Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 170 of 170 FirstFirst ... 70 120 160 168 169 170
Results 4,226 to 4,239 of 4239

Thread: Book Collection: ur2ndbiggestfan

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    Floating dragon -- floating balloon?
    All that and more.
    The more I learn, the less I [REDACTED].

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Alright: you didn't ask for this, but as a public service, I present...

The Collected Similarities of Peter Straub's Floating Dragon and Stephen King's It
    (anyone who hasn't read either of these but might do so is warned: many spoilers behind this spoiler tag)

Spoiler:
    Roughly every 30 years, an evil being with the ability to hide its true form returns to a secluded town to murder, and feed on, its residents.

The current trouble manifests, in part, by local children coming to bad ends.

A group of ordinary people in the town:
    …bond to fight the evil being
    …find that they are stronger together.
    …no adult member of this group has yet had children.

One member of this group is a long-time town resident:
    …whose work involves books
    …who is interested in the cyclical events and knows more about them than the rest of the group
    …who learned some of the history of the cycle from a conversation with an elderly person fluent with the town’s history

This history includes a disaster:
    …in a place whose name begins with ‘K’
    …which didn’t seem as if it could have been caused by an individual
    …in which multiple people died
    …in which several of the deaths were children
    …in which many victims’ bodies ended up underground.

Only one group member is female; she:
    …suffers physical abuse at the hands of her husband, which ends before battle with the evil being commences.
    …bonded individually with each male in the group (the males did not bond with each other)

Group members witness:
    …the pleading voice of a child known by the witnessing character to be dead.
    …a book containing historical information opening itself and moving its pages.
    …images shown to them by the evil entity, which they then banished by declaring their unreality.

A moon with a face spoke to one of the group’s enemies.

The group sets out to kill the evil being at a bad, creepy house.

In the process of pursuing and battling the evil being, the group:
    …finds a creepy, ancient-looking door through which they must pass to truly commence battle
    …suffers personalized, despair-inducing hallucinations
    …learns that the evil being had babies, which they then attempt to kill

After the evil is vanquished:
    …widespread destruction occurs throughout the town
    …the ground opens up
    …buildings fall down
    …the group gathers in a circle
    …the group is not able to stay together
    …(later) one group member has a child.

Last but not least: the prominence and significance of the word “float”; we’ve gone from a single floating thing (a dragon, to be specific) to anything Pennywise comes across (“we all float”). The phrase “we all” seems like King’s statement of intent to help himself to Straub’s ideas.

(I compiled this almost 8 years ago; hopefully there are no errors.)

The funny thing is, the novels are incredibly different (unlike comparing The Stand to McCammon's Swan Song, which cover similar ground).

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

IT was published 4 years after FLOATING DRAGON.
    Do you think King & Straub did this on purpose? I think it's possible.
    I find it interesting I didn't buy the U/M edition of FLOATING DRAGON. I was on really good terms with Chuck Miller at the time with all their Vance books, but was mainly concentrating on their Vance and King offerings.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    IT was published 4 years after FLOATING DRAGON.
    Do you think King & Straub did this on purpose? I think it's possible.
    My hunch is that they didn't do it on purpose, but that if anyone did it was King (not Straub), coming second as he (King) did, but given their relationship, we certainly can't rule it out.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

This conversation led me to a related serendipitous search, and to my utter astonishment, I found a set of books I never knew existed, and had I known, would have been searching for for years, which I immediately bought!
    I will say no more, lest I jinx myself, but will post a picture once they arrive.
    On a side note, they mean a heck of a lot more to me than probably anyone else on this site. (Darn, now I said more, the jinx is in!)
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Exciting !

I know the feeling. Like a couple of years ago I found something I had been on the lookout for over a decade !
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Exciting !

I know the feeling. Like a couple of years ago I found something I had been on the lookout for over a decade !
    Finally found those car keys, huh?

Slip in your DVDs and whip out your magnifying glasses.
    Guaranteed screen-used prop from JOHN WICK 4 (my first and most likely last), Killa Harkan's Gold Coin Roll (one of them anyway) which was next to his Cheating Poker Hand (which someone else has):

https://i.imgur.com/cMNMTYh.jpeg

Here's the set of books I found that I wasn't looking for and didn't even know existed and probably no one but me cares about, being a HUGE Robert Bloch fan.
    One of 11 leather-bound, numbered and signed sets:

https://i.imgur.com/IhnLN6P.jpeg

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

--- set of books I found that I wasn't looking for

This is dangerous for the bank account

Right you are, Frank!

Everything I got in the last week or so, unless I missed something, which is possible:

https://i.imgur.com/qaa7KRI.jpeg

I missed something.
    One of 15 advance review copies of Robert Bloch's STRANGE EONS, plus another lettered copy (already had one), and two pieces of original artwork from the book:

https://i.imgur.com/p67JuHx.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/9kSryiK.jpeg
    https://i.imgur.com/Mo9XfXX.jpeg

DTIV: WIZARD and GLASS, Plume uncorrected proof, consisting of a proof dust jacket wrapped around the glued text block:

https://i.imgur.com/4cfUnQ1.jpeg
    https://i.imgur.com/JW1bF3c.jpeg

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

Never seen one of those before Steve!
    Just love items like that.
    First class.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 170 of 170 FirstFirst ... 70 120 160 168 169 170