Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Will You Take The Swine Flu Vaccine When It Becomes Available?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 25.00%
  • No

33 63.46%
  • Undecided

6 11.54%
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Swine Flu Vaccine

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Swine Flu Vaccine

Will you get the shot when it becomes available? I'm old and can remember all the people dying and being paralyzed and having deformed babies in the 1970s because of the swine flu vaccine. Then there's all the Gulf War veterans and that "syndrome" probably caused by all the vaccines they had to get.

I think I'd rather take my chances with the flu. I don't get flu shots any more. For 4 years I got the shots and for 4 years I got the worst flu of my life.

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post
    Will you get the shot when it becomes available? I'm old and can remember all the people dying and being paralyzed and having deformed babies in the 1970s because of the swine flu vaccine. Then there's all the Gulf War veterans and that "syndrome" probably caused by all the vaccines they had to get.

I think I'd rather take my chances with the flu. I don't get flu shots any more. For 4 years I got the shots and for 4 years I got the worst flu of my life.
    Exactly. That's what happened to me too - only twice, though. After stopping taking vaccinations, no more flu.
    But I do hope that nowadays the vaccine is more developed than in 70's, because kids and elderly people will need it. I'm strong enough to fight against the flu, but they aren't.

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The swine flu vaccine will not be available to the general public only older adults and children with a respriatory condition, at least that is what my doctor said. He recommends that I get the flu shot and the swine flu shot(s) when available because I already have a COPD. I have never had a flu shot and don't think I am going to get one although my company is giving flu shots this year free of charge.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I have had the flu exactly once in my life, when I was about 8 years old. I apparently seem to be mostly immune to it. I have never had a flu shot nor will I ever get one. I'm not tempting fate.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

'til the end of the world rosie real is on a distinguished road rosie real's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i'm not allowed to get either vaccine (regular flu or h1n1). but i wouldn't even if i was allowed. i just don't need anything else thanks.

*shudders at the thought of it*

. . . but i'm paralyzed with not caring very much.
    ~ spike

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I will definitely be getting the vaccine. My wife is 62 and a cancer patient. She needs the vaccine because of that, and I need it since I'm her caregiver. I've never gotten the flu after getting a vaccine. I've had it a few times in my life though.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

No , and it is my firm belief that this vaccine is what will kill you , not the flu!
    Our bodies are naturally equipped to take care of us, that is what we have antibodies for.
    When we create things that are counter productive to nature , we pay the price with catastrophe! I urge all of you to consider this, and think long and hard before allowing this untested poison into your body. It is made by those that would have you in a state of fear, and to look to them to help you. You do not need their help, you may however imo need help from them very soon . Sorry to be preachy ...but you asked.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

whooooa easy there seabiscuit

i wouldnt get the shot for the simple reason that most healthy people (besides infants and old folks) have nothing to worry about from swine. it's just not that hard on us. and the flu shot is just plain stupid. take a shot and get the flu, which is some cases is a very bad flu. or risk it and have a fifty percent chance of not even getting the damned thing. hmmmm, let's think on that
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I致e been setting on, I知 scared by the way that my life is getting gone

'til the end of the world rosie real is on a distinguished road rosie real's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

actually, not everyone has a body that is naturally equipped to take care of them. sometimes the body loses that ability, whether through injury, illness, medication or whatever. so some people do need vaccines. and conversely (and perversely i think), sometimes the body can't handle the vaccines because it is freaking out and attacking itself. so no, not every body is naturally equipped to take care of itself. it's a nice thought though.

~ spike

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

never had a flu shot or the flu

i'll continue to roll the dice

Citizen of Gilead sleeplessdwarf is on a distinguished road sleeplessdwarf's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I will be getting it. I and my 3 yr old have also had the regular flu shots. Him two years, myself 4. I have not had the flu in years. I did have a very bad case of viral Pneumonia, that required two weeks of quarantine. Not fun at all. I may have to have my spleen removed soon, so I also have had the pneumonia vaccine, meningitis, and a 3rd I can't remember. Those three are needed without a spleen. I used to be very weary of vaccines in general, but I have done a good deal of reading about the swine flu shot. It seems to be doing good in trials, and since it was not rushed out to the public like last time, I feel a bit safer. We just had an 18 yr old nearby die from the swine flu. I have had 2 kids home for a week with flu/swine flu, not sure which. it was very scary thinking I could get it or my 3yr old. After reading a story of a man in New Zealand who was 34 and in very good health catching it. I made up my mind. This guy had no previous problems with the flu. He rode his bike miles each day. He had fever and cough for about 3 days before he moved his bed to the living room so he did not disturb his wife. On the 5th day he was much worse and the wife took him to the hospital. They had to put him in a 11 day induced coma and life support till they could get him better. He dropped 34 pounds and nearly died. His wife and 5 yr old were not infected. Given the randomness of this flu and how it seems to really be a luck of the draw on if you survive or not, I'll take my chances that the vaccine being made this go around, is a safer choice.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

i live in texas and a friend of mine had a daughter that had a friend that died from the flu.the child was 14 and made national news. it all just depends on how you look at things and decide for yourself. me personally i have never had a flu shot and probably will not get one. but if my child needs it then i will get it for them.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Traveler murlodin is on a distinguished road murlodin's Avatar

Told you I'm a med student, and day by day I see patients in the hospital with the AH1N1 flu. It's a disease that CAN be prevented if people just cared about it, example: if you got the symptoms, you really need to get tested. That way we can prevent so many cases in the whole world... but then, we're only people.

About the vaccine... well, let me tell you that a virus (especially this one) mutates A LOT during one year. So, this vaccine will ONLY be effective against certain type of flu. If the virus continues in the world for a couple of years more, it'll be different every single time. A vaccine is made of dead (or only weakened) virus that interacts with your body and in that way you can create antibodies. By itself, the human body is weak against this flu unless it gets treated. It developes quickly, lows your defenses and let another disease (bacterial, fungus or anything else) get into your body. The so called "swine flu" does not kill you, the opportunistic infections do.

Why the eldery people and the childs? As you have said, they're a group of persons that can easily get the flu. But then, what happens to the rest of the people who doesn't gets the shot? They get the flu. If you read the reports of deaths, you can see that most of them were (and will be) of the group of persons between 18 and 40 approximately, I don't have the exact numbers right here with me. That's the real risk group, by now. But of course, also childs and elder people dies. No one is safe, really. It's just a flu, after all, and everyone can get it like it was another flu.

It's serious, this AH1N1 flu issue, and let me tell you, I beg ya, that dying of this is an awful way of dying. I've seen it, and I'm afraid I'll see it for a long time now.

Wanna take the shot? Go ahead. Don't wanna take it? Go ahead. The problem is that it will become available first to us, the ones that are in direct touch with those patients, and of course people in risk groups. If there's more vaccines, then probably it will be distributed to certain populations. Don't worry, just take care of yourselfs: follow the recommendations of washing hands, avoiding clumping of people, etc... and don't go into panic, 'cause that's the worse thing we can do.

If you need some especific information about the flu or anything related, let me know.

Greetings from first line of the battle,
    M騙ico.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

voted "no" - have never been vaccinated, and don't think I ever will

Many thanks to murlodin for his post!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't had a vaccine since I was in elementary school. Those I had no choice about. Now that I do I think I'll pass.

I won't tell my way of dealing with sickness.
    Spoiler:
    ...for fear of pissing the medical people off.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I値l be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Vaccines...I am not a fan.

Country
    Country Flag

coz i am shocked. shocked i tell you.

and now snuggle up children, it's story time. this is an early morning aim exchange with a friend:

friend: well it's not like u have to worry about swine flu cuz ur jewish.
    me: uh huh.
    me: wait. what??????? (yes i'll admit it. i was not paying attention because she was just rambling on and i was tired - i know, i'm a bad friend)
    friend: well u don't eat bacon or pork right. cause ur jewish.
    me: WAIT. WHAT???????
    friend: ur jewish so u don't eat pig so u don't have to worry about the swine flu.
    me: no i don't eat pork but that is completely beside the point.
    me: you do realize that you don't get swine flu that way don't you.
    me: here, let me google that for you.
    me: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=transmission+vectors+for+swine+flu

"here let me google that for you" is one of my favorite things to say in an im conversation when someone says something completely stupid or when someone asks me to look something up for them. :evil turtle is evil:

but i mean really? eating pork and getting the swine flu? is she living under a fucking rock or something? oh. my. god.

~ spike

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

See! I thought you got swine flu by having sex with pigs! The cdc really needs to make more of an effort to educate people...I mean really.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually, IF you are having sex with pigs, I suspect you might contract it....along with some diseases we don't even know about yet.

I'd say any physical sickness is balanced by your mental sickness though.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I got my yearly flu vaccine yesterday at my work, and will get the Swine Flu vaccine when it is ready as well.

...I'm Scottish... its free!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think i'd skip it if it were free...or even mandatory. I rarely get sick so I ain't risking screwing my luck up.

If you rescue me

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

I voted no. Because it is not seen here much.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I haven't had a vaccine since I was in elementary school. Those I had no choice about. Now that I do I think I'll pass.

I won't tell my way of dealing with sickness.
    Spoiler:
    ...for fear of pissing the medical people off.
    Maybe you can tell that to me. So I can be the magical medical person.
    Quote Originally Posted by rosie real View Post
    coz i am shocked. shocked i tell you.

and now snuggle up children, it's story time. this is an early morning aim exchange with a friend:

friend: well it's not like u have to worry about swine flu cuz ur jewish.
    me: uh huh.
    me: wait. what??????? (yes i'll admit it. i was not paying attention because she was just rambling on and i was tired - i know, i'm a bad friend)
    friend: well u don't eat bacon or pork right. cause ur jewish.
    me: WAIT. WHAT???????
    friend: ur jewish so u don't eat pig so u don't have to worry about the swine flu.
    me: no i don't eat pork but that is completely beside the point.
    me: you do realize that you don't get swine flu that way don't you.
    me: here, let me google that for you.
    me: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=transmission+vectors+for+swine+flu

"here let me google that for you" is one of my favorite things to say in an im conversation when someone says something completely stupid or when someone asks me to look something up for them. :evil turtle is evil:

but i mean really? eating pork and getting the swine flu? is she living under a fucking rock or something? oh. my. god.
    That is an awesome friend. Hah hah ha! You can never be bored near her, if you pay attention her ideas.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, ok...it's simple really. Drink a whole family sized bottle of Nyquil, Robitussin, whatever then crank the heat and get under a bunch of thick blankets. You'll likely hallucinate before you pass out, sleep extremely deeply, and sweat nearly any sickness out. You'll wake up feeling 90% normal...if a little hungover too. It probably isn't something a doctor would recommend (neither do I for that matter really), but for me it works almost every time.

Edit: If you're stupid enough to follow my lead on this one you wanna' be sure you don't have ANY thing you have to do in the near future. You may end up sleeping as long as a day or two. Oh, and this probably isn't entirely safe.

If you rescue me

Citizen of Gilead sleeplessdwarf is on a distinguished road sleeplessdwarf's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Actually Brice, this used to be how we were treated as kids. It was quite common to sweat out a fever. When I first checked in with pneumonia years back, I can safely say that would have killed me . I was running 104.9 temp and it took them 2.5 days to bring it down with lots of meds. After the fever was down around 101, the nurse told me she was there there on my first night, and she did not expect to see me when she returned.

High fevers and the bacterial pneumonia seems to be what is killing most that catch the swine flu. They also advise getting the pneumonia vaccine and I am lucky enough to already have that one. So if the fever doesn't kill me, maybe I'll survive a bout if I don't get the vaccine.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I meant downing the full family sized bottle of cough medicine might not be considered safe.

If you rescue me

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast