Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stargate Universe

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Stargate Universe

well let me start off this thread by saying how unbelievably excited i am about the start of this series (debuts in the UK on Tuesday) and how i am also extremely nervous?

Why i can hear you ask? well let me tell you - are you all sitting comfortabley?

Way back when, when i was a little lass i watched a film called Stargate which i loved with a passion.
    A series started based on this film, which i watched from day one and have rewatched many many many times, dependant on how much i love a particular episode i could name it for you just from the pre title scene

I even watched it when richard dean anderson left and was replaced by ben browder and they brought in Vala (whose character i hated - but i digress)

Then along came Atlantis, which i loved just as much. Not the same but like you love two different pets - differently

I was most upset when Stargate SG1 ended, but have contented myself with the films, not that they have answered all my questions, but we live in hope - and i still had Atlantis. Then this was also cancelled

now then along comes universe, and as you can imagine little candy is getting a tad excited about a new Stargate series written and directed by the same people. I am a little but nervous on hearing certain things but still excited

But tonight i get home and my TV magazine says
    'Sc-Fi is about to be prised out of the hands of the geeks, thanks to SG Universe. Following on from the success of Battlestar galactica, SG has gone grown up and sexy'

So you can see why i am a wee bt nervous that the ptb have taken over my SG to present it to a non sc-fi audience. WHY WHY WHY/???/?/

i shall however keep you posted

Spoiler:
    whether you want me to or not

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ironically, i must admit that i am looking forward to Universe. But it must be noted that I'm not a fan anyway, so you might want to take that as a very bad sign, candy!

Not that I've hated the show before, it's just that there's so many episodes it was kind of hard to keep track, and it never seemed to grab me as, say, another family scifi show (that stars David Tennant) has.

The fact that Universe has Robert Carlyle in it, using his own scottish accent, is enough to make me want to watch the show. The fact that it might be aimed at a more mature audience than both SG-1 and Atlantis has also intrigued me. But i don't blame you candy for being worried: being a fan of a certain family show (that has daleks) I can certainly say that i would be mortified if i found out they were going to take away the family audience and change it to a more "grown-up" one. So if you do hate it, then I'll just say you will have my sympathies, candy, on one of your favourite shows being ruined forever.

Spoiler:
    Won't stop me from watching it if i like it, though.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I am looking forward to it. I hope I make it to watch it tonight, but if not, we'll tape it and watch it tomorrow!!!!!! I love Stargate!!!!!

'til the end of the world rosie real is on a distinguished road rosie real's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i follow john scalzi's blog pretty faithfully and he's got a topic up tonight about the show ('ware the spoilers!). he posted previously about how he got the gig. and then had two posts where he answered questions about the job.

his is one of the half dozen or so blogs i read on a regular basis.
    Last edited by rosie real; 10-02-2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: i'm an idiot. that's why.

. . . but i'm paralyzed with not caring very much.
    ~ spike

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have heard of Stargate, but have never watched it. Is it anything like Star Trek? That is one show I do not like. I don't really know why because I like shows like that but just don't like star trek.

Demon of the Prim Ruki is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

oh god i forgot that was tonight!!! my reminder for it was set on the slimebag's phone

'til the end of the world rosie real is on a distinguished road rosie real's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

hulu ruki. hulu.

. . . but i'm paralyzed with not caring very much.
    ~ spike

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mia/susannah View Post
    I have heard of Stargate, but have never watched it. Is it anything like Star Trek? That is one show I do not like. I don't really know why because I like shows like that but just don't like star trek.
    not really, i mean its still sc fi dealing with aliens and stuff. But i love it more for its stories about the characters and the humour.

Quote Originally Posted by rosie real View Post
    i follow john scalzi's blog pretty faithfully and he's got a topic up tonight about the show ('ware the spoilers!). he posted previously about how he got the gig. and then had two posts where he answered questions about the job.

his is one of the half dozen or so blogs i read on a regular basis.
    i'm tempted but the ware the spoilers is putting me off. i am even turning over now when the teasers are on tv because they are getting longer and longer. I saw O'neill (2 l's) on one of the teasers today for goodness sake.

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I like sci fi and show about aliens so long as it is not Star Trek

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

only 24 hours to go

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Loved the premiere, wanted more! .....I'm a Stargate junkie from day one...

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post
    Loved the premiere, wanted more! .....I'm a Stargate junkie from day one...
    yeah a fellow stargate junkie
    i am now sat waiting for the premier. phone off the hook, mr c bound and gagged so as not to disturb me

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Default update

well..................

i am torn, as a stargate franchise i am holding back on making a decision
    the cast seemed very young, the camera angles were all the jumpy ones that are apparantley all the rage now - but maybe i am just getting older#

atlantis and universe spoiler
    Spoiler:
    the premier was exactly the same story line as the first episode of atlantis though, ship boarded/ breaks down / air cons going / nerds will win out / bad guy who may be a good guy / SHIP needs repairs hmmmm

BUT if it was a stand alone programme that took away all the references to the star gate it would not be my cup of tea at all. so yep the jury is out at the moment. But i shall give it a good try and keep you all posted, because i just know that you are sat on the edge of your seat waiting for my updates

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

it was an ok episode for a premier. i could have done without the flashbacks, back stories and such. they could have just gone and did it linear and that would have been a lot better for me in my opinion.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

well so far so bleugh!!!!
    the characters are all so bloody dislikable, the back stories are really boring me and the story line is just 'been there - done that'

i am going to keep with it in the hope that it will eventually redeem itself, but i have no high hopes at the moment. i can see love stories coming a mile off and i feel like its being shoved down my throat with a sledge hammer.

Basically, its not Stargate and i would have been happier if they had not used it in the title. It has nothing familiar about it at all

Now for a good new series where the characters are flawed but have more depth, look up defying gravity. I only watched the pilot and i am hooked.

But i will be back same time next week to let you know thoughts so far on SGU

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

ok. thoughts so far?

SGU SUCKS

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

the show is too predictable. i could tell you what the episode was going to be about when it showed the opening scene.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I understand what you guys are saying about it but I still enjoy it. But wtf, I also liked Waterworld and Battlefield Earth and LOVED Farscape

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

its the fact that ALL the characters are so dislikable. have they made them that way on purpose? i really dont feel for anyone of them, and certainly dont care one way or another if they find there way home

the love story is so forced and as you say myst so predictable, i may have been a little more involved if they hadn't gone for those two.

also if they spent more time with the people on the ship than the whole, coming back to earth to sort out their soap opera affairs i may feel more too

i know they were trying to do something different, but i wish if they had used the stargate name they would actually use the stargate.

i understand they are setting up characters and situations, but they should not be taking the whole first series to do it. i have a few more episodes in my planner, but honestly i am inclined to just delete. **sigh** but i wont, because i dont like to give up that easily

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    its the fact that ALL the characters are so dislikable.

All of them EXCEPT for Brian J. Smith who plays Lt. Scott. WOOF!!!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    i understand they are setting up characters and situations, but they should not be taking the whole first series to do it. i have a few more episodes in my planner, but honestly i am inclined to just delete. **sigh** but i wont, because i dont like to give up that easily
    It's probably suffering from what I like to call SSSS: Second Season Spinoff Syndrome. A LOT of good spinoffs i've watched - including Torchwood and Ashes to Ashes - had a god awful first series. It's mainly because it can be difficult to (a) try and find its own identity whilst (b) keeping the fans of the original happy, otherwise why be a spinoff in the first place and not be a completely original show? This is especially true if the original was a family friendly show and the spinoff tries to be "edgy" and "more mature".

My advice, candy: wait until the 2nd season. Wait for the writers to realise their mistakes, and work out how to do a mature and edgy spinoff right. Remember how much better series 2 of Torchwood was compared to series 1? Trust me, sometimes it can take a full season for a spinoff to be good.

Unless it gets cancelled, which considering how boring the first few episodes were (even with Robert Carlyle in them!), it wouldn't surprise me. Especially with over 20 episodes per season in America, leaving little chance for the writers to get a grip on it. Hmmm. Well, for those who like the show: fingers crossed!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

you know doc, i dont think its even with that. with torchwood and atlantis i was a little meh to start with but not for this long, and not to this level.

hey ho, a part of me is hopeful it will all come good, i will keep watching, just because it is stargate and i so want them to make it right. i understand that a lot of people still like it and i am not hoping it will fail. even though an insy winsey tiny part of me thinks if it does they may bring back atlantis, i know i am wrong. and as they have now cancelled the last SG film and the first atlantis film (postponed was their word but i see cancelled on the horizon) this is the only stargate fix i have **sigh**

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I will say this for them, they made me want to keep watching last night. the tension between Rush and Young finally came to a head.
    Spoiler:
    Young and Rush on the planet with the alien ship and getting into a fight and him leaving Rush to his devices "wink wink"
    i will be waiting for the next episode to see what happens.

Country
    Country Flag

So far, about 3 or 4 episodes into the season, I'm still liking it.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

we have been on a HUGE break, its just restarted, and currently in my planner to watch

it says a lot that its still there after a week and i am watching reruns of atlantis instead

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast