Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Can robots have feelings?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they can.

23 54.76%
  • No, they can't.

19 45.24%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Andy

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Sometimes you have the best typos.

Rouge is red, I think what you meant was rogue.

That was my laugh for the day.
    I just wanted to prove it was me who typod the towerpedia!

Not sure it was necessary though

I think AI is the kind of technology that humans will take out of the box and never be able to get back in. Like nuclear weapons.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Yeah, he was a supercilious fuck, for sure. I find that really irritating.
    Yeah, well you just don't understand Andy. I guess only I do. He took a lot of folks abuse for just offering to give them fortunes and sing them songs..
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess I could see that side of it

The Master sai blaine is on a distinguished road sai blaine's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Yeah, he was a supercilious fuck, for sure. I find that really irritating.
    Yeah, well you just don't understand Andy. I guess only I do. He took a lot of folks abuse for just offering to give them fortunes and sing them songs..
    Here here! Support our fellow machines

So, earthlings..basically urm...end of the world...Here Come The Drums!

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I think machines with AI can develop something akin to "feelings," and Andy definitely showed signs of this. Whether or not these feelings could ever cause a machine to undergo any kind of psychic tension about their actions is another question, but on some level Andy enjoyed the havoc he was wreaking and machine or not, I feel this made him a dick.

The Master sai blaine is on a distinguished road sai blaine's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Andy is to human feelings as Oy is to human speech

So, earthlings..basically urm...end of the world...Here Come The Drums!

Citizen of Gilead blackrose22 is on a distinguished road blackrose22's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Andy as robot isn't bad it's just the way he was programmed to perform. Also i don't think robots will ever have true emotions or feelings no matter how well they advance in years to come. They might have a basic understanding of what feelings and emotions are but never truly be emotional themselves. Human emotions are a life time of learning and experience and a lot of people still don't understand their own emotions or what makes them the way the are.
    It may happen some day but no time soon. HAL from 2001 is a long way off.
    As story lines with robots and AI computers you should read Iain M Banks Culture books as a lot of the characters are sentient robots and computers who run everything in the Culture along side the people.

i don't think andy was programmed to enjoy what he was doing, which he clearly did. it's too easy to write him off as a machine. his dealings with slightman at the dogan show that there is more to andy than programming.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    i don't think andy was programmed to enjoy what he was doing, which he clearly did. it's too easy to write him off as a machine. his dealings with slightman at the dogan show that there is more to andy than programming.
    Well put. I think its important to remember that Andy represents one of the more sci-fi elements of the DT series. There is nothing analogous in our present time to compare the ways that robots are portrayed in the books.

I liked Brian's point about robots being made by humans who are flawed. I think King is exploring some of the implications that more complicated machines might present in this regard i.e. the more complex the machine, the more capable it will be of possessing human flaws- and yes, emotions if it pleases ya.

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    Well put. I think its important to remember that Andy represents one of the more sci-fi elements of the DT series. There is nothing analogous in our present time to compare the ways that robots are portrayed in the books.

I liked Brian's point about robots being made by humans who are flawed. I think King is exploring some of the implications that more complicated machines might present in this regard i.e. the more complex the machine, the more capable it will be of possessing human flaws- and yes, emotions if it pleases ya.
    definitely. it all goes to illustrate the lack of foresight of the Old People. they had great tech prowess, but lacked requisite forethought on the implications of their creations which outlasted their society.

definitely. it all goes to illustrate the lack of foresight of the Old People. they had great tech prowess, but lacked requisite forethought on the implications of their creations which outlasted their society.
    Certainly a warning flare by Sai King. That's why I'd love for the comics to go into a deeper history of the Old People. They are the most intriguing for me, personally. Its a theme in King: the Stand, Cell, etc...

Certainly a warning flare by Sai King. That's why I'd love for the comics to go into a deeper history of the Old People. They are the most intriguing for me, personally. Its a theme in King: the Stand, Cell, etc...
    i think the new arc of the comics will be touching on this as they seem to be into dogans and robots in the "extra stuff at the back" section this time around

i think the new arc of the comics will be touching on this as they seem to be into dogans and robots in the "extra stuff at the back" section this time around
    Thanks for the info.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Anyone know anything about shintoism? Apparently the Japanese shintoists believe everything has a "soul".. even inanimate objects. Even robots. In one of Clive Cussler's books, they even gave the robots names which the robots themselves knew.
    I don't know, with a machine so anthrophomorphosized (sp.???) it is hard not to develop feelings for them, whether they be good or bad. It is very human to try and humanize others, even when they're inanimate.
    The battle between love/hate is very apparent in the Terminator series and tv shows as well as in Star Trek: The Next Generation.
    But can you ever really trust something that can be programmed to feel differently than it would originally? Wouldn't this be a form of mental disorder? Going crazy, like Blaine?
    I think, that they, just like us, are not at fault because of the brain losing itself. Genetic/electronic factors are evident.
    It is only when a robot surpasses its own progamming and comes up with its own ideas of things that it becomes conscious and then I think we REALLY need to worry about it.

Along the Path of the Beam Babymordred121 is on a distinguished road Babymordred121's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think the robots definitely had feelings, but that those feelings were completely outside of their control. I'm guessing most robots were originally programmed to enjoy serving humans, and to generally act pleasantly. Because their emotions were dictated by their programming, they wouldn't really be able to grow emotionally or change their personal opinions on things without being reprogrammed. The only real "growth" they could hope to experience would be for their programming to degrade to the point that they either went insane or lost their sense of ethics.
    "I serve only one masta: DAAKNESS" - Peter Boil, Swashbuckler

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

The word "feelings" can mean a lot of different things. Even if robots can be made to have emotions, would they automatically possess all the same ones that humans experience? I think we want to know here whether robots can have empathy, love and compassion. You can program a robot to sacrifice itself for a person, but when it does so, that doesn't mean that the robot cares about that person. What it means is that the programmer cares about that person. There's no reason to assume that the robot would even care about itself. In order for a robot to be heroic, it would have to value self-preservation and still be able to decide to put others first. But can such an ability be manufactured? The very idea of "programming self-determination" presents a contradiction.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Heartless? You mean there are robots who have a heart?
    Anyway...
    I have asked it before not here but I am interested in your opinion:
    Can robots have feelings?
    What about the "Tin Man"? He got a heart!!! LOL

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he may the first Robot to ever appear in literature, no?

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

More of a cyborg, wasn't he?

What about Pinocchio?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Pinnochio was a puppet. I guess you could make a stretch and say he was a form of Robot, but that's a big stretch. Metal is sort of the prerequisite for a robot no? LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

No. Lots of robots are made of plastic. Why should they have to be made of metal? What about Data on ST:TNG? Robot, yes?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    No. Lots of robots are made of plastic. Why should they have to be made of metal? What about Data on ST:TNG? Robot, yes?
    Are we really having this conversation? LOL

Beside's under the plastic, Data is mostly metal!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Are we really having this conversation? LOL

Beside's under the plastic, Data is mostly metal!! LOL
    You have a point, about the convo!! LOL But let me chime in here anyway, I love Data and if you remember the end of the series, Data did finally get his "emotion chip".

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok, I give!!!!

LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok, I give!!!!

LOL
    'bout time!!

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by blavigne View Post
    Ok, I give!!!!

LOL
    'bout time!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast