Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: Multiplayer vs. Single Player

Gunslinger Apprentice ArtherEld is on a distinguished road ArtherEld's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Multiplayer vs. Single Player

This is kind of one of those things people talk about that categorizes two types of gamers: those who prefer single player and those who prefer multiplayer.

Me I lean more towards single player. I like the long campaigns, interractive story, and basically going at my own pace with it. Even if I play a campaign in multiplayer, I doubt any partners would sit around and wait for me to read the collectible journal entries and finish watching the entire cinematics. Although, when I go through a game one time, I don't have to do all that, so I prefer to at least play through like Resident Evil 5 or ODST by myself once, then I'll play with other people. And it's fine. Occasionally I like the multiplayer match games like capture the flag or deathmatches. Stayed up till the birds started chirping one time playing Counter Strike Source in college.

But... okay, here's the thing that gets me. There are people who get games who have never even played through the campaign. Not even in multiplayer mode. Just go straight to the matches.

I was playing Starcraft online in college (like ten years ago I think), and I was talking to the other players I was playing with like, "Yeah, I hope they come out with another game soon and go into the whole thing with Sarah Kerrigan."

And one guy was like, "Who the hell is Sarah Kerrigan?"

I was like, "Um... that's a character in the game. Like kind of the main nemesis to the humans..."

He was like, "Oh... never played the actual game."

How? How do you buy a game and never bother playing through the actual game? Anyone else know someone like this? Anyone else like this? I won't flame. I just don't really get it. Seems like a waste of money. People tore apart Wolfenstein because it was horrible multiplayer. I never cared because the game itself was addictive.

Then again there's the people who guy a game like Halo, that has a good campaign, but the Halo games are actually more popular for their multiplayer, and the customer never plays it. That's kind of a waste of money too.

Citizen of Gilead sleeplessdwarf is on a distinguished road sleeplessdwarf's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was a single player growing up. Zelda was my game of choice even in my 20s. With the Once I played Tiger Woods online with the ps2, I was hooked on competition. now it is the ps3 with Call of Duty. My main past time in life is shooting pool and playing golf. So I love to play others. Nothing in the video game makes me happier than to spot just the tip of the head of some slick sniper who thinks he is well hidden, the put one in his helmet. Even bettr if he is wearing a mic so I can hear him get upset.

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was a MMORPGer from the release of UO until I got married 3 years ago. Played UO, DAOC, and Lineage II.

Now I play Age of Empire II once in a while if I have alone time.

So to answer the question, I was a Multiplayer when I was younger and had time, Singleplayer now, the once every six months I get alone time.
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ArtherEld View Post
    I was playing Starcraft online in college (like ten years ago I think), and I was talking to the other players I was playing with like, "Yeah, I hope they come out with another game soon and go into the whole thing with Sarah Kerrigan."

Ok...a bit off topic but I have to ask. When you click on Kerrigan and she says, "I'm ready" doesn't she sound like she's naked on her hands and knees, looking back over her shoulder at the guy whose about to nail her with a ginormous penis?

Or is that just me?

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Depends on a few things
    1. how god is the multiplayer compared to singleplayer? Does MP have a story or plotline still?
    2. what type of Multiplayer? PvP or PvE? I enjoy the PvP and deathmatch shooters, but if the AI is good, or it's an RPG, I'd prefer to team up to take down enemies, support each other, make plans, etc.
    3. Does the game extent into a community, or is it one time battles and never see these people again? the MMO I frequent is completely based around community interaction, which is why I love it.

Super Saiyan Mark is on a distinguished road Mark's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't tend to play FPS's singleplayer. I'd rather play them online, or at least co-op. The only FPS's i play singleplayer are Far Cry 2, and fallout, if you can class that as an FPS. I will play COD through once though.
    2:45 am- 11th February 2008- I Finished The Dark Tower

Gunslinger Apprentice ArtherEld is on a distinguished road ArtherEld's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cozener View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtherEld View Post

Ok...a bit off topic but I have to ask. When you click on Kerrigan and she says, "I'm ready" doesn't she sound like she's naked on her hands and knees, looking back over her shoulder at the guy whose about to nail her with a ginormous penis?

Or is that just me?
    Lol. There's also what she says when you tell her to go somewhere: "My pleasure."

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I swear they do that shit on purpose...the bastards.

Oh and about people that don't play the campaigns...

I don't see how they do it. I use the campaigns to teach me how to play the game.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Multiplayer is interesting because you aren't playing against A.I. That appeals to me for a plethora of reasons, mostly relating to game theory, but it would be boring for you all to read.

I think the reason that some people skip the campaign is because gaming has only broken into the mainstream recently. Almost every demographic plays the big shooters like Call of Duty and Halo. Further, games like Madden also have a wide appeal. Oversimplifying: jocks and nerds plays these types of games, hard core and casual gamers alike. Some of the people I play multiplayer with have logged two or three hundred hours in Modern Warfare and don't have a single trophy on their hard drive. Single player appeals to 'real' gamers that play different genres and are looking for an immersive experience beyond social connectivity/competition.

For the record, I prefer a good single player experience, but I'm not half bad at most multiplayers.