Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 192 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 83 133 ... LastLast

Thread: Betts Books

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Bob
    A GREAT item to have in the collection for sure.....
    Nice Job!

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Just wow - an awesome collection just gets better and better!

Congrats Bob
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    1965. But I'm not certain that it is stated as such in each issue. I'll have to see.
    The dates are on the pictures posted at Betts. Looks like June 1964 on issue #2. The letter says 1964.

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

WOOOW! I'm sooooo surprise it was BOB who won this.... ha ha ha...

Congrads Bob.... glad to see you got it.... I was going to give you a run for the money.... if it hadn't just happened to show up for sale after I just last week plopped 20+ grand down on a new truck (my christmas gift to myself)

had I known last week... I'd have just stuck with my old 97 dodge and gotten in the mix for this one.

Congrads Dude!!!!! Merry Christmas.... now hurry up and post the damn pictures of these prettys in their new home (I'm sure you'll be displaying them appropriately - given their status)
    and... don't forget to update your will - it's terry newsom - no "e" at the end)

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations!!! What an awesome purchase!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    1965. But I'm not certain that it is stated as such in each issue. I'll have to see.
    The dates are on the pictures posted at Betts. Looks like June 1964 on issue #2. The letter says 1964.
    Thanks! As soon as I typed "1965" I thought to myself that it didn't sound right and meant to double check but didn't get around to it.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Wonderful, Bob. I don't really think anyone here was surprised (too much, at least) that you were the winner.

John

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Wonderful, Bob. I don't really think anyone here was surprised (too much, at least) that you were the winner.
    I'm a little surprised myself. As I said earlier in this thread, the time was really not right for me to make a big purchase. Chris Cavalier and I talked last week and I told him that I didn't think I would place a bid. Then the whole "once-in-a-lifetime" thing started me to think that I should at least take a stab at it. I'm also surprised that some other collector didn't outbid me. I thought my bid had about a 50/50 chance of winning. In the end I think I did the right thing and don't think I will look back with any regret.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations Bob!
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations Bob! Glad you picked it up. I thought hard about it......

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Bob, now has three comics that might be worth more than everything I own in the world combined.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I think Bob might have gotten out cheap... it's the wrong time of year to sale something this big.... with christmas budgets.... like I said... had I not just paid cash for a new truck.... a christmas present to myself....

it's good to be Bob....

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Boomme View Post
    I think Bob might have gotten out cheap...
    I think so too, relatively speaking.

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations Bob,
    Very impressive addition.

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Citizen of Gilead Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations, Bob -- if I may. It's great that you could fill one of the few holes you might still have!

Citizen of Gilead Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

David -- Thanks for the biographical information on your site. Well done! Another U of A alum done good, lol!!!! Please keep those cool SK items coming in 2012....and please make sure they get here before the Mayan calendar claims the end of the world!

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Bob, now has three comics that might be worth more than everything I own in the world combined.
    I just spent the last few hours (minutes) tabulating my net worth and I concur with Brice

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

David, I like your story so i posted it here! i hope you dont mind --- because i know you will change your website sooner or later! I like archived history.

David wrote on his website -----
    I get questions all the time from you, loyal customers, about my background/history. As all of you are King lovers, I'll share some of my history with you. It is nothing close to a Stephen King novel, but it is MY story nevertheless.

I am 52 years of age and was born in Des Moines Iowa. My parents are now both deceased (I lost my mother this past June) but I have an older brother and younger sister. We moved briefly to Chagrin Falls Ohio and then on to Chatham New Jersey. In third grade, we moved back to Ohio...a small town called Celina. I was a good student and involved in many extra-curricular activities, but baseball (playing...was always my passion). I played various positions all through high school, mainly pitcher, second base and third base. My first job was as a paperboy, delivering the daily newspaper after school on my bicycle to my customers. In high school, I worked at the local IGA (I gyp anybody) supermarket as a bagger/stocker.

I considered several universities and settled on Drake University (in Des Moines) as they were one of the few schools in the country that had a combined Accounting/Actuarial Science major...and my grandparents still lived there, providing me with family close by. At Drake, I soon decided Actuarial Science was not my cup of tea so I became a Finance major as I had always been interested in the stock market. At Drake, I was also a Resident Assistant in my dorm and then became a founding member (and later President) of the local Sigma Chi fraternity. It was in the fraternity that I ended up meeting my future wife...although she was my roommate's girlfriend at the time!

After Drake, I took a job as a Group Manager of Housewares/Linens at Gimbel's Department store in Milwaukee Wisconsin. I eventually became Assistant Buyer of the Toy Department after about 6 months. Well, retail turned out to be long hours and short on pay so I applied to graduate schools, got accepted at the University of Arizona and departed the frigid winter climate of Wisconsin for Arizona. I worked my butt off at UofA and received a Masters of Science degree in Finance in 1 1/2 years. In my last year there, I student taught a beginning Finance class and co-authored an article with my professor Eric Sorensen that was published in the Financial Analysts Journal in 1984...the article was about Dividend Discount Models. After graduation, I landed a job as a Research Analyst with a small OTC broker on Wall Street called Baird Patrick & Sons. I lived in Union New Jersey and commuted by train into the World Trade Center. While working in New York, I began courting my former Sigma Chi roomate's girlfriend. At about the time that she enrolled in grad school at Boston University, I took a new Analyst job (retail and consumer sector was my specialty) with Advest Inc. in Hartford CT. I moved to CT. We got married in the fall of 1989 at a small country inn in South Woodstock Vermont. We have three children.

After 5 years working in Hartford, I took a new job with Swiss American Securities (a unit of Credit Suisse) in midtown New York City. I worked for Swiss American for about 15 years, initially as the Consumer sector analyst but then for the last 7 years as Director of Research. It was during this time that my personal collection of Stephen King books took off. Like all of you, I started small....but one thing led to another and then it became signed books, and signed limited editions....well many of you can identify with that story! I was fortunate to have a great paying job that could fund my interest (well, addiction if the truth is to be told) in Stephen King. Then in late 2004, Credit Suisse decided that they wanted to create a brand new research unit to analyze the US markets for their Private Banking clients, so I created Credit Suisse Research US and headed up that new unit for them. Well, we were doing fine until the markets/economy hit the fan in 2008. At that point, Credit Suisse, looking to cut overhead, decided it was going to provide its US research out of Zurich, not the US, so my entire unit was closed down in spring 2009. So, after 18 years with Credit Suisse, I found myself without a job for the first time in my life. Job hunting was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life...and especially in 2009/2010 hiring in the Financial arena was just horrid.

While looking for a job in late summer/early autumn of 2009, Stu Tinker announced that he was giving up running Betts. I spoke to Stu who knew me for more than a decade as a customer of Betts, I spoke to my wife/family and decided that with my knowledge of the King market, collectors etc. that I would be a great caretaker for Betts. So I bought Betts from Stu in late 2009. Truthfully, Betts is a pretty small business and is not anywhere near big enough to support a family if 5 in CT, so my "real" job search continued. Finally, in October 2010 I landed a Supervisory Analyst position with a New York City brokerage firm, so I work the night shift (Midnight to about 10am), but at least I get to work from home. Still, between the full time SA job, Betts and family time, there is not much extra time in my life.

So, that's an outline of my life. Betts is by far the most fun job I've ever had and I continue to value and enjoy my contact with each of you.

I wish all of you and your families a happy and peaceful holiday season. Thank you for your continuing support of Betts Books.

Your Caretaker,

David

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Don'tcha know David doesn't change the website? He just adds to it.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

David has more willpower than me. I'd have bought Betts and just incorporated EVERYTHING into my collection.

Seriously, that was a pretty entertaining read.

If you rescue me

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Is Betts changing it's Website?
    God I hope so, no offense David, I know you didn't design it but seriously... website development is really not that hard anymore.
    I hardly go there, I can't tell what's new or old, just seems to be confusing.
    Also pictures really close the deal for me, when's the last time anybody ever bought from feebay sight unseen?
    I'm sure somebody here can help you.
    Please please don't be offended, no disrespect intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Don'tcha know David doesn't change the website? He just adds to it.

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Someone is redesigning the website, I can't remember who.

I like the picture idea also (like each item would have a link to a picture), but David is already one busy s.o.b., you know?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Ari is working on it.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

The truth is that the website is ready (the design), but I was unable to have the database updated and converted from it's current format (html).

I really hope to have it ready before the end of the year.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 192 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 83 133 ... LastLast