Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) 2009

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

Default National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) 2009

About NaNoWriMo:

National Novel Writing Month is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to novel writing. Participants begin writing November 1. The goal is to write a 175-page (50,000-word) novel by midnight, November 30.

Valuing enthusiasm and perseverance over painstaking craft, NaNoWriMo is a novel-writing program for everyone who has thought fleetingly about writing a novel but has been scared away by the time and effort involved.

Because of the limited writing window, the ONLY thing that matters in NaNoWriMo is output. It's all about quantity, not quality. The kamikaze approach forces you to lower your expectations, take risks, and write on the fly.

Make no mistake: You will be writing a lot of crap. And that's a good thing. By forcing yourself to write so intensely, you are giving yourself permission to make mistakes. To forgo the endless tweaking and editing and just create. To build without tearing down.
    I think this sounds fun, is anyone here doing this? It also sounds crazy and unrealistic, but I'm always up for that.

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've wanted to participate for a several years now. Mayhap now I'll do it at last.

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm dying to participate, but know I will be too busy for this...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Never heard of it. *thinks for a-sec* Sure, I think I will.

Maybe I'll become the next Jack Kerouac.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I'm dying to participate, but know I will be too busy for this...

I'm so sure you would've written something heart-breakingly beautiful.

path, awesome! If any of you participates, tell your author names as well.

*whispers* mine is liisasy

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I've done it twice. Once I planned the book out and wrote to a mental outline to keep me on track every day. The second time I had about 9 days at the end of the month where I wrote 4-8000 words a day that got me to the finish line.

Country
    Country Flag

This made me giggle.

1) I hereby acknowledge that I am capable of amazing feats of literary output in ridiculously short amounts of time. When the going gets tough this November, I will keep writing, and I will not stop until I reach 50,000 words. Or until my arms fall off. At which point I will type with my nose.
    3) I promise to have fun this November. To give myself permission to make mistakes, write some deeply imperfect prose, and not beat myself up over every word and paragraph. Life is short. The world needs my novel. This fall, I will get it written.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

this sounds really cool, i may just give it a go. (i am one of those people that always wanted to write a novel but ended up binning it half way through because i thought it was rubbish)

Liisa have you done this before then?
    Ola are you signing up for it?

Country
    Country Flag

Nope, haven't done this before, so I'm really excited to give it a try. It'd be great if you'd participating too!

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lily-sai View Post
    Nope, haven't done this before, so I'm really excited to give it a try. It'd be great if you'd participating too!
    i am in!!!! manxgirl is my name.

i am a bit peeved as mr c says he has no faith that i can do it. so i am going to do it just to proove him wrong

Country
    Country Flag

worry not, I believe in you. then mr c will be peeved when you've done it.

Somehow I missed all these responses!

candy: I just signed up. The last story I wrote was in high school (some bits and pieces since then), I used to want to be a fantasy writer and then lost confidence...so I feel like I should at least give it a try. I have a few ideas stored away for something like this. I'm glad you're in!

My user name is same as here (ola).

Country
    Country Flag

I'm excited and a bit nervous, too.
    But I'll do what I can do - until my arms fall off and then I'll type with my nose. ^^

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

path, awesome! If any of you participates, tell your author names as well.
    Dük Maturin *lol*

Country
    Country Flag

YAY! \o/

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

oh this is so cool, this is going to be fun.
    Without giving anything away (if you dont want to) has anyone got any ideas?
    i have a few bubbling around but nothing definate yet

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

bears are very excited, please don't give up anyone, post track of your progress

Lily-sai, is your user name the same as here? I searched and couldn't find it. :/

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

There's an existing Nanowrimo thread if you want to merge, Jean http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...read.php?t=685

I'd forgotten about it this year, I think I'm still on there as Shadowself, I'll have to check...

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    There's an existing Nanowrimo thread if you want to merge, Jean http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...read.php?t=685

I'd forgotten about it this year, I think I'm still on there as Shadowself, I'll have to check...
    thank you love! I was going to merge them after this season was through

To avoid confusion, I will also rename this thread, adding the year, if ola doesn't object

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    oh this is so cool, this is going to be fun.
    Without giving anything away (if you dont want to) has anyone got any ideas?
    i have a few bubbling around but nothing definate yet
    http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/526420

Default Warm-up writing (in 200 words or less!)

If anyone is raring to go, I liked this warm-up idea:

"I thought that while we waited for November, we could write 'practice scenes' in under two hundred words to get better acquainted with our (and each other's!) stories. Not to be used for the November word count... but it's one thing to list the hero's traits and quite another to demonstrate them.

So, here's my challenge: write a scene in under two hundred words that epitomizes a character, a relationship, or maybe just the tone of the story you wanted to work on"..."The simpler, the better."
    Edit: here is the thread since it probably makes more sense to do it there:
    http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node/3271442

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

*whispers* mine is liisasy
    Quote Originally Posted by ola View Post
    Lily-sai, is your user name the same as here? I searched and couldn't find it. :/
    hope this helps ola? i have got liisa as a writing buddy now so just take a look on mine

Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast