Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 120 of 192 FirstFirst ... 20 70 110 118 119 120 121 122 130 170 ... LastLast
Results 2,976 to 3,000 of 4791

Thread: Betts Books

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wolfehr View Post
    I think I probably fall into the "younger generation" category. I do all my reading on a digital device (i.e., kindle) because I find it much more convenient; I have all my books with me wherever I go, I can start reading new books instantly without waiting for delivery or having to go to a bookstore, every "book" is easy to carry around, I can pick the type/spacing as I like, and there's a built in light. At the same time I love and appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into a well-made book and will continue to collect the physical representations of my favorite stories
    I can jump on that one but I am the opposite. I am only in my early 20s and feel the need to have the actual book to read it. I work on computers so staring at a screen any longer than I have to just doesn't sounds appealing to me. I buy everything I want to read sometimes in duplicates. To me books are a work of art that can transport you to a whole new world while you read them so I always have one book with me wherever I go and more on the shelves than I will ever get to. My hope is that if some day the collecting world does die down I will still hold my collection near and dear. (I blame reading Fahrenheit 451 as a kid for this)

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfehr View Post
    I think I probably fall into the "younger generation" category. I do all my reading on a digital device (i.e., kindle) because I find it much more convenient; I have all my books with me wherever I go, I can start reading new books instantly without waiting for delivery or having to go to a bookstore, every "book" is easy to carry around, I can pick the type/spacing as I like, and there's a built in light. At the same time I love and appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into a well-made book and will continue to collect the physical representations of my favorite stories
    I can jump on that one but I am the opposite. I am only in my early 20s and feel the need to have the actual book to read it. I work on computers so staring at a screen any longer than I have to just doesn't sounds appealing to me. I buy everything I want to read sometimes in duplicates. To me books are a work of art that can transport you to a whole new world while you read them so I always have one book with me wherever I go and more on the shelves than I will ever get to. My hope is that if some day the collecting world does die down I will still hold my collection near and dear. (I blame reading Fahrenheit 451 as a kid for this)
    Brother.. I am in the exact same camp as you!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love having the physical copy of the book around. As a kid I always went to the library and always had a slew of books lying around. But I always wanted my own library in my house if possible - and thankfully it is. I wanted the books readily available to hopefully instill that same love in my son (almost 8 - 8). And to have a good variety of books around to grab his interest. I think I've reached that point - as he asks for a different book every few days and can be found with a book in bed when I have to come back and turn the lights down. However, I always have my kindle on hand wherever I go - I too love the portability, and wealth of books at hand.

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't stand reading digital. I spend all day on a computer, and the last thing I want is digital when I'm reading for pleasure. And since I only get to read when I'm lying in bed at night before going to sleep, there's nothing better than a real book.
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Servant of Gan Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

That was a nice write up David, thank you for sharing your thoughts on the matter.

I'm in my early 40's and I go between my kindle and the real thing. For instance I recently purchased The Stand for my kindle because I wanted to re read it and I'm not about to try and hold my S/L which is the only other version I have(as I get S/L's of books I lose the trades because I don't have enough shelf space for everything). As far as our favorite author goes any and every book available in physical form is what I will purchase, same for Joe Hill, same for a couple of others. If it's a book that is unlikely to be read again it goes on the kindle. I find it's much easier to travel with as well. I love looking at my shelves and seeing the real thing, the books that I grew up with and that made me happy many times as a kid and now as an adult/kid

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

One thing to add, I don't think all digital is equal. electronic ink >>>>>> LCD, etc.

I can't do any serious reading on a computer, phone, kindle fire, or similar device. However, I find electronic ink on the newer devices to be almost on par with regular printed material in terms of text quality, eye strain. etc.
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I buy a paperback, a large print hardback, or a new release hardback and read the book, then every so often I take a box of books down to the library and donate them.
    The library sells the donated books, and hopefully the person who inspects my donated books prices them properly since I take good care of them while reading them.

Citizen of Gilead Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I actually have moved almost exclusively to audio books. It's so easy to load them on my phone. I listen when I am going on walks, driving in the car or even grocery shopping.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aronstg View Post
    I actually have moved almost exclusively to audio books. It's so easy to load them on my phone. I listen when I am going on walks, driving in the car or even grocery shopping.
    Do you use an audiobook service or buy from iBooks?

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was going to say I'm in the younger camp but then realised, turning 40 recently, I'm probably not! () I spend so much of my time (primarily with work) on a screen, that I loathe reading for pleasure on an electronic device. I buy books, and also have this nostalgic connection with the "product". While e-readers are convenient in terms of volume and storage, they're inconvenient when wanting to read on a beach, in a bath, etc... So unless I'm travelling OS and expect to pump through a number of books in a brief period of time and not have access to my bookshelves, I actually find them heavy and inconvenient (and, if connected to the internet, too easily to distract from my reading to do something else on them...)

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

I have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to say on the subject.

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    I have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to say on the subject.
    Holy shite, that looks like my local book shop!

Citizen of Gilead Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aronstg View Post
    Do you use an audiobook service or buy from iBooks?
    I use Audible. It's super easy to download them onto my phone and there are plenty of ways to pay less than $15 per book. I've noticed that I can also download audiobooks from my local library. I could probably load those mp3s on to my phone as well but I haven't had a need to do that yet. Just like all other book formats. I have more audiobooks than I have time to listen to them and I'm always adding.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bruce is definitely kicking it old school But I really like seeing all that massiveness. I buy reading copies (I call 'em my daily drivers) and collection copies. I prefer my readers to be in HB as my eyes are betraying me more and more these days and the type is usually too small in the PB. As far as the age of collectors; I'm in my early 40s as well and didn't start collecting until last August. To be honest, I never knew folks did or what the hell a S/L, GE, etc. even was. Once I discovered CDs site, it was off to the races. Which lead to the discovery of this site and many more beyond to fuel one's appetite (addiction).
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Bruce is definitely kicking it old school But I really like seeing all that massiveness. I buy reading copies (I call 'em my daily drivers) and collection copies. I prefer my readers to be in HB as my eyes are betraying me more and more these days and the type is usually too small in the PB. As far as the age of collectors; I'm in my early 40s as well and didn't start collecting until last August. To be honest, I never knew folks did or what the hell a S/L, GE, etc. even was. Once I discovered CDs site, it was off to the races. Which lead to the discovery of this site and many more beyond to fuel one's appetite (addiction).
    A weird stat is age of gamers. Used to be roughly 34 years of age a couple years ago but every time I was online I heard "squeakers" or little kids that weren't old enough to play online (16 was the youngest age because of online laws by X-box).
    As for collecting, I'm guessing I was 35? I was bored, needed a hobby, and decided to collect Harry Potter. A girl I was dating at the time mentioned first editions and I hadn't a clue what she was talking about. I did some research, was shocked at my findings of value, and started collecting for fun, investments, and to simply "have" a rare book. I decided to get into what my favorite genre was.....horror. What better or worse writer to collect then Stephen King. I say worse because he has written dozens of books. And you have S/L, anniversary editions, gift editions, first editions, etc. I thought he would be an easy "buy" all to amass. I was a bit off lol. So 5 years later I have amassed quite an extensive collection. My problem now is, regardless of 100.00 gift editions, the cheapest book I need is a very fine Dead Zone. Everything else is priced a bit higher . But most of all I enjoy the search, the hunt for it. The enjoyment of finding a very fine Pet Semetery a couple of years ago and paying 35.00 for it. Things like that, are priceless in the collecting world.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Agree, Joe. It's all about the thrill of the hunt and bringing that baby home. Then you're right back at it trying to get your next "fix" lol.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Agree, Joe. It's all about the thrill of the hunt and bringing that baby home. Then you're right back at it trying to get your next "fix" lol.
    Definitely. Or finding a pretty damn good copy and holding onto it until you find a very damn good copy . I've done that way too much. Then the pretty good copy gets thrown on ebay. Someone buys it, they are happy, and everybody wins!
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Country
    Country Flag

Yeppers, the circle of life .

My Mood
    Confused

Circle of life for sure, but death to the bank account. But to me, well worth it as a horror/King fan!

Servant of Gan Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    Definitely. Or finding a pretty damn good copy and holding onto it until you find a very damn good copy . I've done that way too much. Then the pretty good copy gets thrown on ebay. Someone buys it, they are happy, and everybody wins!
    Both of you are spot on with these statements. Just when you think you can sit back and breathe the next thing comes along. Or something you didn't know you needed starts haunting thst gray matter in your head. Just when you think you're out those friggin lovable books pull you back in!
    P.S. Not complaining

Country
    Country Flag

You can check out anytime ya want, Bev. But you can never leave

Maerlyn's Imp HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Well im in my twenties so i guess id be qualified as part of the "younger generation". While Ive only been collecting for 3 1/2 ish years, itll definitely be a lifelong journey for me. There seems to be a decent amount of people becoming part of the community and taking up our passion. I agree with a lot of what was said above, it is all about the thrill of the hunt. Youre not going to have everything you want all at once, but you work towards it and then when you achieve it.. Ecstacy!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    Circle of life for sure, but death to the bank account. But to me, well worth it as a horror/King fan!
    Perfect. Circle.

Love this recent conversation on this thread.

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm in my thirties and I basically started collecting when two things happened just about simultaneously: I found out about first editions, limited editions, and book collecting in general and I started actually having the money to participate in book collecting. Two happy occurrences that happened to coincide. I had a collection of books at that time, but they were basically all reading copies because I had never thought anything about condition or value. It's horrifying to think of it now, but I used to actually be a prominent corner folder! Now I'd sooner punch my grandmother in the stomach than open one of my books, flip to a page, and crease it on purpose.

I think Stephen King is so universally known that there will always be a younger generation that gets interested in collecting his books, whether they grew up with a kindle or not. I don't think a kid could grow up nowadays and not be exposed to King's works at some point (shit, it's required reading in some schools) and a subset of them will always get hooked. King's a part of our collective culture now, as is the desire to amass wealth, items of value, and status symbols, so I don't think Stephen King collecting is going anywhere anytime soon (barring some sort of nuclear or Captain Trips-esque biological holocaust that destroys our society, of course).

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey66 View Post
    It's horrifying to think of now, but I used to actually be a prominent corner folder! Now I'd sooner punch my grandmother in the stomach than open one of my books, flip to a page, and crease it on purpose
    Gold! I'm still laughing...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 120 of 192 FirstFirst ... 20 70 110 118 119 120 121 122 130 170 ... LastLast