Probably an oversimplification on my part but I have seen it happen quite a few times. I hope all is OK with him.
    I do not think this is a "quit" collecting thing but more of a "new direction" in collecting as I have spoken to who I think this is, a few months back and kind of thought this may happen. Was not that surprised when David posting where he was from.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I am trying to see if there is anything I can afford. 8)
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

I do not think this is a "quit" collecting thing but more of a "new direction" in collecting as I have spoken to who I think this is, a few months back and kind of thought this may happen. Was not that surprised when David posting where he was from.
    I doubt any of us ever lose the urge to collect completely. I guess I was speaking to the smaller niche of collecting Stephen King writing that brings most of us to this forum. Over the years I have seen collectors amass very large collections of King material in very short periods of time and then, seemingly, drop out completely. There was a guy on eBay named "Dr. Mindful" or something like that in the early days of eBay. That was when I still needed quite a few King books and, eBay being relatively new, there were many, many listings of material I had never seen or heard of before. I was bidding on lots and lots of stuff and this Dr. Mindful was outbidding all of us, every day, all day long on just about every desirable King item. He seemed to have unlimited funds to buy anything he wanted. Charlie, Chris, Hutch and I (and others I'm sure) were frustrated (and pissed off) by this guy. This lasted a couple of years and then stopped abruptly. I have no idea what happened to him or what he did with his collection. There have been several other similar collectors I have known over the years who go completely all in at the beginning and then drop out of King collecting, presumably to move on to other interests. I just find it to be an interesting phenomenon. And maybe this is the norm in collecting. Maybe I am the weird one who has plodded on for 30+ years with only one real goal.....to get a copy of every word Stephen King has published and every book in every state.

Gunslinger Apprentice erxbooks is on a distinguished road erxbooks's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Some of us just meet our goals and move on to something else. I started my collecting habit on Edgar Rice Burroughs. Once I had all of the First editions (Some McClurgs in dust jacket and all firsts published by Metropolitan on in dust jacket) Along with all multiple examples of the reprints in dust jacket, I found my self done. 20 years and I had reached my goal. I could find some better copies of some of the books, but the cost was prohibitive and I found I had a harder time selling my duplicates. I moved on to something else. I was on to the Grant and Gnome Conan books. Finished that and started collecting some of the signed Subterranean Limited editions of authors I liked: (Scalzi, Butcher, Abercrombie, etc) along with finding signed Dark Tower books.

Now I am concentrating on signed Dark Tower related books. When I finish that, who knows what will be next. But, until I run out of time, money or space, I will be collecting something. I have that strange disease of Bibliomania

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

I doubt any of us ever lose the urge to collect completely. I guess I was speaking to the smaller niche of collecting Stephen King writing that brings most of us to this forum. Over the years I have seen collectors amass very large collections of King material in very short periods of time and then, seemingly, drop out completely. There was a guy on eBay named "Dr. Mindful" or something like that in the early days of eBay. That was when I still needed quite a few King books and, eBay being relatively new, there were many, many listings of material I had never seen or heard of before. I was bidding on lots and lots of stuff and this Dr. Mindful was outbidding all of us, every day, all day long on just about every desirable King item. He seemed to have unlimited funds to buy anything he wanted. Charlie, Chris, Hutch and I (and others I'm sure) were frustrated (and pissed off) by this guy. This lasted a couple of years and then stopped abruptly. I have no idea what happened to him or what he did with his collection. There have been several other similar collectors I have known over the years who go completely all in at the beginning and then drop out of King collecting, presumably to move on to other interests. I just find it to be an interesting phenomenon. And maybe this is the norm in collecting. Maybe I am the weird one who has plodded on for 30+ years with only one real goal.....to get a copy of every word Stephen King has published.
    That is a very cool story! I must say... I fought and struggled with whether to start down this path or not. I mean you had some great opportunities to buy some books at the right prices. I starting so late have not and that was what was holding me back. The prices I am paying for some are high... MUCH higher than when released. But I see some going up JUST since I bought them a short time ago. I decided about a year or more ago to just get the older hardcovers (not 1st's necessarily) but kept creeping the matching Dark Tower set on ABE Books for $25000. I could not get my head around why someone would pay that.... I also did not understand why they are so much when my copies were mint and looked great. I made "friends" and I use this loosely with a guy on Ebay that had a part set and I thought I would like to have them since I LOVED the books more than any other. He gave me a really cheap price in the end... When I touched and felt the quality I decided to grab a few GE's... then I could not handle having a DT set that was "UN-completable"... thus a collecting bug/beast was born. My mission is vast (not as vast as yours) but large enough that it will take years. Should a situation arise financially that required me to sell them.. would I? Yes, I would. I would hate it and be sad cause I have a pretty nice looking set up that I enjoy looking at. But sometimes things get in the way.... life being the major one. I find it hard now to stay on task as I love the art side of it (instead of a couple of books I hired Rachel to customize me bookends to name one instance where I went off the "path") and I am constantly consumed with looking for the next deal. I also pay in Canadian too which makes the books more for me (for many reasons)... I would totally agree that a person would/could fizzel out... I do not think I will but you never know what curve ball can be thrown your way. For now I will keep on the path and hope that I have many years to stare at these wonderful books. kris
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 192 FirstFirst ... 19 59 67 68 69 70 71 79 119 169 ... LastLast