Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: American Vampire

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Hey !!! I'm one of those weirdo collectors!! And I know for a fact that Marvel aims every single variant and 2nd and 3rd printing cover right at me!!

I'll see if I can find a picture of the 2nd printing and I'll post as soon as I can. The description of the issue just indicates "recolored version of the original cover".

ETA: Here you go :

Personally, I think it would have been cooler if they'd commissioned a whole new cover, but that's me.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

My Mood
    Gay

Artists JH Williams III has previewed the variant cover for American Vampire 4. He's probably my favorite, current, comic artist.

Check this : ( I love that he shows the progress of the cover )

And from JHW3's blog : "This is the color version done by me. I wanted the color use to be unusual. I knew I wanted to use red, white, and blue to be viewed on the cover in that order, from top to bottom of the image. This is the order that we refer to America’s colors in conversation in this country, so it was key to get that across. But I was also dealing with a western image, so using that palette was difficult. But ultimately the strategic placement of those colors and using them in a such surrealist way in tandem with the more traditional western looking comics art really gives it that psychological punch. Bringing it more into a horror concept beyond just the gore of the scene…"

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The black and white sketch is pretty cool too.

Life is a garden...dig it!

My Mood
    Gay

I agree. He does amazing things with shading using only ink. He's a great artist.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I see that Lilja has the cover of the second printing of American Vampire #2 on his site. Any idea on when this is coming out?

John

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Issue #2 of the highly acclaimed new series AMERICAN VAMPIRE written by Scott Snyder and Stephen King and with amazing art by Rafael Albuquerque has sold out! So, for those of you who haven’t read it yet, you have another chance. We’re going back to press and copies will be available July 21!
    http://vertigo.blog.dccomics.com/201...ue-2-sold-out/

What is weird though, is that the cover have "june 2010" on it..

====

http://vertigo.blog.dccomics.com/201...-cover-reveal/
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Jeremy!

John

Gunslinger Apprentice SkippyD023 is on a distinguished road SkippyD023's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So it is my understanding that SK was only writing for the first arc. Does anyone know how many arcs are planned for this series? What are the chances of King writing another arc down the road?

I am trying to decide if I stop getting this comic now that king is done contributing or if I continue with the chance that he might contribute down the road. Any thoughts?

My Mood
    Gay

Hey Skip - I will see what I can find out. Personally, I'm dropping as soon as Sai King is done with his run.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

As am I. The only reason I got it was because of King's participation.

John

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyD023 View Post
    I am trying to decide if I stop getting this comic now that king is done contributing or if I continue with the chance that he might contribute down the road. Any thoughts?
    I'd say it depends on whether or not you like the other guy's contribution. (I haven't read any of it myself yet to judge. I might get the collection at some point.)

I say 'contribution', to be fair, he is the creator of the comic and characters. Strictly speaking it's Mr King who is bringing the contribution.

I did read in an interview King was hoping to come back at some point (I think when the stories reach the 60s or 70s) but I don't know anything definite.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

It's a good comic with two equally good writters. If SK jumped off a cliff would you too? I thought it was about the story and not the author? Seriously, how many of us would even know it was SK writting if his name wasn't credited? How many of us would know if he SK did a 'pepsi challenge' and switched out the stories with Snyder? It worked in The Talisman when Straub and King mimicked each other's styles.

I understand what you're saying from a collectors point but the story is either good or it's not, regardless of who's writting it. Lastly, if the issue that just came out is SK's last issue than his run was just a chapter in a book. I felt the last issue didn't really bring any closure and the last panel actually set the new arc up quite nicely. Why stop now? You won't know what happened and if SK comes back and he said he'd like too, you'll be left with a gap in the story.

Final note... AC/DC didn't stop when Bon Scott passed away. They actually put out their masterpiece (BIB) with the new guy and are still going strong. You either like them or you don't. Fact is they still bring it. Same could be said for this comic. Seriously, do the pepsi challenge and see if you can even tell the difference.

My Mood
    Gay

Well.... I wouldnt' jump off the cliff, no - but I do have to have some kind of criteria for collecting and reading. There are only so many hours in the day. What attracted me to the title was Sai King's participation in the first place.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Each story takes about 10 minutes tops to read. Like I said, the story is either good or it's not, regardless of who wrote it.

My Mood
    Gay

Um... my comic shop hates it when I just stand there and read their books for free!!

I know it doesn't take long, but still - I'm about reading and collecting. That costs money as well as time. And space to put the comics when I'm done, and something to store them in... I should have mentioned.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

"It is the story, not he who tells it."

Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere.

John

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I haven't decided if I will continue with them or not. My compulsiveness tells me I must have every issue (even the non King issues) in order to have a complete set.

Life is a garden...dig it!

My Mood
    Gay

My thing is - I am getting them CGC graded, so that a big pop every month. Then, I get a copy to read, and then a copy to bag and board and put away. It really adds up. I have to be picky, and I just can't see myself keeping up if Sai King steps away.

John - You're sig'd my friend! That's awesome!

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Taking that into consideration, it makes sense to limit what you buy.

I'm not really a collector myself. I just buy what I'm going to read, although I have taken measures to store it well. In the case of the DT comics, I tend to order them via e-bay and they usually come bagged and boarded already. At some point I actually hope to put them in magazine binders (this kinda thing, although A4 size is a bit big for American comics) , kind of create the illusion of a graphic novel collection without forking out for the collection separately.

The only other comic I buy regularly is 2000 AD each week. I used to get that on subscription and it only ever arrived in an envelope, no board or anything! I just store those in boxes, I've never bothered to board them. I recently found out Ikea sell A4 size boxes for 69p! They're just fold up things but they're fairly strong and they do the job well.

Buying em is a bit of a bind as you have to go to the store. I have one fairly local to me, but Croydon is still a 2 bus trip each way. More than the cost of the box, but they're quite big.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    John - You're sig'd my friend! That's awesome!
    I'm honored, Pam. Thanks!

John

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm going to stick with the series for now. Personally, I enjoyed Snyder's story a lot more than King's. King's story started to pick up steam in the last two issues but then he left. And I'm much more interested in Pearl as a character than Skinner Sweet, who is pretty much a one-dimensional douchebag.

I would like to see King write more comics in the future, though.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I think I will stick with comic even after SK leaves. I will admit, the only reason I started reading the comic was because I heard that SK was going to write in a few issues. Once I started reading the comic, I was hooked! The idea of an "American Vampire" from the old west intrigues me! (I am so tired of the European, snobby, rich vampire. I am also tired of the nice, sweet Edward Twilight type vampire!) I also love the character Pearl and I can't wait to see her get her revenge on the nasty Europeans! I am also curious to see how Skinner and Pearl will evolve throughout the future decades of the comic.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    If SK jumped off a cliff would you too?
    My mother used to ask me this question (not in reference to King). The answer is simple really...it depends on how high the cliff is exactly.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    If SK jumped off a cliff would you too?
    My mother used to ask me this question (not in reference to King). The answer is simple really...it depends on how high the cliff is exactly.
    $3 a month.

My Mood
    Gay

American Vampire is $3.99 USD, an issue. Just sayin.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast